Can't believe the state of the XBOX 360 DVD playback....

Soldato
Perhaps the problem is running not through a high def screen, it looks great on mine, its on a par with my upscaling samsung HD950 - so much so ive chucked that upstairs to run on my dell LCD, and just use the xbox on my samsung HD tv downstairs.

Soldato
the people complaining of jerky picture.....are you watching NTSC encoded material or does it do it with PAL region 2 DVDs aswell?

Just that a couple of poeple have mentioned its worse when panning scenes which sounds like classic 3:2 pulldown to me.

Soldato
Sagalout said:
the people complaining of jerky picture.....are you watching NTSC encoded material or does it do it with PAL region 2 DVDs aswell?

Just that a couple of poeple have mentioned its worse when panning scenes which sounds like classic 3:2 pulldown to me.

The DVDs I have tested with it where
War of the Worlds (PAL - Region 2)
Gladiator (PAL -Region 2)

Connected at 480p (16:9) via MS Offical component cable to a Tosh 36ZP48.

I will have a play over the weekend and see if some other DVDs get similar results/better results.

Soldato
Simply couldn't live with the noise from my 360 as a DVD player. The old Xbox was bad enough but at least I felt the picture was ok. Not so happy with the quality on the 360 so use a Tosh SD 350E instead for DVD's as it upscales nicely and has HDMI. Little point in spending 2k on a TV and then playing DVD's on a poor and noisy DVD player. The tosh was only £63 online as well.. so bargain :)

Soldato
vintage-x said:
Blinkin heck what model DVD player is that??? and which cable as well???

???
????
Its not unusal for people to spend a that kind of money on a decent DVD player.
When i bought my first DVD player (shortly after they came on the scene 1998) it was £800, and ive still got it.
The Sony DVD recorder i bought last year was £550.
And on the only DVD i've watched on my 360 (Neon Genesis Evangelion, i know i am sad) was fine.

Last edited:
Associate
Memphis said:
Based on other posts aswell as this one, you won't be around here long.

Anywho, to stay on topic, I also have a problem with the DVD playback from the 360.

I have a Dell W2600 panel and I would quite like to use the 360's scalability to watch my DVDs through the hi-def component input. The picture I find is great overall but for some strange reason, I get a sort of black shaded banding across the screen dependant on where light sources are or the general contrast of the picture. It's really odd and admittedly quite hard to describe. Anyone get what I mean?

It only happens from DVD video. I can watch downloaded hi-def trailers through the 360 and they do not have this problem. Doesn't happen in games either. Doesn't happen when I plug the PS2 or original Xbox in and watch a DVD through them either. Really strange.

Really strange it may be, but that makes two of us. Mines on a Panasonic PA700 projector. I have no idea what it could be.

Al

Associate
Worthy said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossmac
Xbox 1 doesnt upscale it to 720p, best it can do it 480p.

Quote:
Can XBMC play DVDs and videos in 480p, 720p or 1080i?

1. Yes, ofcourse. You need to have a suitable AV cable (the HDTV cable pack for instance) and you need to enable the modes you want in the Microsoft Dashboard. Once that is done, XBMC will allow you to choose these resolutions in Settings->User Interface. To upsample videos to the GUI resolution (such as 720p for instance), you must enable “Upsample videos to GUI resolution” in Settings->My Videos?.

Yeah of course XBMC can do that, but that wasn't to do with a modified Xbox. The best a normal Xbox can do is 480p, and thats even when you can actually enable the HD Settings by which you have to change your xbox to NTSC to get the settings.

Does the xbox 360 also only play at 480p at best?

Soldato
Bobbler said:
Jeez, theres no need to get all heated up about it. Some people are saying they have a problem and notice issues with the playback, some are saying they find nothing wrong with it.
Its all pie in the sky anyway as there are endless amounts of 360 configs (resolutions, pal modes, connection type, the actual movie your playing etc etc) before you even get onto the quality of the display too, or indeed what its being compared to (20 quid Lidl special or a top end unit).
No ones calling you a liar or blind, theres a difference of opinion its as simple as that. Theres really no need to go on a defensive against anyone (except the troll earlier) as we are all talking about the same machine which we own and love.
Personally I just stated I had dropped frames too to help alleviate the OP fears of having a dodgy unit and didnt really expect this to turn into a slagging match between the for and against camp.
Ho hum, another day of internet "debate"
its just that usually what i have talked about happens, tho not in this thread.

Soldato
finally got my PSU back from the repair centre last yesterday so at last I could use my 360 \o/

Ok it is a games console but MS are marketing it as a media centre also... I found the DVD playback pretty poor although I do have mine currently set to Pal 60 so I'll be changing that later. Although that will probably only sort the lost frames\juddering issue, I can't see it making much difference to the picture quality? It doesn't support DTS either which is disappointing. The likelyhood of me picking up the HD-DVD add-on later in the year is extremely slim...

Bit disappointed with it at the moment as I was looking to use it as a media player also, but I might as well stick with the media centre pc as it's quieter... ho hum.

Soldato
NokkonWud said:
Are you sure? I was certain it did..

Well I thought I had read somewhere that it did, but you are unable to set it to DTS in the sounds options and if I set it via the DVD menu I get no sound output. I'm most likely doing something wrong, it was only last night that I finally got a chance to play around with the 360.

Back
Top Bottom