Poll: Champions League Final - Barcelona vs Manchester United - 27th May 2009 *SPOILERS*

Who will you be supporting on Wednesday

• Barcelona

Votes: 87 36.4%
  • That other team

Votes: 152 63.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
£5 united to win 3-0 = £145
£5 united to win 4-1 = £335
£6 United to win 3-1 =£126
£2 Rooney to score first = £16

£18 put down if one of my scorelines comes off I'm up :) Rooney to score first is just a bit of fun.

:)

Last edited:
Ok then. I didnt realise he was doubtfull.:o

Just listening to Talk Sport and some guy (no idea who) had heard rumours from the Barcelona camp that Guardiola didn't want to play both Henry and Iniesta as they'll not be at 100%. Could prove to be a big risk starting them both. Then again, the whole thing could be a lot of bluff and they'll both start.

Think Rooney needs to step up tonight. He's been our best player over the past couple of months and aside from a few decent moves he didn't have his best game in the final last year. If he turns it on he can win the game by himself.

He needs to be more selfish, no doubt he'll be on the left and will be giving support to Evra, he always does what's best for the team overall. Need his killer instinct to come out a little more. One advantage over last year is that we'll attack more, Chelsea have a better defensive game than Barcelona and knew how to play against us. It's funny how things can change so much within a year, last season when we played Barcelona they weren't conceding many and we were scoring for fun in all competitions. Irresistable force against the immovable object. Tables have turned this season.

Why? They have the best attack in the world and unless Man Utd do a Chelsea and completely sabotage the final, Barca should score

So if United don't concede a goal it will be seen as "sabotaging" the final? You need to open your eyes and realise what Chelsea did in the the Nou Camp was excellent. Football is about more than watching Arsenal pass it around and get nowhere.

Be interesting to see the bench tonight. Be interesting to see who gets the nod out of Neville/Brown. For me, the bench has to be:

PIG, Evans, Brown, Scholes, Nani, Tevez, Berbatov

Brown is simply better than Neville these days and even though he's hardly played I think he should get the nod.

Last edited:
£2.50 Rio first scorer, United winning 2-0 = £675
£2.00 Vidic first scorer, United winning 2-0 = £350
£1.50 Henry first scorer, Barca winning 2-1 = £90
£1.00 Iniesta first scorer, Barca winning 1-0 = £60
£1.00 Time of first goal 31-40mins = £6.50
£1.00 Draw at h/t with United going on to win = £5
£1.00 Puyol first booking = £12

:p

Coming from a Neutral this game is the game that i have been looking forward to for the past month. Its Barcelona Vs Manchester Utd. Its got the makings to be one of the greatest football matches of all time with the likes of Messi,Ronaldo,Henry,Rooney,Eto,Xavi,Inesta,Tevez,Berbatov ETC ETC included. I Fully expect this game to live up to its hype, barca are going to be going all out even with their frail defence i still think its strong enough to keep man utd at bay with patience and outwitting the opposition.

I think the keybattles are

Messi Vs Patrice Evra

This is gonna be one of the highly anticipated clashes of the night, i think Messi is going to roll this dude over left and right. If messi has his dancing boots on evra is in for a rough night. a key factor is his close control so expect plenty of Messi trying to dribble his way through the man utd defense as well as beating evra on the wings.

Henry Vs O'Shea

Clear winner is gonna be Henry here although o'shea might keep him at bay. Henry is world class, hes absolutely excellent, his age hasn't slowed him down a bit and he's a big a threat as messi,ronaldo,eto etc etc......i think o'shea will be in for a tough night with henry tryign to run down the wings and whip in some crosses or even attempting some of his own..

Rooney Vs The Defense

I don't think Rooney will be specifically targetting anybody tonight, his job is to pick the ball from deep and run at defenders, do the dirty work and get the ball moving. hes the engine, barca need to stop him. hes world class, he's the best striker in the world and arguably the best player in the world. I think he will have a go at all the defense tonight, especially puyol and caceras.

The Midfield Battle
Xavi/Intiesta Vs Carrick/????

Xavi And Iniesta IMO are the best midfield partnership int he world today, they know each other like the back of their own hands. Everything from their possesional play to their through balls and the link up play is world class, as usual i think Xavi will play the more disciplined role with Iniesta being given the liscene to roam. Expect plenty of trickery from these two.
However, it won't be easy as going up against Carrick/Anderson/Park/Whoever? im not sure but it is going to be tough, carrick is always getting stuck in can pass, shoot and do just about everything xavi/iniesta can do. Its going to be a spectactle in the midfield and a LONG night for all in Midfield.

Key Man: Ronaldo

I think tonight Ronaldo NEEDS to shine, being outdone by Messi last year has to hurt him and theirs always a who's better debate. I think tonight we will find out the answer to that queston (messi imo). IMO messi is the greatest player the world has ever seen, strictly my opinion but Ronaldo is not far behind, actually its debatable and its a hard debate and we WILL find out the answer tonight. Barca need to watch out for the dancing feet Of Ronaldo, his quick skills, crosses, audacious shots and pace. Ronaldo will be an instrumental figure as usual in manchester utds game tonight.

Defense

Vidic/Rio > Puyol/Caceras Of Course, however Rio has a question mark over his head and it is notable Rio compliments vidic. I think The overwhelming discussion of Barca's defense is questionable, sure its frail but i 100% think they have what it takes to close down man utd and keep them at bay. Puyol is a leader, caceras is up and coming but as good as if not better than evans and i don;t think any1 would complain if Evans was starting. The full back Sylvinho is old and experienced and can play a huge factor in tonights game but WHO IS PLAYING ON THE OTHER WING lol????

Conclusion

As a neutral i dont care who wins, i just want to see one of the greatest games of all time and i think thats a huge possibility. Theres a HUMONGOUS amount of talent on that pitch tonight but if i was to stick my neck out i think:

3-2 Barcelona.

And yes i do want barcelona to win because of their positive impact on football and their world class talent coupled with the fact messi is my favourite player in the world.

NabZ
A Villa Fan.

When did I say that? If they play like Chelsea did at Camp Nou then I will see it as ruining the final. Tbh, how often do we get to see the likes of Xavi, Ronaldo, Rooney, Iniesta and Messi all on the pitch at once, in such a huge occasion? The managers should just throw a certain amount of caution to the wind and give the spectators a good game. It'll be annoying if either team is overly defensive, especially when Man Utd know they can probably score any time vs that Barca defence.

EDIT - Also to be fair to Chelsea they had a 2 legged tie and they didn't want to be out of it after the first game, also they're not as skilled and quick as Barca. Man Utd have one game, they're fast and very skillful and more capable of scoring than Chelsea, it'd be such a shame to see them set up defensively. I don't think Ferguson will though, or at least I hope not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom