Caterham v Westfield

Just got my Westfield brochure through the post and the Meccano Kit complete with engine, gearbox etc.. basically everything bar the fuel and water is £15k. Bit much i think. Do MNR do a similar deal?

tonyyeb said:
Just got my Westfield brochure through the post and the Meccano Kit complete with engine, gearbox etc.. basically everything bar the fuel and water is £15k. Bit much i think. Do MNR do a similar deal?
You had a look at the MX5 SDV (single donor vehicle) ? or just a normal seiw and source you're own engine & box.

Last edited:
It all seems very expensive to be honest. Looks like i would have to save quite a bit. A nice chap at MNR (Chris - Marks dad) was going through it with me. £10k would be a cheap budget he said with the possibility of getting it in 5 parts. But even over a year thats £2000 every 10 weeks.

tonyyeb said:
It all seems very expensive to be honest. Looks like i would have to save quite a bit. A nice chap at MNR (Chris - Marks dad) was going through it with me. £10k would be a cheap budget he said with the possibility of getting it in 5 parts. But even over a year thats £2000 every 10 weeks.
if you're on a budget and are looking for best bang/buck then you're wasting your time even considering building a kit yourself.
buy one that's been built by someone else.
quicker+cheaper.

The_Dark_Side said:
if you're on a budget and are looking for best bang/buck then you're wasting your time even considering building a kit yourself.
buy one that's been built by someone else.
quicker+cheaper.

But i like the idea of building it - that seems like half the fun.

The_Dark_Side said:
fun is expensive.
building then running it is a fantastic experience, it's also more expensive than just buying a westy for example.
if you have an unlimited budget you can indulge yourself totally, if you DO have one you need to make compromises.

Hmm i fear you are right. It looks like if i want it this year ill have to settle for 2nd hand. If i can wait a couple of years (more like 4) and save up then maybe i can look at the kit. I just want to get my hands dirty!

tonyyeb said:
Hmm i fear you are right. It looks like if i want it this year ill have to settle for 2nd hand. If i can wait a couple of years (more like 4) and save up then maybe i can look at the kit. I just want to get my hands dirty!
i understand totally.
i could never get my head around the fact that building the kit yourself is more expensive than buying one pre-built.
how much do you want to spend by the way?

You can build a locost kit car well under 10k, source your own sierra donor parts, engine etc, and easily do it..

MK Indy for £2625 inc vat for the deluxe kit, say £200 for donor sierra, £200 for loom, £250 for lights, £250 for clocks, £200 for a propshaft, then your choice of engine and box, say carbed R1, £1500, wheels and tyres, 13 inch with tyres, £500...

Jobs a goodun at under £6k, many have achieved this level of pricing

;)

The_Dark_Side said:
it's hardly an opinion, more like a matter of fact.
c'mon, who could look at the thing and fault-find?

Me, the brake master cylinders have been replaced, new 4 core race rad, new high flow water pump and the dry sump fittings are leaking oil..

Nothing that I cant fix tho

;)

Dr Who said:
Me, the brake master cylinders have been replaced, new 4 core race rad, new high flow water pump and the dry sump fittings are leaking oil..

Nothing that I cant fix tho

;)
i need to know more about bike engined kits.
in the mk vids you posted what's the gearchange arrangement?
electronic push button F1 style? some form of linkage?

AND how necessary is it to go dry sump?
as the engine is somewhere it was never designed to be and will move in a totaly different way than if it was in a bike frame, is a dry sump a luxury or a virtual requirement?

Back
Top Bottom