Change to MM access after 1st January 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
You have been active. You've made posts in MM since that notice was posted.

Every single person who's been into MM has had that notice at the top of every page there since the 21st August.

We can see who's viewed threads, we're getting complaints in here by people who we can see have read that thread.

We deliberately gave over three months notice for this change. It's not our fault if people didn't even read the notice, or if they read it and ignored it.

Yes, I've been active, but are you forgetting the fact that this forum has had "Chances to the MM" stickies for about the last 5 years? There was one perpetually up there about changing post requirements for AGES. I'd just assumed it was the same one

You also seem to be suggesting that you can see I've read that thread... if you can see that, then you can also see that I hadn't read the thread until the 1st

Last edited:
Associate
Wondered how long it would be before someone played the "do you know how much I spend here" card.
Does that mean you are more entitled than me as I've only spent <£4k?
Are you deliberately misinterpreting that or what?

I'm clearly saying it to point out the longevity of my relationship with OCUK - the point was that I've made regular-but-occasional orders over a 10+ year period and been a forum member for a similar amount of time

It seems ridiculous to expect someone to be consistently active for a decade in order to be allowed to use the MM. I don't see anyone banning me from the OcUK store when I've not been active on the forum recently enough?

But regardless, the only point I was making is that the warnings could have been done better

Last edited:
Associate
To be fair, there was such ample warning that there was enough time for me to read it and completely forget about it until the 1st (my own fault).

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to engage somewhat with the community in order to retain access - a single post a week is not a huge amount to ask. People are acting like their accounts get permanently banned or something!

Soldato

I'm clearly saying it to point out the longevity of my relationship with OCUK - the point was that I've made regular-but-occasional orders over a 10+ year period and been a forum member for a similar amount of time

It seems ridiculous to expect someone to be consistently active for a decade in order to be allowed to use the MM. I don't see anyone banning me from the OcUK store when I've not been active on the forum recently enough?

But regardless, the only point I was making is that the warnings could have been done better
This thread is now the perfect example for https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/online-forum-people-and-their-peculiarities.18982380/

Don
I'm misrepresenting nothing. The amount you spend with OcUK has nothing to do with anything.
Telling me you spent £10k tells me nothing about your longevity - some people here spend that every time they order!

It seems ridiculous to expect someone to be active for a decade in order to be allowed to use the MM. I don't see anyone banning me from the OcUK store when I've not been active on the forum recently enough?
Except you dont need to be active for a decade? If you lose MM access because life has got in the way for a few months then you'll get MM access automatically reinstated when you start posting again. 15 over 90 was also chosen specifically to allow you to have days/weeks off.
If you managed to post enough to get access in the first place, then a couple of posts a week is hardly a big challenge.

You don't get banned from the ocuk store, as last time I checked you don't have the opportunity to scam other members there and disappear. Encouraging you to stay invested in your forum account, makes it less likely that you abandon it, taking another users money in a last gasp scam.

Soldato
This was a great read to cheer me up on a depressing first day back to work!

A quick guide on how to get MM access:

1) Argue with cheesefest about retail workers
2) Encourage [FnG]magnolia to hit the sauce more often and post wacky threads
3) Go into the GPU forum and say AMD/Nvidia are better than Nvidia/AMD for no reason
4) Become racist and post in the myriad of weird, race based threads in GD

There's at least 50 posts a week in those four categories alone, it's not too hard!

Associate
Can't say I think the new terms are any better. There's so many forums on here that aren't to do with PC building / overclocking that many posts don't actually provide any content that would actually benefit others, a bit like my one now :cry:

To me this was a case of if it isn't broken don't fix it, and it wasn't broken.

I'll of course tow the line, going to have to, but I still think it's a pointless change.

/Rant, on with my life I get :D

Soldato
i seriously dont get why some are kicking off like it's the end of the world, 15 posts ffs, literary a few lousy mins, not per day or per week, anyone would think the forum wants blood or something :cry:

makes me think there's more behind some folks reasons to kick off,hmm

Soldato
i seriously dont get why some are kicking off like it's the end of the world, 15 posts ffs, literary a few lousy mins, not per day or per week, anyone would think the forum wants blood or something :cry:

makes me think there's more behind some folks reasons to kick off,hmm
Because some of us moved on from posting on forums due to life stuff, and we're only here for the occasional lurk when new hardware came out, and the occasional purchases from MM if something interesting came up that we needed.

I guess the fact that I've started to post in GD + SC means this change has had the "desired" effect of making me "active"... even if it's going to be for about 2/3 days every 3 months

Associate
I guess it makes sense to an extent. Multiple times lately I've gone to post a reply to an interesting thread and stopped because I really couldn't be bothered :cry:

Soldato
Because some of us moved on from posting on forums due to life stuff, and we're only here for the occasional lurk when new hardware came out, and the occasional purchases from MM if something interesting came up that we needed.

I guess the fact that I've started to post in GD + SC means this change has had the "desired" effect of making me "active"... even if it's going to be for about 2/3 days every 3 months
Sounds a bit like "I've moved on from the community but want to come back every now and again to pick up a bargain from one of the community benefits" :p

Soldato
Sounds a bit like "I've moved on from the community but want to come back every now and again to pick up a bargain from one of the community benefits" :p
It's not about bargains - it's about reducing e-waste, helping people who want to get rid of items to do that in a safe environment (see the recent eBay thread here in GD).

I'm perfectly happy to go buy new at full price - but always check MM first in case there is someone wanting to get rid of whatever it is that I am looking for.

When there is something exciting happening in the "community", eg some new hardware that can actually be overclocked, or some new case designs - lurkers will post, but the current cycle of hardware is just "meh"

Last edited:
Soldato

you dont need 2/3 days though, one small discussion/asking advice, a few mins on even one day n you have 15 posts. its not as if you have to post once a month. if you've moved on from a forum then thats fine, im sure plenty other places to find a bargain/reduce ewaste. sometimes i dont post for wks, i probably bought 2 things on MM myself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom