Ceramic Coating - fiction or fact?

Man of Honour
envy_siramik_1.gif

envy_siramik_2.gif

envy_siramik_3.gif

It's nice, but I probably wouldn't pay £500 or more for it again. I feel my dab hand can do an equally good job but Collinite lasts a full year as opposed to 3yrs claimed by ceramic coatings.

I'd rather spend the money on nice smelling and long lasting cleaning products that I can enjoy using, and pocket a saving at the same time.

3 days to ceramic coat a car? Yeah and pigs fly.

That is how long it takes to be done properly. Gotta be left overnight to cure fully before the 2nd and 3rd parts are applied. What is so unbelievable about that?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
thinking of going for Gtechniq crystal serum after seeing on a car the detailer was working on when I popped in

That's what I've got on my car, been two weeks now and it's fantastic in this weather. Weekend I just snow foam it with Gyeon Foam and 90% of all the dirt has come off with a rinse. Only dirt that sticks on is around the skirts where it's really thick.

The hydrophobic quality of it is brilliant. The coolest thing is, rinse with a gentle flow hose and you actually end up drying the car for the most part because the water run off is so good :p

Soldato
3 days to ceramic coat a car? Yeah and pigs fly.

2 days for mine, full decontamination, machine polish, ceramic coat then cure time. If you're going for more extensive prep work then I can fully understand 3 days.

You can't just wash your car then whack a ceramic coating on it if you want it to last more than a few weeks.

Associate
I don't think they are worth the money at all as a standalone item.
Read the small print - you're supposed to use normal coatings on top of fairly regularly to 'maintain' them. It's not some special ultra hard anti swirl coating that remains hydroscopic for 3+ years with normal irregular washing...

I use this stuff every 4 months or so:

http://www.jayswax.co.uk/product/wowos-crystal-sealant/

Costs £16 for a bottle that will last years. Takes 30 minutes to apply after a basic wash; spray with one hand & immediately buff with the other. Keeps dat beading all that time. Makes the surface feel ultra smooth, & even works on the windscreen so no wipers needed on the motorway.

Soldato
Beauty is in the eye and all that. I had Clark (previously Polished Bliss) coat my ISF with the Gyeon coating. Taking 3+ days with the stage 1+ paint enhancement, coating and everything else he does it comes in a well over a grand. But the finished result is like a new car inside and out, actually better as he removes all the paint imperfections that even new cars have. Very happy with it and should last up to 5 years supposedly. My car isn't really a daily so it may last at least 3 years.

He did my new S3 before and it was like new when I traded it in after 2 years. Next to no scratches or chips in 10k miles. I was impressed. Clark also takes the wheels off and coats them, meaning they are super easy to wash and brake dust doesn't get etched into the lacquer.

You pays your money...

The only way to get better paint protection is to go with film, over every panel. I think I was looking at £3k+ for that. I've seen it first hand and the protection it offers is incredible, but not sure it's value for money on anything less than a classic or supercar.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Beauty is in the eye and all that. I had Clark (previously Polished Bliss) coat my ISF with the Gyeon coating. Taking 3+ days with the stage 1+ paint enhancement, coating and everything else he does it comes in a well over a grand. But the finished result is like a new car inside and out, actually better as he removes all the paint imperfections that even new cars have. Very happy with it and should last up to 5 years supposedly. My car isn't really a daily so it may last at least 3 years.

He did my new S3 before and it was like new when I traded it in after 2 years. Next to no scratches or chips in 10k miles. I was impressed. Clark also takes the wheels off and coats them, meaning they are super easy to wash and brake dust doesn't get etched into the lacquer.

You pays your money...

The only way to get better paint protection is to go with film, over every panel. I think I was looking at £3k+ for that. I've seen it first hand and the protection it offers is incredible, but not sure it's value for money on anything less than a classic or supercar.

The 3M film is very expensive, but looks fantastic. Main issue is yellowing in the sun, and also ‘chips’ cause furrowing which looks horrible.

Sgarrista
Commissario
The 3M film is very expensive, but looks fantastic. Main issue is yellowing in the sun, and also ‘chips’ cause furrowing which looks horrible.

Ive yet to see a car where the film doesnt ruin the look of the paint.

Theyre better than they were, but still look hideous to my eye.

The best is the Ngenco product which comes down to the sprayers ability.

Soldato

Awesome.

Didn't know he'd moved away from PB. Had a good browse of his new FB and found what BMW Carbon Black can really look like! WOW!

Need to get my rotary and sort swirl city.

Soldato
Awesome.

Didn't know he'd moved away from PB. Had a good browse of his new FB and found what BMW Carbon Black can really look like! WOW!

Need to get my rotary and sort swirl city.

Indeed, he has setup on his own. Clark is probably the best in the country at what he does, but at this level of detail it's painstaking work and he appears to work all the hours.

I just use Meguiars spray wax monthly and it looks great and saves a fortune :p

It saves you money because you don't even begin to reach the same levels of correction, finish, lustre or protection. But hey, if you are happy with that, its all good ;)

Soldato
OP
My M140i Shadow is going in tomorrow (Monday). £850 for Monday - Friday including IGL Kenzo ceramic coating and full detail. Hoping to get rid of that 'interesting' orange peel effect.

Back
Top Bottom