Can't believe the state of the XBOX 360 DVD playback....

Permabanned
OP
I just find it bizarre that a console that is supposed to be the best media device on the planet cant manage normal DVD playback. Im not saying that I want amazing picture, hi def or anything like that, just normal credible DVD performance equal to a £50 player.

I mean the CPU is multithreaded and runs at 3.2GHz, come on....they even give you a special DVD remote control (premium).

It amazes me!

Soldato
well i've just put it on mines for the first time.

Seems to be ok, put on Max and Paddy. Sure the quality aint great, but i am putting that down to possible scaling or sommit, probably cos i am runing it through my monitor.
no frames missing though :D

Soldato
I dumped my sony dvd player because playback was equally as good on the 360. My only annoyance is that some dvd's exhibit frame loss and the voices go out of synch E.G Pirates/Carribbean. Other then that, its comparable to WinDVD running on my pc tbh. There is room for improvement on the dvd player though, and I hope its possible by MS via a dashboard update.

Watching Lotr1 atm as I write this and its nice and clear. I do recall seeing one solution for the lip synch issues though - dropping from 60hz to 50hz apparently fixes it. I just can't remember how to get back to that bit.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've found Sony's "quality" to be pants aswell the past few years. I mean, their Plasma and LCD TVs are c**p.

Panasonic are better :D But then again, that's my personal opinion.

Back on topic, I've never had any issues with my 360's DVD playback although I've not used it that much to be honest.

Soldato
RAH RAH, M$ CRAP SONY GREAT

NO NO M$ GREAT SONY CRAP....

Please lets not make this thread something it isn't :)

Edit- sorry not a wanna be don, just interested as when I finally get my hands on a 360 i'd quite like it to replace my DVD player and didn't want the thread going down the toilet.

Man of Honour
Breamy said:
thats what u get for buying microsoft c**p. sony quality is much better

Cut the fanboy/megatroll rubbish mate, besides, the PS2 DVD player is shocking compared to the Xbox DVD player, but both are pretty pants compared to a good quality, separate player.

Soldato
Breamy said:
thats what u get for buying microsoft c**p. sony quality is much better

Oh dear, Sony 'quality' is actually pretty pants now. Many less fasionable names like Panasonic or Samsung are actually surpassing them (quite easily) thesedays.

I myself have had no issues with the 360's DVD playback, but then again I dont use it regularly and dont expect anything amazing from a console, regardless of what other tricks it may do.

Standalone devices will always be far better.

Soldato
Spit said:
I must have a dud machine then......

Possible, but then mines the same too, dropped frames particularly noticable on various DVDs I tried. Not a patch on my DVD player/recorder.
Shame really, but I aint too bothered.

After a quick search around it appears its down to having your Xbox set to PAL 60 mode (according to a few on AVForums) will have to try that later.

Associate
Bobbler said:
Possible, but then mines the same too, dropped frames particularly noticable on various DVDs I tried. Not a patch on my DVD player/recorder.
Shame really, but I aint too bothered.

After a quick search around it appears its down to having your Xbox set to PAL 60 mode (according to a few on AVForums) will have to try that later.

How do you mean PAL 60 mode?

Permabanned
The dvd playback on the 360 is awfull its a common fact. My 40 quid player plays dvds with a much better quality that the 360.

Just get a cheap dvd player....i know its bad but its the only way.

Caporegime
I've got a nice Toshiba Progressive scan DVD player connected to my Plasma using the Component interface quality is fantastic, put a dvd in the 360 yesterday (Pulp Fiction :) ) and the quality was alright, no lip sync issues and no frame loss.

I think the 360 is a perfectly adequate dvd player for those not wanting the best picture, remember its a console not something trying to compete against a £200 Pioneer / Panasonic DVD player.

Soldato
I remember reading somewhere (possibly AV Forums) that the 360 is using the same software for DVD playback as a major PC DVD software maker. I just can't remember which one, might of been WinDVD :o

Anyway, the point is that the PC version is suppose to be much higher quality so the there is a good chance that the 360 version could be updated in the future to resolve the poor playback.

Sorry I can't provide a link, I saw it a while ago when looking at what the 360 could handle media wise.

Associate
Another one here with good picture quality :) (tested side by side with a Toshiba 330E on a Quintrix F CRT, both look the same to me, but the Tosh is using an inferior cable)
Im not so happy about the sound though, the 360 sounds dull with not much detail with DVDs and MP3s compared to the 330E.

Associate
Guys, go into Dashboard -> System -> Console Settings -> Display -> PAL Settings then set to PAL 50 if its not already and see if that makes the playback any better for you.

Associate
My playback is fine better then say the PS2 but still not that great when compaired to a standalone DVD player
but to be honest i expected that you cant have it all for £280!! lol

You already have the most powerful games console EVER made with state of the art tech under the hood for under £280..............!!!!!

I mean the little gripes i have with my 360s DVD playback just pale in to the background once i power up PGR3 :D

Besides the DVD playback is software driven so it wouldnt suprise me if microsoft update the DVD players software via live in the future

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom