*** Car Wash / Valet / Detailing Thread ***

Perfect weather for a wash today. I cleaned the patio with the pressure washer a few days ago, first time and didn't realise how much mud would be thrown up, one side of the car was covered. Had to take it to the merc dealer for a service the next day and the wheel refurb place the day after like that :)

The diamond cut wheels looked this this after 3 years

Ob9qmkV.jpg

Clean car with power coated wheels. Autoglym polar blast + polar wash + SRP + EGP

AqmdHMq.jpg

Last edited:
Beware bird poo, act quickly now. Silly me, noticed a bird strike on my bonnet and waited two days thinking I would get onto it in the weekend. Saw it flaking and sticking up today and thought I'd blast it at the supermarket jet wash.

Just trying to work out how to post a photo on here but It's burnt through and torn the PPF on the bonnet!

Last edited:
Just starting to get mine reasonably clean, I missed doing a post winter complete once over, but as it's been waxed within an inch of it's life over the years, what I thought was grotty all came off fairly easily!
- Quick jet wash on the roof, then quick wash using snow foam, Bilt Hamber auto wash, etc..
- Autoglym fabric roof cleaner - Had to do this twice, the roof was 90% clean, but when wet any minor areas are invisible until dried, so had to do two rounds!
- Demon wheel alloy wheel cleaner (all I had to hand, burned the end of my finger, so defintely would not want to leave on for too long)
- Quick Clay using a clay mitt / G3 detailer
- Quick DA over some scratches that have appeared in what is the softest lacquer in the world (previous two owners had some paint done which is not to my quality), got those nearly acceptable, but don't want to go through the lacquer
- Quick coat of Armor All shield (found 2 new bottles and just love how this goes on, trim/glass etc not a problem) was going to use something more modern and wax , but that's for another day..
- Autoglym Fabric Roof protector
- Armor All the alloys for some protection.
- Autoglym Metal Polish + pan scourer for the worst of it on the stainless exhaust tips
- Autoglym Glass cleaner for the fabric roof protector overspray

QL0NEkl.jpg

Took me the whole day on and off, nice weather for it and the ultimate compliment, some of the neighbours inlaws were visiting and they came over to talk about the car and how nice it looks.. My Mrs just laughs and says "it's a bloke thing isn't it"

Last edited:
How would I go about knowing what this is and then making it better? Happy to get sanding if i have to but want to understand what this is first.
peeling lacquer - plastics just more susceptible to it .
wonder if re-painting it black satin would be easier than the more demanding prep/painting to restore it to original gloss state, or, a wrap of some kind.
eg https://youtu.be/dv0zIZiGCkA?t=128

just a thumbs up here for a company called "Carbon Collective"

My battery sprayer wasn't working properly (air leak i think) only used it a couple of times

I contacted In 2 Detailing where i purchased it from, no reply

i then found the receipt , so i contacted Carbon Collective directly and they said they would repair or replace and asked me to send them a copy of the invoice, which i took a photo of and emailed it to them.

They replied saying they would replace it

so i now have a brand new sprayer coming today free of charge :)

Last edited:
Ah ok. Do you have any recommendations?
I've used Meguiar's M83 Mirror Glaze Dual Action Cleaner, but, my take is, as soon as you use something that cuts more than SRP need to use a machine/PorterCable
Time investment goes up massively too (masking, clean up, weather stability required ...)
I predominately use SRP though as paintwork doesn't have too many swirls/imperfections.

Ah ok. Do you have any recommendations?

If you don't have a DA/rotary polisher, Menzerna Super Finish 3500 or Final Finish 3800 on a foam applicator pad.

Quite a nice polish to work by hand and doesn't go dusty.

I like Poorboys Blackhole too, it's like SRP for darker coloured cars but isn't as dusty and doesn't seem to stain plastic/rubbers.

If
I like Poorboys Blackhole too, it's like SRP for darker coloured cars but isn't as dusty and doesn't seem to stain plastic/rubbers.

Good shout on the poor boys black hole. That sounds right up my street and the reviews seems great. And lack of powder residue and ease of buffing seem excellent.

Back
Top Bottom