*** Car Wash / Valet / Detailing Thread ***

Meguiar's ultimate compound will sort the paint. The plastic trim will just want replacing, there's not much you can do to that.

SRP has little cut and will mostly fill the scratch so it'll reappear after a while.

Last edited:
I’ll let someone else do 11 minutes of waffling about the touchy subject :D

Great video, I have used the two bucket method a handful of times just seems an unnecessary step. I remember watching that video when I first got back into washing / detailing our cars. I now tend use one bucket with grit guard at the bottom, with a couple of different mitts and haven’t had any issues.

When I have done family and friends cars I pull out the 2nd bucket. Belts and braces approach that’s it really.

Oh of coarse a complete separate bucket, what is just a cheap B & Q one for the wheels.

Last edited:
Great video, I have used the two bucket method a handful of times just seems an unnecessary step. I remember watching that video when I first got back into washing / detailing our cars. I now tend use one bucket with grit guard at the bottom and haven’t had any issues.

When I have done family and friends cars I pull out the 2nd bucket. Belts and braces approach that’s it really.

Oh of coarse a complete separate bucket, what is just a cheap B & Q one for the wheels.
I'm guessing you have a hose for rinsing? I thought 2 bucket method was largely for when you only really have buckets.

Found some time today to get the windscreen machine polished with ceriglass, and later coated with Gtechniq G1.

I’ve tried different variations of doing the glass on my car, and the best time/performance method I’ve found is:

Ceriglass + G1 on windscreen
Glaco polish + coating on other windows.

Also bought a new pressure washer - Karcher K5 Universal. It’s basically a normal K5 without bells and whistles, but still metal pump. Decent spec and £195 which is a lot cheaper than the Ava/Nilfisk equivalent, and I can use my existing attachments/hose.

@MrRockliffe

My brother has recently bought a new car which is generally in great condition except from the rear window, it has considerable swirling with a couple of deeper scratches.

I have a DA and would like to attempt to improve the finish for him.

Would Ceriglass have enough cutting power to improve the finish or are fairly deep scratches on a rear tinted window a lost cause?

———————————

I nipped to Halfords early this morning to originally pick up a bottle of Autobrite - Project 64

I have become a fan of a good Spray Wax to finish off the detail especially this time of year where durability isn’t particularly a concern. They are just so easy to apply and aren’t fussy like some sealants which can leave streaky finishes when working in the not so ideal warm weather.

It was out of stock so picked up Auto Finesse - Original Kit for £18

500Ml of Lather (Shampoo)
500ML of (Spray Wax)
500ML of Tripple (AIO Polish/Glaze)
2 Microfibres
Microfibre Applicator Pad

I really like Tripple, similar to SRP it contains lots of fillers and is really easy to work with, mainly buffs off much better than SRP IMO.

The ride height from Factory does bug me, have considered lowering springs as a nice fitment would really transform the look IMO.

Last edited:
I didn’t go much on Auto finesse lather, nothing wrong per se, cleans well although it’s a low foam from memory. I just prefer Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss for the summer and something generic like Autoglym shampoo and conditioner for the winter as it was cheap.

I didn’t go much on Auto finesse lather, nothing wrong per se, cleans well although it’s a low foam from memory. I just prefer Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss for the summer and something generic like Autoglym shampoo and conditioner for the winter as it was cheap.

I didn’t use it during the wash today, I’ll give it a go next week.

I used it a couple of years ago and had no complaints although I tend to use more than the suggested amount usually.

I didn’t use it during the wash today, I’ll give it a go next week.

I used it a couple of years ago and had no complaints although I tend to use more than the suggested amount usually.
Yeah I bought a bottle a few year back during a sale and just didn’t rate it. Perhaps I wasn’t putting enough in.

Yeah I bought a bottle a few year back during a sale and just didn’t rate it. Perhaps I wasn’t putting enough in.

Perhaps, I’ll update next week!

Never had anything Chemical Guy’s - Seems expensive unless bought in bulk.

The above kit as it’s on offer costs only a couple of pounds more than 473ML of Chemical Guys Shampoo :D

Usually I’m not fussy with car shampoo, if it’s rubbish then it was probably cheap and I just use more to produce the slickness and suds.

Last edited:
Perhaps, I’ll update next week!

Never had anything Chemical Guy’s - Seems expensive unless bought in bulk.

The above kit as it’s on offer costs only a couple of pounds more than 473ML of Chemical Guys Shampoo :D

Usually I’m not fussy with car shampoo, if it’s rubbish then it was probably cheap and I just use more to produce the slickness and suds.
You should give it a go. Shampoo is the one product that is used frequently, I’ve tried many different brand over years but wash & gloss stood out to me.

Detailing product are extremely subjective though so ultimately we buy what we prefer.

just cleaned my steering wheel it was very dirty but now has a fairly rough and dry feel anyone recommend a good leather conditioner for steering wheels at all.

Is it actually leather or leather imitation?

Yeah its leather. probably going to get it redone soon as some stitiching has failed at the top half of the wheel but the wheel doesnt feel nice to use in its current state

Last edited:
@MrRockliffe

My brother has recently bought a new car which is generally in great condition except from the rear window, it has considerable swirling with a couple of deeper scratches.

I have a DA and would like to attempt to improve the finish for him.

Would Ceriglass have enough cutting power to improve the finish or are fairly deep scratches on a rear tinted window a lost cause?

Is it factory tinted?

Ceriglass probably doesn’t have a high enough concentration of cerium oxide for it to correct deeper scratches. You could make your own paste though with some distilled water.

Yeah its leather. probably going to get it redone soon as some stitiching has failed at the top half of the wheel but the wheel doesnt feel nice to use in its current state
I’ve never had proper leather only imitation but this stuff is well reviewed.

currently 40 % off

also use code "HYBRID20" to get another 20% off

Yeah its leather. probably going to get it redone soon as some stitiching
I used this/left

52953741939_fa168c4d7c_o_d.jpg

You’re thinking of the cream, not the cleaner. Creams and conditioners are little use on modern leathers as they are all ‘clear coated’, they just need cleaning. Any conditioner will just sit on top and cause the greasiness.

now tried some of the above right
on BMW PU/plastic 'leather' seats seems to work fine to recondition and add suppleness after cleaning, without residue.
Unlike hot weather being useless for bodywork valetting, cleaning the interior in the weekend heat is great, for working in, product.

I’ll let someone else do 11 minutes of waffling about the touchy subject :D

load of BS he's doing two buckets wrong - you don't do it if the car is completely caked in mud, you work downwards from the roof/bonnet for the pre-wash to avoid contamination and ensure dirt runs off.
, even using a wash mitt ? if you use a microfibre which you can fully immerse in bucket and agitate, allowing any bits to fall to bottom of bucket that reduces risk of contamination.

Back
Top Bottom