Caffeine Detox Time

• Thread starter Thread starter LiE
  • Start date Start date
Yeah if you don't have a coffee for 40 years you're back to square one if you slip up just once.

Come on dude :p

I'm starting to notice I'm reaching for coffee instead of hydration, with a pretty busy time in work recently involving some crunches to get stuff done overnight and then still operate the next day, this is no surprise, but it's not good at all. Will be looking to cut this down again and get some of my humanity back. I've found delaying the first caffeine hit really helps, it's a bit like IF for me in that exercising tha willpower really does something to my brain.

Last edited:
Yeah if you don't have a coffee for 40 years you're back to square one if you slip up just once.

Come on dude :p
Clearly not after 40 years but what if 1 cup sets you back 2 weeks. I have no idea how caffeine works or how the Detox works. If you drink daily do you need a solid long period of time with zero caffeine or can keep drinking reduced amounts? Would drinking 1 cup a week stop the body from fully detoxing. How long does the Detox need to be?

Clearly not after 40 years but what if 1 cup sets you back 2 weeks. I have no idea how caffeine works or how the Detox works. If you drink daily do you need a solid long period of time with zero caffeine or can keep drinking reduced amounts? Would drinking 1 cup a week stop the body from fully detoxing. How long does the Detox need to be?
There are a lot of variables. To keep it simple if you take a few weeks off caffeine and start drinking again you will need less to get the same effect as before.

Huberman has a good video on caffeine.

If we're keeping each other honest and accountable, I relapsed today - had a monster energy drink.

Clearly me enjoying less anxiety, better focus, and improved sleep wasn't worth it.

Honestly feel a bit gutted, we're fickle creatures, aren't we? :)

It's all good, just chalk it up and carry on tomorrow with no caffeine.

Don't use the slip up as a free pass to use caffeine every day now.

Totally off the bandwagon now, normally having a hot caffeinated beverage once a day which seems to be keeping me level, but definitely knocking my sleep.

Anyone else?

Last edited:
Totally off the bandwagon now, normally having a hot caffeinated beverage once a day which seems to be keeping me level, but definitely knocking my sleep.

Anyone else?

I had a period of 5 weeks of non caffeine but then had a little here and there. Basically making sure I don't have it on consecutive days to ensure a habit and dependency doesn't form.

I had a bottle of Dr Pepper Zero yesterday, nothing today. Had a coffee on Sunday then nothing on Monday. It's working well. It's too easy to slip back into the daily habitual drinking where it starts to become a thing I need just to function, it no longer has the benefits, it's a dependency.

Chris Williamson follows this way. I'm not saying I'm using this protocol, I'm aiming for a no caffeine with occasionally have 1.

Last edited:
I had a period of 5 weeks of non caffeine but then had a little here and there. Basically making sure I don't have it on consecutive days to ensure a habit and dependency doesn't form.

I had a bottle of Dr Pepper Zero yesterday, nothing today. Had a coffee on Sunday then nothing on Monday. It's working well. It's too easy to slip back into the daily habitual drinking where it starts to become a thing I need just to function, it no longer has the benefits, it's a dependency.

Chris Williamson follows this way. I'm not saying I'm using this protocol, I'm aiming for a no caffeine with occasionally have 1.

Watch Chris Williamson's videos/podcasts quite often, found myself a fan of his work.

However, he's just launched a caffeinated drink himself, along with James Smith; I bought some from Amazon and they're quite good. I'd like to know how that plays into his caffeinated philosophy, possibly similar to yours, use it sparingly and not consecutively.

I've been doing one coffee at 7am when I wake then no more after. That's had me feeling pretty good lately. Sleeping a bit more consistent.

Weekends I tend to drink them later in the day and it does affect my ability to sleep at a reasonable time.

I've also cut back on the booze which has had a very obvious effect on my sleep though.

I've also cut back on the booze which has had a very obvious effect on my sleep though.

Had a work event last week where I drank too much and for the first time in a long time, it really impacted my sleep. I just couldn't switch off, and I wasn't "drunk" as such, so much as very tipsy. I'd been drinking steadily over 6 hours, and when it came to going to bed I just couldn't wind down, and the next morning had the usual post-drinking anxiety riddled feeling.

Really does mess me about.

Had a work event last week where I drank too much and for the first time in a long time, it really impacted my sleep. I just couldn't switch off, and I wasn't "drunk" as such, so much as very tipsy. I'd been drinking steadily over 6 hours, and when it came to going to bed I just couldn't wind down, and the next morning had the usual post-drinking anxiety riddled feeling.

I didn't realise how much it messed with my sleep until I cut right back to maybe 1 or 2 beers a week. Now I'm having solid sleep with vivid dreams. Hoping to keep myself off the alcohol long term now.

I think 1 coffee a morning is still an enjoyable routine for me though so Ill likely not detox from caffeine for a while yet.

Have you watched the Huberman stuff on when to time your first morning coffee?

I have watched a lot of Huberman but don't recall that so I'll watch his caffeine one.

To be honest the timing for mine is pretty much set by the gap between me waking and then setting off for work. I'd say I drink a coffee within 30 mins of waking then no more until the same time the next day.

It seems to work OK for me and means I don't risk having a coffee mug in the office and neck coffee all day.

Did you have mixers that had caffeine in them?

after a couple of sleepless weeks I need to bin off caffeine, shouldn't be a big loss, it's mostly coke for me rather than coffee or tea. binning off junk food in general too, should feel a lot better, fingers crossed.

last few days, I've been having too much caffeine and my heart has been in arhythm, and everything turns so dramatic. It's annoying when it gets to that point- you no longer get the rush from caffeine, but you get all the negatives.
What I want to know is how many days do you have to go off caffeine to get the caffeine rush again?
I use caffeine to deal with ADHD, but when caffeine doesn't do it's stuff, then you're kind of screwed.

Back
Top Bottom