Captain Marvel (2019)

Soldato
Hmmm :/(

Back from an early screening and no spoilers necessary.

This is the Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern of the marvel franchise sadly.

My view is the critics, even the critical ones and more honest YT lot are treading carefully in how they review this.

If this was the quality of film at the start of the MCU, it wouldn't have continued.

I suspect they have inflated and leaned heavily on the feminist angle to actually leverage at least some interest or discussion for this. It's just bland.

Man of Honour
I suspect they have inflated and leaned heavily on the feminist angle to actually leverage at least some interest or discussion for this.

I think anyone who's done even the slightest bit of looking in to the press around this movie knows this. I don't think it's sad that it's a misfire, placing a modern feminist agenda in to a well loved and successful franchise is a huge misstep. Financial failure is a win for the consumer as it's the only way the people at the top will ever learn that purple haired twitter screechers aren't their audience, 40 year old white dudes are.

Soldato
I think anyone who's done even the slightest bit of looking in to the press around this movie knows this. I don't think it's sad either, placing a modern feminist agenda in to a well loved franchise is a huge misstep, financial failure is a win for the consumer as it's the only way the people at the top will ever learn that the purple haired twitter screechers aren't their audience, 40 year old white dudes are.

It's not about putting the agenda in the film. It's no more than Wonder Woman was. That's irrelevant to how bland it is and it doesn't detract from or add to it. It's certainly not the same as other recent blockbusters have been.

It's actually where they have been pushing the debate during the press coverage / marketing & promotion tour etc

Wouldn't suprise me if the marketing team generated all the backlash (Inc resurfacing of BL's comments and over emphasizing her persona) in a fake news effort to at least stimulate something on the film including making people think it's full of sjw / feminist agendas etc which it isn't.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not about putting the agenda in the film. It's no more than Wonder Woman was. That's irrelevant to how bland it is and it doesn't detract from or add to it. It's certainly not the same as other recent blockbusters have been.

It's actually where they have been pushing the debate during the press coverage / marketing & promotion tour etc

Wouldn't suprise me if the marketing team generated all the backlash (Inc resurfacing of BL's comments and over emphasizing her persona) in a fake news effort to at least stimulate something on the film including making people think it's full of sjw / feminist agendas etc which it isn't.

Lol. Sounds like you are seeing what you want to see.

Soldato
Sadly it seems many people have already made their mind up and are looking for confirmation bias.

39 reviews and it's higher on metacritic than Ant Man, Iron Man 2 and 3, Thor, Thor: The Dark World and is currently the same score as Captain America: The First Avenger and Avengers: Age of Ultron and 1 behind Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2

What's sad vince is your apparent belief that reviewers objectively review politically charged films like this.

Black panther was a good but not great movie (rather average for the MCU) . The reviewers gave it almost universally very high praise beyond what the content of the film justified.

This latest outing looks to be a poor film (and a bad showing in the MCU lineup comparatively) but yet still gets the usual buff from the progressive media so gets some OK reviews.

None of the other films had strong progressive narratives requiring the media to up rate the movie to stay inline with the consensus.

And to be clear you also can't always trust the customer reviews for politically charged movies either because much the same as reviewers may overate a move sections of the public may undeate a movie based on perceived political issues.

Commissario
Just got back from it, and we thoroughly enjoyed it, it is also one of the only superhero origin films I've seen where the origin has not been as my brother put it "45 minutes of boring backstory before you get to the actual story".

There were bits that had large parts of the audience laughing, some fairly dark bit and a few surprises.

For a midnight showing the cinema seemed quite busy with what I could tell at least two screens in use, and the Imax screen better than half full.

Really Wolf? This doesn't strike me as a midnight showing at alllllllllllllll.

As I say there was an element of it being the only time all five of us could make it at the same time* , given that the working hours for the group range from 12 on/12 off (changing from day to night on a regular basis), early supermarket, late supermarket and normal office type hours.

*We've basically got a bit of a tradition to see the Marvel films as a group that started when my nephews were about 12 and 14 (a scarily long time ago now).

Soldato
I think anyone who's done even the slightest bit of looking in to the press around this movie knows this. I don't think it's sad that it's a misfire, placing a modern feminist agenda in to a well loved and successful franchise is a huge misstep. Financial failure is a win for the consumer as it's the only way the people at the top will ever learn that purple haired twitter screechers aren't their audience, 40 year old white dudes are.

I just want to take a moment ro thank you Zefan for your approch to modding this thread. Blu-ray.com have been acting like a bunch of fascists locking every thread and suspending people if you so much as mention why people don't like this movie.

Associate
I was going to post at 3am but the need to get some sleep got the better of me :D.

We enjoyed it and would appear the audience mood at the end was positive too. Like Werewolf said there was a mix of humour and darkness with the audience reacting as one to film.

The story itself stood up well and it was actually nice not knowing a lot about the plot for once. I managed to avoid anything other than the basic teaser trailer.

The main auditorium was mostly full in the main seating area, leaving just the level seats rows in front of the screen empty. I thought that was quite impressive for the time slot. When I first looked at booking on Wednesday they didn't list anything between that and 2pm today but added in hourly slots from 9 ish, so it must be selling well. I think some people went to the 3D screening but I don't think as many.

Also as a side note, why do some people stay for the first end of credit scene but leave before the second? You may as well sit there for a few more minutes :p.

Soldato
Looks like the general public are not happy. 81% for critics, 37% for public (60k reviews).

By comparison Black Panther which I personally thought was average at best got 97% critics, 79% public (85k reviews). Wonder Women got 93% critics, 88% public (125k reviews).

Caporegime
On Rotten Tomatoes?

Don't you find it strange that a movie like Black Panther which has been out over a year has 85,000 public reviews, yet Captain Marvel which won't have opened in the US really yet (what with them being 5-8 hours behind) already has 60,000 public reviews?

"Reviews" such as this which score it 0 stars.

½March 8, 2019
Politically fueled direction of the movie leaves me with no interest.

I donâ(TM)t want to pay to see someoneâ(TM)s political statements. Will definitely skip this one. Also sad that marvel chose an oppressed emotionless wooden log as a lead. Other cast seems good.

No one wats to see rude face Brie. I would go see Shazam and endgame

This will be the first marvel movie i skip. Looks bland and full of sjw nonsense

Another Mary Jane Disney Movie....

Im a white male so not suppose to comment on brie larsons movies

I'm a 41 year old white man... i would have watched this movie, but apparently I'm not welcome.

I did actually find one constructive review amongst the chaff:

3 stars

Preceding the release of the highly anticipated Avengers: Endgame, Captain Marvel, the twenty-first film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), hits cinemas this weekend.

Set in 1995, Captain Marvel follows Carol Danvers, a former U.S. Air Force fighter pilot and current member of Starforce, an elite Kree military team. In the film, she returns home with questions about her past and identity right as Earth is caught in the center of a galactic conflict between two alien worlds.

Directors Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck collaborated to construct, without a doubt, the most misguided Marvel origin films to date.

Despite a rough first half, full of poor world-building and expository dialogue, the film, thankfully, manages to find itself in the second half, when it turns into a fun space adventure. In an attempt to separate itself from the oversaturated market of superhero flicks, Captain Marvel has plenty of twists and turns to keep you entertained, and it strays away (just a tad) from the traditional superhero movie formula. My biggest complaint about the film is it lacks the much-needed emotion to engage you with the title character.

Academy Award-winner Brie Larson (Room) takes on the title heroine with the right amount of charm and determination. She is fearless, but never to the point of unrealism. Considering Carol Danvers has no recollection of her past, I wish the filmmakers took time to let the audience empathize with the character more. She never feels any sorrow when looking through photographs and documents of her forgotten past. As an audience member, we only get access to short bursts of life. When Danvers inevitability leaps into Avengers: Endgame this summer, they wonâ(TM)t have time for any further development, so they missed their only opportunity to do it now.

In a supporting role, Samuel L. Jackson plays an eyepatch-less Nick Fury. Per usual, Jacksonâ(TM)s natural charisma shines through. De-aging VFX are applied to Jackson to make the character appear about 24-years younger, and the results are absolutely astonishing. We do get to find out how Fury lost his eye towards the end, in one of the most pathetic ways possible; I really wish they would have left that a secret or shown it in a subsequent film.

When the two leading stars work together, their chemistry explodes onscreen. They work so naturally off of each other, and it never feels forced or like they are reading from a script. We get plenty of moments between Danvers and Fury, and I hope they build their relationship some more in a sequel.

Ben Mendelsohn (Ready Player One) portrays the shapeshifting leader of the Skrulls, referred to as Talos. As weâ(TM)ve seen from Mendelsohnâ(TM)s countless villainous roles in the past, heâ(TM)s extremely good at what he does. Though, in this film, he does something we havenâ(TM)t quite seen from him before, and I thought it was absolutely genius what they did with his character.

My favorite action sequence in the entire movie takes place towards the middle. I donâ(TM)t want to give away any specifics, but seeing Larson, Jackson, and Mendelsohn in combat together was super fun! Itâ(TM)s unfortunate this visceral excitement didnâ(TM)t translate over to the final act battle, which was poorly shot and inadequately edited; I really expect more from Marvel after last summerâ(TM)s Avengers: Infinity War.

Marvel Studiosâ(TM) producer, Kevin Feige, finally decided to put one of their female superheroes in her own film, on the big screen. Larson absolutely kills it in the perfectly-cast role, and sheâ(TM)s more than capable of delivering a solid performance; itâ(TM)s just a damn shame they never gave us a chance to connect with her character, and thatâ(TM)s what really matters.

For all of its shortcomings, the film is very charming at times. Technically speaking, this is my least favorite Marvel origin film, but to be fair, thatâ(TM)s a pretty high standard. Regardless of my criticisms, I didnâ(TM)t hate Captain Marvel; I just wanted it to be better, and thereâ(TM)s still fun to be had.

I'm going to see it after work today, with the wife.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Pretty obvious user reviews are going to be useless on this one. Glad to see a few on here have enjoyed it though. Can't see it this weekend but hopefully be able to see it next week.

Permabanned
Here a lot of man baby's harping on about some 'feminist agenda' within the film, but is it ACTUALLY present or is it just because there's a leading lady?

Soldato
Here a lot of man baby's harping on about some 'feminist agenda' within the film, but is it ACTUALLY present or is it just because there's a leading lady?
Generally it’s because they dislike the leading actor and the comments she has made and that it’s a meh movie with a poor performance from said leading actress.

I have no issues with either genda being lead (I liked Wonder Woman) I just hate it when films get political be it the films content or what is said by the actors/directors.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom