Poll: Champions League Final - Barcelona vs Manchester United - 27th May 2009 *SPOILERS*

Who will you be supporting on Wednesday

• Barcelona

Votes: 87 36.4%
  • That other team

Votes: 152 63.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone heard the myth that Barcelona fans believe about Xavi? He's never been tackled when he's had the ball apparently. :confused: :o

I read that somewhere too

Sorry, I know it's meant to be funny, but if it's 0-0 why would Van Der Sar be up for a corner?

See above - but also there is some History related there , as Im sure although I cant remember the exact details that Peter Schmeichel scored a winning goal in a crucial match for Utd a number of years ago from a similar position

Last edited:
It's what a load of keepers do in the last minutes of a game if only one goal is needed to win a game. Cech did it against Barcelona only a few weeks ago. Most of the time it achieves nothing but it gives a slim advantage to the team having an extra man in the penalty area.

I think he meant why risk an open goal when you're not even losing :p

See above - but also there is some History related there , as Im sure although I cant remember the exact details that Peter Schmeichel scored a winning goal in a crucial match for Utd a number of years ago from a similar position

Big Pete scored against Rotor Volgorgrad(?) in the Uefa Cup, goal meant nothing though as we still went out on away goals iirc.

Big Pete scored against Rotor Volgorgrad(?) in the Uefa Cup, goal meant nothing though as we still went out on away goals iirc.

dammit - I really thought PS scored a winning goal somewhere in a similar situation

Ok well I am happy to admit my memory was never that good - and its getting worse hahaha

Fair point - although he had had a much better season at this point last year

Quite the opposite - I just couldnt be ***** to correct all the errors lol

For eg - Evra and Rooney stopped Messi last season - Evra might have had a dip in form around March, but has got a lot better recently. Its not just down to Evra either , Rooney will do a lot of tracking bakc and hassling Messi (or on the right if SAF throws a curve ball)

Same with OShea / Park

Im not saying Barca will definitely lose - or that either of those partnerships will definitely prevail over the other, its just nowhere near as cut and dried as you seem to suggest

you have a point but undoubted talent may prevail tonight and i think a full rampant messi will give the utd defense nightmares, u cant look past Eto,Henry,Messi,Xavi,Iniesta, they are better than utd in my opinion, its a hard thing to look at.

Rooney/Tevez/Berba/Ronaldo/Carrick/??? Vs Messi/Henry/Eto/Xavi/Iniesta,

IMO Barca wins. they have enough to see out manchester utd. the game will be a classic hopefully, i can't wait. roll on kick off.

Am I the only non Man Utd fan who thinks that they wildly over rate Anderson? He's good off the ball, fast, aggressive and willing to throw himself about, but on the ball he's very ordinary :/ Suppose it's no surprise that he's never scored to me.

Am I the only non Man Utd fan who thinks that they wildly over rate Anderson? He's good off the ball, fast, aggressive and willing to throw himself about, but on the ball he's very ordinary :/ Suppose it's no surprise that he's never scored to me.

Nope. A fair few people have mentioned it before, even a Manc iinm.

He's got potential but as yet he's shown very little to warrant some of the praise he gets from some people on here, not to mention the ~£18m transfer fee.

Anderson has played the best football when partnered alongside Carrick. This season due to injuries and the amount of games we've played, there has been no settled partnership. We've not seen the best of him, but he has a lot of potential. It's his workrate and ability to close down players and distribute the ball that makes him a good choice. Seeing him play week in and week out for the last 2 yrs it's obvious that he has a bright future ahead of him. Lack of composure in front of goal is his one downfall but that will hopefully come with time. He's Brazilian afterall. :p

Anderson has played the best football when partnered alongside Carrick. This season due to injuries and the amount of games we've played, there has been no settled partnership. We've not seen the best of him, but he has a lot of potential. It's his workrate and ability to close down players and distribute the ball that makes him a good choice. Seeing him play week in and week out for the last 2 yrs it's obvious that he has a bright future ahead of him. Lack of composure in front of goal is his one downfall but that will hopefully come with time. He's Brazilian afterall. :p

Undoubtedly he's perfectly suited for this game; his energy and workrate will be huge tonight. Not so sure about his distribution though; he showed he's more than capable when he played last season but this season his passing has been hit and miss to say the least. People were comparing him to Scholes last season, not seen so many comparrisons this season.

Nope. A fair few people have mentioned it before, even a Manc iinm.

He's got potential but as yet he's shown very little to warrant some of the praise he gets from some people on here, not to mention the ~£18m transfer fee.

Baz you are obsessed with transfer fees. It was actually closer to £14m. He's 21yrs old and shows a lot of promise and potential. That figure will be laughed at in 10yrs time depending on whether he achieves his potential.

edit: ^^^ I agree about his passing this year, I wouldn't single him out though as basically our whole squad has forgotten to pass at various stages of this season. :p

Can't believe I'm gonna say this but... COME ON MAN UTD! :o

Off out to watch it and half my mates support United so if they win it will be a better night out after! But I really want them to win personally too, I love England to dominate Europe and if Arsenal can't win it my second choice would be United.

Bets for tonight:

Rooney FGS @ 15/2
Man Utd 2-1 @ 10/1
O'Shea First Carded @ 12/1

Undoubtedly he's perfectly suited for this game; his energy and workrate will be huge tonight. Not so sure about his distribution though; he showed he's more than capable when he played last season but this season his passing has been hit and miss to say the least. People were comparing him to Scholes last season, not seen so many comparrisons this season.

Aye, I've seen many a horrible pass or first touch from him. To say he cost £18m is simply terrifying.

Baz you are obsessed with transfer fees. It was actually closer to £14m. He's 21yrs old and shows a lot of promise and potential. That figure will be laughed at in 10yrs time depending on whether he achieves his potential.

edit: ^^^ I agree about his passing this year, I wouldn't single him out though as basically our whole squad has forgotten to pass at various stages of this season. :p

IINM the fee you will pay is dependent on appearances, success etc also iirc, Nokkon mentioned it could be as high as £20m.

I agree that he's got potential (i said it in my last post) but when you spend that sort of money on a player surely you are buying more than potential? I honestly think he was better last season than he has been this season.

Baz my point is that a transfer fee should only be assessed after the player has finished playing for the club. He has just finished his second season disrupted by injuries and missing preseason with the team. This debate came up when Carrick was signed, nobody mentions it now as we've just won 3 Premier League titles in a row and are on the verge of back to back Champions League titles (should we win) which I'm sure has brought the club more than enough money to have covered his initial fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom