Cat/pet insurance

Soldato
Bought By Many for our dog. He’s been having on going hydrotherapy and pain killers for a couple of years. Pay out in days, very easy to claim on the website and premium went up £40 last year after over £1000 of claims.

Soldato
They do 3 levels of insurance, top tier is too much.

The other two basically boils down to either £4000 or £7000 treatment (a year).

I 100% appreciate there are so many variables and it comes down to risk, but I have no idea what a vet bill would be say if it got run over but survived with treatment??????

I would have thought £4k would be enough??????

I don't know about cats, but if a dog needed a major operation then it would chew (no pun intended) through 4k of cover.

Our dog was poorly earlier in the year (was quite possibly just worms in the end) and our bill was £1500 for a couple of scans and a few overnight stays in hospital with some drugs.

Is that 4K for one condition? Or split across multiple?

We’re with Everypaw and have a £4k limit per year which resets annually but it’s a max of £1k for each condition.

Our cat is 11 and we’ve claimed a lot for eye problems. Which in the end, resulted in enucleation. The final weeks worth of bills came to £1500.

About to start paying £22.50 a month. Taking insurance is a no brainier IMO.

It's the same as them all, limit per year. Although some might have clauses to limit the amount per certain treatments etc - as always need to check the policy.

I'd say another +1 for pet plan, they were no hassle at all when it came to claiming.

Soldato
We're with Tesco for ours, we pay ~£40/month for £4k/condition, which is quite a bit lower than any others, and also they don't have a co-payment for older cats (our oldest is ~12 now, and most providers want an extra 20% of any treatment cost on top of your excess!)

We've never claimed however, so while the price is good, I obviously can't say how they are with claims

Soldato
We've never claimed however, so while the price is good, I obviously can't say how they are with claims

We’re with Tesco too and have claimed at least three times (our cat gets into fights with the cat next door). They’ve been absolutely great every time. Quick payouts and very pleasant to deal with. I’d highly recommend them.

Soldato
Who are best at covering multiple pets?

Petplan give a discount and further discount for each further pet.

I think we pay something like £12 a month for two 4 year old cats. We're a bit over insured too as we pay about £10 a month to our vets for 2 6 monthly checkups and worming/flea treatment (which we mostly don't use) that includes 25% or something off vets bills. We've got a great vets though. It's a non-profit.

Soldato
Petplan over in the USA got pretty bad compared to a few years ago. When it was good they paid out for a 4000 bill for blood transfusions. (I didn't even know that was a thing with dogs until that point).

Now, they are extremely expensive with significantly less coverage compared to other companies, and thats for everyone, not just me.

Just make sure you compare plans. The main reason is an emergency, which can be expensive. I know in the UK pets aren't treated like a luxury item so it may be a little different still.

Soldato
Petplan give a discount and further discount for each further pet.

I think we pay something like £12 a month for two 4 year old cats. We're a bit over insured too as we pay about £10 a month to our vets for 2 6 monthly checkups and worming/flea treatment (which we mostly don't use) that includes 25% or something off vets bills. We've got a great vets though. It's a non-profit.
we were with them but every year they increase premiums for no real reason

Soldato
Used to be petplan but changed to Tesco as it was half the price for similar cover.

Same here. We were with Petplan, but the costs went up massively each year and with two cats, 8 and 9 and a 6 year old Collie it was getting ridiculous. I switched to Tesco and it was over half the price.

Back
Top Bottom