Change to MM access after 1st January 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
in fairness i think most of us "sporadic" posters may have missed it back in August
Indeed, it's a shame that nothing is explained in the very first post of this thread too, so nobody needs to be confused why their access might have gone :(

@Feek you need to do better :(

Soldato
I enjoy reading the forums and do so daily. My contributions are very little these days, my post count stems from my student days, becoming a grown up has limited my enthusiasm to actually post much, but I am an avid reader. I also enjoy browsing the members market and very occasionally buying/selling things. In fact I’ve been constantly checking to see if any decent iPhones come up for sale recently.

Shame I, and others in a similar position, have (to me) unnecessarily lost access. But if those are the rules then those are the rules I guess! Just seems unnecessary.

Commissario
OP
in fairness i think most of us "sporadic" posters may have missed it back in August
The notice that I posted above has been there since August. It’s not just a one off, it’s been at the top of every single MM page since then and up until this morning, it’s not been possible to dismiss it.
So every single person who’s been into MM since August has had that notice at the top of the screen.

It wasn’t just there for a couple of days. It’s been there for over three months.

Soldato
Is there fine print on how we can make the required posts?
As in, if 15 posts are made in one day is that judged to be spam, even if said posts aren't just one word replies etc?
I have adhd and am really struggling with this and possibly overcomplicating what may or may not be hidden between the lines.

Associate
Would be interested to know what the actual problem being solved is... I've been a member for 13 years and have 2222 posts, which is an average of 14 posts per month -- but that fluctuates *a lot* depending how busy I am with work and life, and what interesting (or not) topics I come across. In reality does forcing someone to an artificial "15 posts per 90 days" make the tiniest iota of a difference to someone that is actively trying to scam the system? All it's going to do for me is force me to go and post until my count is back up, not natural posts (I think 2222 posts is more than enough evidence of good faith over 13 years). I'm assuming there's a genuine problem that this is trying to solve, but a bit of a weird one for me.

Edit: to say I'm not ungrateful, this is a free service that I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of over the years, and am very appreciative of that. But I also feel like I'm a genuine member, so in a way it feels like I'm being excluded now because I'm not "active enough".
Would I prefer to buy from you who has been a member for 13 years with 2200+ posts or someone who joined 6-7 months ago and spammed out 1000 meaningless posts, it just seems crazy. No idea who has what kind of feedback on the MM but you could have 100 positive sales and you'll be blocked unless you make 15 posts.

The MM must surely lead to extra OC sales too, I guess they have their logic behind it all, we can question but it is obviously not changing.

Soldato
The notice that I posted above has been there since August. It’s not just a one off, it’s been at the top of every single MM page since then and up until this morning, it’s not been possible to dismiss it.
So every single person who’s been into MM since August has had that notice at the top of the screen.

It wasn’t just there for a couple of days. It’s been there for over three months.

i'm completely blaming errr someone else for that.

Soldato

I can't see when I was last selling/buying in the MM (as I can't seem to see my feedback anymore either unless I'm being silly), but I have to also echo that I did not see it either.

Whilst I appreciate the good intent on ensuring member participation outside of the MM, I only pipe in on occasion with comments these days, so I wont be hitting the 90 day rolling requirement anymore either.

If I had seen it I would have suggested that it should be graded in the sense that those who have been members for decades (20 years for me in four months) with plenty (e.g. 10k+) of previous contributions in the past (which could be argued to have helped the forum develop in the first place) should have slightly less onerous requirements.

Equally I can't be the only long time member who no longer posts as much who has lost access, a net loss to the MM.

One of the reasons I do still browse OcUK and occasionally post is the MM, I won't change my behaviour to hit the required number to get back in. If the requirements stays as it is then thats the admins prerogative :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not sure what problem this is suppose to solve.

No nor me, I thought the MM worked very well in its former format. I'm unsure why it needed to change, you've now got a bunch of decent sellers & buyers, with thousands of posts, good trust ratings, and several years of supporting the forum who are losing access purely for not being quite as vocal as they once were.

Last edited:

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Oh looks like I've lost access too

As a suggestion from a UX point of view maybe it would be better to still show the MM section but when you click on it show a nice dynamic (UX!) message as to why you can't access it e.g.,
  • :) member for six months,
  • :) Over 1000 posts,
  • :( 11/15 required posts in the last 90 days
Letting new members see the MM section and the same message would probably save a lot of confusion as well.

Associate
Would be interested to know what the actual problem being solved is... I've been a member for 13 years and have 2222 posts, which is an average of 14 posts per month -- but that fluctuates *a lot* depending how busy I am with work and life, and what interesting (or not) topics I come across. In reality does forcing someone to an artificial "15 posts per 90 days" make the tiniest iota of a difference to someone that is actively trying to scam the system? All it's going to do for me is force me to go and post until my count is back up, not natural posts (I think 2222 posts is more than enough evidence of good faith over 13 years). I'm assuming there's a genuine problem that this is trying to solve, but a bit of a weird one for me.

Edit: to say I'm not ungrateful, this is a free service that I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of over the years, and am very appreciative of that. But I also feel like I'm a genuine member, so in a way it feels like I'm being excluded now because I'm not "active enough".

I made noise about finding out the real reason and I was point blank told (after multiple posts skirting around it) that it was to revive the forums and not to combat scammers.

I then did a data scrape at the time and found something along the lines of 40% of the threads made in the MM were by members like us (long standing, relatively quiet accounts) who mainly post in the MM and rarely in other forums.

I’ve made my peace with the choice, I’ve lost access and now only plan to keep my account for the free postage (however even that perk has gotten worse compared to competitor next day pricing and constant free postage offers).

Soldato
I then did a data scrape at the time and found something along the lines of 40% of the threads made in the MM were by members like us (long standing, relatively quiet accounts) who mainly post in the MM and rarely in other forums.

So you went to the effort to interrogate the forum software, but you don't want to contribute to part of the community for a few seconds or a minute a week? Seems like a weird peace IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom