Can't believe the state of the XBOX 360 DVD playback....

Soldato
I'll try again tonight. Picked up some RCA to BNC connectors today as well so will be trying compoment input. Thinking about it the DTS indicator was flashing on the AMP but I was getting no sound...

Soldato
Mine was skipping frames all over the place to start with. Someone then suggested to me to change to PAL50 to play DVD's and it's been fine ever since.

Picture quality's on a par with my £200 Pioneer.

Last edited:
Associate
When comparing the same DVD's on my Sony standalone player vs. Xbox360 the only difference I see is that its alittle overbright on 360, by this I mean the black levels are weaker than they should be,but turning down the brightness on my CRT HDTV pretty much fixes it ..I still prefer using the Sony player as its more convenient and I dont have to mess with the tv's settings.

Soldato
Well erm, schoolboy error... for some reason I had the input on my amp set to dolby digital rather than DTS... DTS flashing symbol on the amp was obviously trying to tell me that! :D Set it back to auto now...

Things are looking better. Have component input now using 720p, my panny pwd6 doesn't support that but it's very good at downscaling. Picture is ok, not brilliant but not too bad, skipping\juddering has gone now. My std DVD is a Harman Kardon using component\progressive output so I wasn't really expecting the same picture quality. Might try a VGA cable to see what that is like, don't really want to buy another component board...

Man of Honour
Rojin said:
Well erm, schoolboy error... for some reason I had the input on my amp set to dolby digital rather than DTS... DTS flashing symbol on the amp was obviously trying to tell me that! :D Set it back to auto now...

Things are looking better. Have component input now using 720p, my panny pwd6 doesn't support that but it's very good at downscaling. Picture is ok, not brilliant but not too bad, skipping\juddering has gone now. My std DVD is a Harman Kardon using component\progressive output so I wasn't really expecting the same picture quality. Might try a VGA cable to see what that is like, don't really want to buy another component board...

You silly... schoolboy :p

Amp not got an automatic detector then?

Soldato
when i get my 360 i will not use it to play back dvds i would not risk damaging the 360 as i am the sort of person to put a dvd on fall asleep and leave running all night.Id rarther pick up a dvd player for £19 and just use that.

Associate
I will try changing mine from PAL60 to 50 as i also have a juddering screen.

Has anyone tried dual layer dvd's? I burnt a couple of movies using Verbatim dual layer dvd-r and the 360 will not play them at all.

Associate
sharpy said:
I will try changing mine from PAL60 to 50 as i also have a juddering screen.

Has anyone tried dual layer dvd's? I burnt a couple of movies using Verbatim dual layer dvd-r and the 360 will not play them at all.

I just tried one of my dual layer burns and it works fine ,I'm using Verbatim dvd+r tho (not dvd-r).

One interesting thing I noticed about 360s dvd playback is that it reads both PAL & NTSC movies, normaly an unmodded NTSC console will only read NTSC movies such as PS2 & Xbox 1, My sony standalone player wont even play PAL.

Last edited:
Associate
Where do you change from pal 60-50? I looked in the config but the only thing i can seem to change is 480p/720p/1080i

**ignore me just found out**

Last edited:
Associate
watching mr and mrs smith on the 360 now (havent got component cables for my jvc dvd player yet) and the picture quality is a lot better then i thought im using a 32" Hitechi HDTV. The pic quality is better than my dvd player but as i said I havent got component cables for that yet so I cant run progressive scan yet.
I`m also glad that it supports DTS as well.

Associate
mine seems fine :)

the tv i have says its receiving a 576p signal from the 360 when playing

dvd's if this helps anybody

when playing games it says the display is 1080i

Back
Top Bottom