1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cat C Bike

Discussion in 'Biker's Cafe' started by wazza300, Aug 2, 2015.

1. wazza300

Caporegime

Anyone bought a cat c bike damage/repairable?

there's a few atm ive got my eye on and im tempted tbh,mosst seem just cosmetic

2. ^JP^

Mobster

I always wanted to buy one to strip down and rebuild as a track bike. So interested to see what people say and if you buy one :)

3. TripleT

Sgarrista

If the repair was documented I'd have no problem.

A small slide down the road can write off a cheaper faired bike which in reality is nothing.

4. wazza300

Caporegime

Are they more to insure? Only thing I'm worried about is if the frame is bent,forks fairings ect I can replace

5. helpimcrap

Capodecina

I bought one. It was re-sprayed rubbish etc. I polished the wheels and re-sprayed it. When I wrote it off 6 months later I got market value for it which was a lot higher than I paid for it.

You have to know what you are looking so be careful. Check the frame over carefully and why it is a cat c. Can be because the frames scratched so new frame needed for insurance etc and not an issue.

6. wazza300

Caporegime

The one I'm interested in seems like a front end crash,mostly fairing/headlight smashed,the rest looks straight

7. helpimcrap

Capodecina

Take measure and straight edge. Measure wheel base etc and check forks over carefully lock to lock etc.

I'm looking at cat C's too. Can be a minefield though. ALWAYS get a HPI check as bikes are so easy to nick and strip.

8. wazza300

Caporegime

Its at a salvage firm but trouble is I can't get to it to visually inspect it,only from pics

9. helpimcrap

Capodecina

Get it on a centrestand, get someone to hold back down so front wheel is in air, spin wheel and hold screwdriver against fork and wheel rim edge to check for straightness etc. Loads of little tricks. I used to race and so every time I crashed I had to strip and check everything to rebuild it. Never bent a frame but bent forks/yokes/wheels nearly every time.

10. wazza300

Caporegime

Yh I can get the wheels straightened,far as I can tell its front top fairing,left/right mid fairing,right bottom bellypan,headlight,lever,bar end,exhaust can,and maybe front leaking fork

11. helpimcrap

Capodecina

My main concern would be why is the fork leaking? Is it because the fork is slightly bent so not sealing right?

Fairing is easy as it's just a repair kit form Halfords.

12. wazza300

Caporegime

Could have popped it from impact? Idk mine leaked like that when I hit a kerb,can get it straightened if its bent it all depends how cheap I can get the bike for

Would you buy one without looking over it? Just from pictures

13. helpimcrap

Capodecina

Without looking? Nope. Might if it has an MOT but would HPI check it on pick up before I handed money over.

14. wazza300

Caporegime

It looks alright to me,salvage firm its on,I'll post some pics up when its near the end of auction,I'll ask em if its hpi clear

15. ^JP^

Mobster

Can always take it to a place that does frame straightening, my dealership does it and to be honest it is one of the first things I would get done if I was starting with a salvaged bike.
    http://www.seastarsuperbikes.co.uk/frame_straightening.html

I guess it depends how much you want to strip it down but better to start right than have issues later?

16. IC3

Sgarrista

17. wazza300

Caporegime

Oo I'd forgot about that

18. wazza300

Caporegime

:eek:

just bought it :eek:

watch this space

19. BigRazer93

Mobster

what you got?

20. wazza300

Caporegime

I don't wanna jinx it yet,ill update when I get it checked out/pay for it and delivered