Canon 5D MKIII or Nikon D800

Caporegime
What is being fabricated on the Toshiba lines will be based on what is technically possible to be fabricated using that tech. Nikon will have designed based on that. Toshiba would make no money building a bespoke fabrication facility selling sensors only to Nikon. Unless Nikon pay them very well of course!

I'm not discounting the fact that some Toshiba tech may be in some of the sensors that have a Toshiba name printed on it but Toshiba don't need to make a bespoke fab facility to create an entirely Nikon designed sensor. Just like TSMC don't make a dedicated facility just for Nvidia as An Exception points out. Silicon wafers are produced and fabbed, there is then some assembly into the packaged chip with the other components (read out lines, power circuitry, filtering etc.). This outer packaging is most likely what the Nikon design has to conform to facilitating easy production with existing facilities at the plant. The silicon design could be anything that is supported by the facility.

Soldato
Here is real world example of a RAW file from X-Pro1.
Took this pic at Westfield.

ISO 1600
Raw File

The raws look like they process really well to me in lr5. :)

rr-1.jpg

Soldato
I'm not discounting the fact that some Toshiba tech may be in some of the sensors that have a Toshiba name printed on it but Toshiba don't need to make a bespoke fab facility to create an entirely Nikon designed sensor. Just like TSMC don't make a dedicated facility just for Nvidia as An Exception points out. Silicon wafers are produced and fabbed, there is then some assembly into the packaged chip with the other components (read out lines, power circuitry, filtering etc.). This outer packaging is most likely what the Nikon design has to conform to facilitating easy production with existing facilities at the plant. The silicon design could be anything that is supported by the facility.

Which is all I was saying :) (It looks like the D7100 sensor is an updated version of the Toshiba TCM5105 sensor found in the D5200?)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Only the brown one left in stock at Amazon now which is annoying as it's £50 more, I was keen for a cheap one.

I hesitated, there was 1 left when I first thought about it last night, by the time I was committed it was gone.

But it's okay, I don't mind waiting, as long as it is sent and voucher sent out before end of January in time to buy the 35mm to get that cash back too.

olv

olv

Soldato
Which colour did you order?

The bit that concerns me is "Purchases must be made between Tuesday 12th November 2013 and Thursday 16th January 2014" so if I order the silver or black and it's not shipped by the 12th Jan (leaving Amazon 3 days to credit the £100) then it won't be possible to claim the £100 on the 35mm. Decisions, might just go with the brown.

Back
Top Bottom