Cannot format new HDD

Associate
Thanks, I feared as much.

Is this something that I could go back to the retailer with - or did I likely do this myself by aborting the initial clone?

It's probably worth contacting them. I can't think of a way that the clone could have caused the errors - more likely they were there to start with and are what caused the extended runtime leading to you to abort the clone in the first place.

Soldato
You said you were using a double external dock, have you tried connecting the drive directly to rule out if the problem is with the dock or the drive?

Soldato
Its funny how hard disks put you through various stages of denial when they are dead/dying. Its one of those things in the computing sphere that you always think you can do something to bring it back to life, especially if its a new drive or otherwise hardly used. Had it myself recently with a work USB3 external backup drive which got next to no use, so couldn't possibly have been worn out, but developed a write error and I went through the full gamete of apps to try and get around the error. Then you eventually realise the disk is dead, or in this case simply not to be relied upon as a backup drive, and then you literally throw it in the bin (if out of warranty).

Associate
OP
Thanks to everyone on here for their help. I’ve (we’ve!) given it our best shot, but no luck. I got in touch with the sellers, and they have issued a replacement, which was very good of them.

I’ve also learned a few things to keep, so thanks for that.

Back
Top Bottom