Car thieves

Soldato
People commenting that the police don't do anything.....or don't care.... I wish you could come and spend a day or night doing the job and see the scale of what is going on, versus the number of officers on the ground. Might be an eye opener.

Go and do some reading on cases where the police have prosecuted people defending/protecting their property as well, prosecutions are only brought about when the use of force is clearly grossly disproportionate or excessive. There's enough genuine bad guys out there to be nicked without cops looking to nail people for defending what's rightfully theirs. Tabloid hysteria helps nobody here.

Soldato
Meanwhile in most US states you could sit there and wait, then blow them away with an AR15 :D

Even if you did capture them the police wouldn't give a damn, it would most probably be you that gets into trouble for kidnapping.
We've been having a lot of trouble with gangs coming to neighbourhoods around us and looking for unlocked cars with guns and/or cash in (yes, people leave guns in unlocked cars on their drive :| ) as part of their initiation. So much so we had a meeting with the local police chief and he said that if we felt threatened we could shoot them and they'd "clean everything up afterwards". He just recommended that we call the police first so they can be on their way.

Completely different mentality over here.

Soldato
Feel awful for your neighbour but they don't sound very determined to get the car if they run off after being disturbed.

Sounds like an alarm and some good locks may help here. If you feel guilty maybe offer something towards the cost.

I haz 4090!
Don
OP
It’s a rented house so luckily she isn’t having to pay for anything herself. I’ve offered to pay the difference between standard euro cylinder locks, and some anti snap locks as that’s how they’ve been getting in.

Soldato
Hopefully that will help, if they're not (so far) willing to confront her then they sound like a bunch of kids hoping for an easy catch.

Not a nice situation to be in though, hope she's not too shaken up.

Soldato
Why are the thieves breaking into the house for the keys? Dont they do the obd scam thingy that happens on focus st's?
Guessing hotwiring was a thing of the past with mk2 gti's and xr3i's?

Soldato
Lie in wait for them with a few friends.

This lol. They won't try again after that. Police won't do FA about car thieves so you gotta deal with it your own way :p

Or pull fuses from the car so it won't start and leave keys with her somewhere obvious. They will get they keys but can't take it anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am sure I saw something the other day about top ten stolen cars in the uk and the majority were stupid suv's range rovers and x5's etc

golf R wasnt in top ten

edit..here it is

https://www.whatcar.com/news/the-most-stolen-cars-in-the-uk/

they usually nick them to sell the parts to stick on non R/gti/performance cars.. like fiesta STs etc..

Rs, s3,rs3 etc all known to be very liked by thieves.

it depends whats on order I guess but the thieves in the OP sound a bit amateur in a sense that they run away, the stories I've read/heard is more along the lines of here's a hammer, here's your face.. where are the keys :)

Soldato
they usually nick them to sell the parts to stick on non R/gti/performance cars.. like fiesta STs etc..

Rs, s3,rs3 etc all known to be very liked by thieves.

it depends whats on order I guess but the thieves in the OP sound a bit amateur in a sense that they run away, the stories I've read/heard is more along the lines of here's a hammer, here's your face.. where are the keys :)

Yea for a lot of hot hatches that seems to be the case as most of the parts are inter-changable.

You could always buy a car that has a bespoke classis then it won't get targeted in this way :D

I haz 4090!
Don
OP
The police have put my car on a watch list now. Not sure what good that'll do other than maybe a car on the estate for 5 minutes once a week.

I've put it in a secure lockup for six months whilst I sort out a house with a garage. The poor woman looked like she was going to cry with joy when I told her she wasn't going to have to worry about it anymore.

Back
Top Bottom