Carbide Air 540 Build

Well the PC has been running fine for a few weeks now and I got a bit greedy and got my third 7970 Lightning, I'm awaiting my new PSU before I fit it which should be delivered today so when that comes I will upload some more pics.

Sorry for the pictures that have disappeared, Photobucket sucks.

Sorry guys, didn't realise there were new posts. Spec is:

• 2 x MSI HD 7970 Lightning BOOSTED Edition
  • Intel Core i7-4770K 3.50GHz
  • H100i CPU Cooler
  • Gigabyte Z87X-OC Intel Z87 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard
  • Samsung 250GB SSD 840 SATA 6Gb/s Basic
  • Seasonic X-Series 750w '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply
  • Corsair Carbide 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case
  • TeamGroup Vulcan ORANGE 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-19200C10 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit
  • Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache
  • 5x Alpenföhn 120mm Wing Boost Plus PWM Fan - Orange
  • 1x Alpenföhn 140mm Wing Boost Plus PWM Fan - Orange
  • NZXT Hue

Regards the Haswell, I haven't much to compare it too, my last CPU's were a 920 and an 8120.

Ether, I fitted the fan wire, was better to consolidate the wires. The PC is done now, I put these two in the 540 build pics:

Now I just wait until I've moved house and can have my 3rd 120hz monitor :)

Any chance you could list your Temps please.

I'm thinking of doing pretty much the same build.

Specs would be

i7 4770k
z87 Sabertooth
H100i
Corsair 540

but what are the temps like? I heard the haswell run pretty hot.
correct if i'm wrong.

thanks

Hi, I'm on my hols at the moment but will get the temps on my return next week. Haswell temps were fine, it was the gpu's that were an issue but that's what happens when you stick three in! Back to two now anyway.

I struggled to get a stable 4.5ghz out of the 4770, I think I got a bad chip, even when I had it at over 4ghz the temps were good.

Sir, your H100i backplate is the wrong way around.

The indents you have on the right should be facing the screws on the top, gives a better fit and possibly better temps.

If you care :P

ethermaster also sold me on this setup, only difference being I'm waiting on my 280x toxic's to build. I was going to make a build log but being so similar this seems pretty pointless so if you have any tips for the build that would be great.

I'm unsure how to go with fans now as I want dust resistance, hows yours holding up?

I also bought the c11 ram, is this going to cause problems?

Sir, your H100i backplate is the wrong way around.

The indents you have on the right should be facing the screws on the top, gives a better fit and possibly better temps.

If you care :P

Hmm, what do you mean? I did ask in another thread why people either located their fans on top of the rad or the bottom. Mine are obviously on the bottom of the rad, I was thinking of moving them to the top for cooling purposes. Is that what you mean?

ethermaster also sold me on this setup, only difference being I'm waiting on my 280x toxic's to build. I was going to make a build log but being so similar this seems pretty pointless so if you have any tips for the build that would be great.

I'm unsure how to go with fans now as I want dust resistance, hows yours holding up?

I also bought the c11 ram, is this going to cause problems?

To be honest this case was so easy to build with that I can't think of anything to warn you about in advance! It's an easy build and this is coming from someone who is a bit of a noob!

nice, i must say I love this case and haven't been as excited about one since the silverstone fortress.

If you look at the back of your mobo the h100i backplate is rotated 90*, you can see a cutout section on the right which should be at the top. Thats what he's referring to, in regard to fans they should push air over the rad according to corsair for best temps.

Hows the dust situation? can you slow the rear 140 fan to maintain positive pressure in the case or do the 2x 120 fans on the h100i not screw up positive pressure?

also what was it that went wrong? faulty part, incorrect setting or other?

Last edited:
great build, one question though as you have had it completed for a bit now.

Do you find it sucks in a lot of dust or are the filters/mesh that comes supplied doing a reasonable job?

I'm not finding hardly any dust tbh. Which is strange, my old bitfenix we covered. I have moved house so maybe that's why? An older house mind..

The issue, well there wasn't one, I thought it was the ram but that's fine now. It was all a bit weird, certainly nothing hardware relayed thankfully.

Back
Top Bottom