Poll: Canadian Grand Prix 2019, Montréal - Race 7/21

Rate the 2019 Canadian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
I think it is the worst excuse that any F1 team has ever come up with. It's like a kid who hasn't done their homework, isn't smart enough to come up with a good excuse and just goes for the easiest answer, 'I forgot'. What is easy to forget on occasions such as these is that Ferrari is a team with a budget of several hundred million.

Soldato
I haven’t denied the penalty since the FIA said they had all data backing up their decision have I?

I’m arguing about the claims that he was deliberately trying to put Hamilton into the wall because that is clearly horse ****.

They do have Vettel checking his mirrors to see where Hamilton was before steering right to block him out, and then Hamilton is pushed off the track and has to brake. If that had been a corner with run off and you're hanging a driver out to dry, it's one thing. Leaving the track, coming back unsafely, then trying to keep the position by squeezing a driver against a wall so he has a choice of backing off, crashing into Vettel, or crashing into the wall? That deserves a penalty, and only getting five seconds was particularly generous of the stewards.

Even if you accept that it wasn't a deliberate act by Vettel (which the stewards did not believe), then he must have been out of control, and thus guilty of rejoining the track in an unsafe manner, and deserves the penalty for that.

Soldato
Well I play football as a hobby and can score a penalty just fine, but could I do it in a Pro match with the pressure turned up - probably not. Maybe you should send your racing CV into Mattia Binotto :p
Waste of time... I will never drive for Ferrari! Should Toto come knocking though... :p

Man of Honour
Journalist - So, Mattia, did you inform Leclerc of Vettel's penalty?
Binotto - Sorry? Lecl... Who?
Jornalist - Your other driver?
Binotto - We have another driver?

Ferrari are incapable of running a 2 car team. God knows what would have happened if the 3 car teams that were proposed a few years ago actually happened.

Soldato
the data shows he did deliberately try to stop hamilton. Your denying FIA's facts. contradicting yourself...
I'm not denying any FIA facts. You're not reading what I'm writing. Deliberately trying to stop Hamilton != deliberately trying to put Hamilton in the wall.

If the FIA thought that he had actively tried to put him into the wall then I'd be expecting more than a 5 second penalty.

Soldato
I'm not denying any FIA facts. You're not reading what I'm writing. Deliberately trying to stop Hamilton != deliberately trying to put Hamilton in the wall.

If the FIA thought that he had actively tried to put him into the wall then I'd be expecting more than a 5 second penalty.

If Hamilton stayed on the racing line and hadn't braked to avoid Vettel, he would have been pushed into the wall. Vettel did the move that would have pushed Hamilton into the wall, and then waited to see if Hamilton was going to take avoiding action.

That course of action started as soon as Vettel went off and kept his foot down in the hope of getting the car back and on the track before Hamilton could get around the corner (on the tarmac). Instead of rejoining the track safely, he blasted out and across knowing if he could do it fast enough, he'd be in a position to force Hamilton to back off instead of overtaking.

Caporegime
What a race for Renault
DR put in an amazing performance and even kept Bottas behind him for a fair few laps
I agree with the Renault team orders at end Of Riccardo didn't try and keep. Bottas behind he probably wouldn't have been taken by hulk.

I personally don't agree with the penalty. Its borderline on rules but not great for entertainment.

Gasly is dire. He won't last much longer.

Its amazing how the midfield can change so much race to race. Like KM getting told off. They flip flop with Renault from best of the rest to second from last it's crazy.

Soldato
Ferrari are incapable of running a 2 car team. God knows what would have happened if the 3 car teams that were proposed a few years ago actually happened.
Binotto was a poor appointment, they should have kept Arrivabene, the only reason he failed was because Vettel kept screwing up. Now we still have Vettel screwing up (shocker), Ferrari themselves don't seem to know which of their drivers should be in front of the other on-track, and now the boss forgets one of them because he's got his head buried up the other ones backside.

People complain about Merc dominating and making it boring but Ferrari certainly don't deserve to be up there with them right now or any time soon.

Man of Honour
Binotto was a poor appointment, they should have kept Arrivabene, the only reason he failed was because Vettel kept screwing up. Now we still have Vettel screwing up (shocker), Ferrari themselves don't seem to know which of their drivers should be in front of the other on-track, and now the boss forgets one of them because he's got his head buried up the other ones backside.

People complain about Merc dominating and making it boring but Ferrari certainly don't deserve to be up there with them right now or any time soon.

It’s actually quite sad when you think about what these guys get paid. Ferrari are literally carried by their huge budget currently. There is much greater talent across the board in many other teams, not just Mercedes.

Man of Honour
Anyone else just see the video posted by F1 showing Lewis offering to pick up seb when he stopped at the start of the pit lane? Great sportsman ship. I really love the respect between these two.

Caporegime

You realise Arrivabene was replaced in like, January, meaning the concept for this car and almost everything made for this season was nearly finished before Binotto took over? In general they'll start some work on the next years car pretty much start of the season, they'll be finishing the major design points towards the end of the season and be building the car over winter while working on further upgrades and tweaks for it.

All the strategy calls, though many were completely overplayed, were under Arrivabene's watch. In general a new guy takes over, takes a few months, analyses what he wants to change and starts making those changes. He only just started reorganising the technical structure which I believe was said to be giving individual departments a bit more autonomy and leadership, etc.

If Binotto is good or not pretty much starts showing up next year or even the year after. If he's started headhunting people he wants then those can take time to bring in, starting in Jan then he won't have had a chance to make many or really any senior engineering changes before the season is over and they'll be pretty late for working on next years car.

Also on top of that Ferrari were so competitive in 2017 and 18 primarily due to the massive headstart they had from unlimiting testing in 2015. Again I'll say either they wasted time spending all that time testing a dead end 2016 concept, or they spent all that time coming up with the best 2017 car they could. They made a HUGE leap forward on chassis between 2016 and 2017 and were for me around equally as good as Merc over those two seasons.

Either way it's WAY too early to be blaming Binotto for this year's car or lack of changes at Ferrari. Bosses at teams take time to make and implement changes and most of this car was designed and built with Arrivabene calling the shots and having had the same several years himself to make the personnel/structure changes he wanted.

Soldato
You realise Arrivabene was replaced in like, January, meaning the concept for this car and almost everything made for this season was nearly finished before Binotto took over? In general they'll start some work on the next years car pretty much start of the season, they'll be finishing the major design points towards the end of the season and be building the car over winter while working on further upgrades and tweaks for it.

All the strategy calls, though many were completely overplayed, were under Arrivabene's watch. In general a new guy takes over, takes a few months, analyses what he wants to change and starts making those changes. He only just started reorganising the technical structure which I believe was said to be giving individual departments a bit more autonomy and leadership, etc.

If Binotto is good or not pretty much starts showing up next year or even the year after. If he's started headhunting people he wants then those can take time to bring in, starting in Jan then he won't have had a chance to make many or really any senior engineering changes before the season is over and they'll be pretty late for working on next years car.

Also on top of that Ferrari were so competitive in 2017 and 18 primarily due to the massive headstart they had from unlimiting testing in 2015. Again I'll say either they wasted time spending all that time testing a dead end 2016 concept, or they spent all that time coming up with the best 2017 car they could. They made a HUGE leap forward on chassis between 2016 and 2017 and were for me around equally as good as Merc over those two seasons.

Either way it's WAY too early to be blaming Binotto for this year's car or lack of changes at Ferrari. Bosses at teams take time to make and implement changes and most of this car was designed and built with Arrivabene calling the shots and having had the same several years himself to make the personnel/structure changes he wanted.
Just like in football, When a manager comes onboard, he is still working with players, staff and tactics that were embeded by the previous manager.

It takes a whole season or two for the new manager to start shifting the dead weight of players and staff and embed his own tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom