Change to MM access after 1st January 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
All this crying has cheered me up no end. If you’re not posting 15 comments over a 90 day period you’re not an active member of the forums. The MM is a ‘reward’ for active members. Simple really. It’s really not that hard to work out.
Victim mentality.

Soldato
This is mainly a computer enthusiast site. For the others you mentioned there are dedicated forums for them which your going to get better experience on.

I'm not entirely sure you will. Most forum members have like minded interests, so you're unlikely to be gaining anything in addition talking about home improvements or food as you would on other forums.

Man of Honour
There's a reason ocuk appears at the top of Google search results for really random topics. It's probably one of the few decently active forums left and covers such a wide range of topics that you can almost always find someone to discuss or answer any questions you have.

I'd say it's a relatively unique place in that regard.

Associate
As others have said, not sure what problem this is solving, but meh. I'll post when I have something to say and the time and energy (of which, I have less than I used to) to say it, as always.

I had 100% positive feedback on a half-dozen transactions or so on the MM before access was taken away, so a.) I'll not miss it that much and b.) again, as others have said, you've reduced the pool of reliable buyers and/or sellers on the MM.

Either that or more pointless posts to keep up people's post count, on the pretext of "contributing to the community" - which is a highly dubious metric to measure anything - somewhat akin to measuring a software developer's performance by counting lines of code written!

Your house, your rules, but can't help feeling this whole thing has stirred up some bad feeling for little to no benefit.

Soldato
Had absolutely zero issue on mm so seems more than fair.
Same here. Have used the MM for a while without any problems. Not much of an active poster, but happy to make more of an effort as per the new rules.

Far prefer trying to sell/buy things here than other places.

taB

taB

Associate
For over three months, this notice has been at the top of all the MM forums.

oXR3qwt.png

And there's a sticky post which has had around 400 replies.

It's all been explained in there.

I've never seen that notice. I'd put a "this is an outrage" gif here if I knew how to. Probably better post some more as heck knows how I've coped without the MM in my life to date.

Associate
Far prefer trying to sell/buy things here than other places.

For me, it'll probably mean more buying brand new stuff (maybe not from OcUK) and either giving away or junking old stuff.

As I alluded to earlier, I've reached the time of life where I have enough money to satisfy my modest needs, but not enough time and energy. People pay for convenience - here's a (possibly controversial) thought - how about a small charge to access the MM in lieu of post count requirements?!

If I lose MM access for not "contributing" enough, then so be it. It may well end up being OcUK's loss, just as much as mine.

taB

taB

Associate
For me, it'll probably mean more buying brand new stuff (maybe not from OcUK) and either giving away or junking old stuff.

As I alluded to earlier, I've reached the time of life where I have enough money to satisfy my modest needs, but not enough time and energy. People pay for convenience - here's a (possibly controversial) thought - how about a small charge to access the MM in lieu of post count requirements?!

If I lose MM access for not "contributing" enough, then so be it. It may well end up being OcUK's loss, just as much as mine.
Because a monetary fee wouldn't stop what people are worried about. Paying a fiver to scam a graphics card wouldn't phase that kind of person. See: paid twitter accounts.

Associate
Because a monetary fee wouldn't stop what people are worried about. Paying a fiver to scam a graphics card wouldn't phase that kind of person. See: paid twitter accounts.

Ah, but that is not OcUK's stance is it? At least, not that I've seen. The sole argument I've seen is that of "contribution".

• Haha
Reactions: taB
Soldato
As others have said, not sure what problem this is solving, but meh.
Reduced risk of old insecure accounts being hacked and used for scams. Actively used accounts are less likely to have old leaked passwords or no 2FA.

Reduced risk of old unvalued accounts being used to scam without being worried about losing the account. Actively used accounts are more likely to hold value for the user.

Reduced likelihood of users only hanging around to use the forums as a trading post (and possibly reselling stuff elsewhere after chipping a bargain here).

Community perk is reinforced as a perk for the currently active community, not the community from 2005 who only login for using the market since 2008.

Just a few things that have been mentioned.

Soldato
Your house, your rules, but can't help feeling this whole thing has stirred up some bad feeling for little to no benefit.

It's certainly stirred up the entitlement from some people, absolutely shocked at the bad attitude from some.

I would say the community will be a better place without them, but of course they were never really here in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom