Cannot format new HDD

Associate
I bought a couple of 4tb drives to allow me to clone a couple of WD NAS drives before sending them back to WD to have the data recovered from them. When I tried to clone the 1st drive, it seemed to be taking ages to clone - c48 hours - so I abandoned the cloning process. I was using a double external dock to do the cloning.

Trying to now re format the drive in Windows 10, it won’t do it. I’ve tried umpteen times, without success.

Is there a trick to being able to re format the drive? I’ve been told that the NAS drives were Linux based and that might be the reason that it won’t format. Is it because I tried to clone it using a dual dock to clone it that is causing it not to format?

I’ve since used macrium to successfully clone both drives now (bought a 3rd drive) and everything went smoothly in a handful of hours.

Thanks.

Soldato
You'll most likely need to remove any existing partitions as a first step. If Disk Management doesn't allow it try DiskPart instead (carefully so you don't wipe the wrong drive).

Don
You'll most likely need to remove any existing partitions as a first step. If Disk Management doesn't allow it try DiskPart instead (carefully so you don't wipe the wrong drive).

Yup

Be careful with it, but this is how you do it.

Open CMD as admin
diskpart
list disk
select disk X
clean

Then use diskmgmt.msc to start over

Associate
OP
What are you using to try to reformat and what happens (e.g. error messages) when you do?

I am using the disk management tool within computer management - Windows 10. The drive is in a Fideco external hard drive docking station. I’ve just completed it again: The virtual disk management error message reads “The format did not complete successfully”

After the format has completed, drive l shows in devices and drives, but when I try to access it I get “l:\ is not accessible, The semaphore timeout period has expired” - although it doesn’t look like I could access it any way, as it doesn’t show details of free and used space as the other drives do.

Also, after trying to format it, in disk management it is showing as 3726.02GB RAW. Healthy (basic data partition)

OK, not too familiar with using command prompt. Could you talk me through that?

Associate
OP
Yup

Open CMD as admin
diskpart
list disk
select disk X
clean

excellent, thanks. I’ll give it a go.

please ignore my previous request for help - posted as the last comment came in. Thanks.

Associate
OP
Yup

Open CMD as admin
diskpart
list disk
select disk X
clean

I used diskpart, and that seemed to work, but when I tried to then format it, it is still running the format - 10 hours later! It shouldn’t take that long, should it? Is that perhaps because there was data on it?

I’ll leave it running overnight, see what happens in the morning.

Soldato
Did you select full or quick format? You really only need quick format and all it does is re-write the directory on the disk to mark the data area as available. If you go for a full format then it checks every sector on the disk, whether it has data or not.

From what you've been saying, I suspect your docking station is not playing nicely but let's see what happens when the format finishes.

Soldato
I had a couple of hard disks which were ex-Sky box drives which had a custom formatted and refused to reformat using diskpart when they were plugged into an external USB3 docking station. It wasn't until I bought one of those 5 1/4" drive bay docking stations which plug into the mobo sata port I was able to reset them so I could format, so maybe connect via a proper sata port rather than doing it in a USB docking station, if the format is still playing up that is.

Associate
OP
Did you select full or quick format? You really only need quick format and all it does is re-write the directory on the disk to mark the data area as available. If you go for a full format then it checks every sector on the disk, whether it has data or not.

From what you've been saying, I suspect your docking station is not playing nicely but let's see what happens when the format finishes.

Yes, it was a full format that I chose. It’s still formatting, some 24 hours later! The light on the docking station isn’t flashing, not sure if that’s an issue? I would have assumed that if it were formatting and accessing the drive that it would have been flashing?

Funny that you mention about the docking station. It’s a new one (2 weeks or so) and a few times when I’ve installed the disk into it, it hasn’t been recognised, didn’t realise there was a disk there or just kept spinning the disk with no outcome. Reseating the disk(s) sorted that out.

Associate
OP
I had a couple of hard disks which were ex-Sky box drives which had a custom formatted and refused to reformat using diskpart when they were plugged into an external USB3 docking station. It wasn't until I bought one of those 5 1/4" drive bay docking stations which plug into the mobo sata port I was able to reset them so I could format, so maybe connect via a proper sata port rather than doing it in a USB docking station, if the format is still playing up that is.

When, or if, the format finishes I think I will try this. The docking station does appear flaky tbh. Thanks.

Associate
OP
Absolutely not. Time to give up and try something different.

OK, I've abandoned that. I've run diskpart again. Any suggestions as to how to proceed? Would it be best to try and attach the disk internally, as someone else suggested? Is there any other software that could be used to help format?

Associate
OP
I would.

If Windows won't handle it you've got other problems.

Let me know if I've done this correctly:

Attached the drive internally, with power and data cables. Opened diskpart & chosen disk, then clean (took approx 2 seconds to complete?)

In Disk Management, right clicked on drive and initialised disk. Right clicked on main disk area, chose simple volume, changed name and chose quick format.

Is this correct? If so, that's been 7 hours to do a quick format. That's not right, surely.

Associate
OP
Give DiskGenius a go, there's a portable version if you don't want to install anything.

I've opened up DiskGenius - thanks for the link(s), and this is the message that it is presenting me with:

Read Sector Error! Disk: HD1:ST4000VN008-2DR166(3726GB) From Sector: 0. 1 Sector(s) Total. (Err:1117 The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.)
Read Sector Error! Disk: HD1:ST4000VN008-2DR166(3726GB) From Sector: 1. 1 Sector(s) Total. (Err:1117 The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.)
Read Sector Error! Disk: HD1:ST4000VN008-2DR166(3726GB) From Sector: 2. 1 Sector(s) Total. (Err:536871177 IO Device Timeout.)
Read Sector Error! Disk: HD1:ST4000VN008-2DR166(3726GB) From Sector: 3. 1 Sector(s) Total. (Err:536871177 IO Device Timeout.)

If Windows won't handle it you've got other problems.

Do I have other problems, based on the above?

Associate
I've opened up DiskGenius - thanks for the link(s), and this is the message that it is presenting me with:

Read Sector Error! Disk: HD1:ST4000VN008-2DR166(3726GB) From Sector: 0. 1 Sector(s) Total. (Err:1117 The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.)
Read Sector Error! Disk: HD1:ST4000VN008-2DR166(3726GB) From Sector: 1. 1 Sector(s) Total. (Err:1117 The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.)
Read Sector Error! Disk: HD1:ST4000VN008-2DR166(3726GB) From Sector: 2. 1 Sector(s) Total. (Err:536871177 IO Device Timeout.)
Read Sector Error! Disk: HD1:ST4000VN008-2DR166(3726GB) From Sector: 3. 1 Sector(s) Total. (Err:536871177 IO Device Timeout.)

Do I have other problems, based on the above?

Yep.

I/O errors and timeouts would initially suggest a dead or failing disk (which would also explain the original issues you were having).

Associate
OP
Yep.

I/O errors and timeouts would initially suggest a dead or failing disk (which would also explain the original issues you were having).

Thanks, I feared as much.

Is this something that I could go back to the retailer with (bought Aug 23rd) - or did I likely do this myself by aborting the initial clone?

Back
Top Bottom