cheap M3, whats the worst..

Soldato
OP
im on my way out, have some lols

this was before i got it on some ramps to tighten all the rear end bits. plugs had just gone back in after a good crank over to get some oil pressure.

it hadnt been started in months, hence my saying "if its got any fuel" at the start

it cranked and started after about two turns :D

Soldato
You nonce! :D

Good to see it firing up first time though, congrats. I must say, inside I feel the way you acted when a car that hasn't been run for ages first up first turn of the key.

Soldato
OP
MOT is booked for Wednesday (tomorrow) at 1pm. My mum is kindly taking it along for me.

i had a final going over of the car today. checked hub nuts etc things i may have forgotten. bulbs, the basics, and put the evo wheels on too. it looks brilliant.

chucked a couple gallons of super in there and it should be ready. all i had to do was temporarily swap the mk3 battery over and id be done.

wrong. mk3 battery was so much smaller than the original that the cables didnt reach the terminals!

a few minutes of intense head scratching later and i made a couple calls at about 9pm and a mate of mine from clubgti came out trumps with an old battery he had had laying about for over a year which happened to still show 12.something volts.

a quick dash round to his, bring back the battery and it fires first time :D

Soldato
OP
oh, almost forgot. i carried out some more important de-chav work today

i had a nasty M3 badge on the front grill. instant MOT fail i thought

DSC_0983.JPG

DSC_0982.JPG

quality item obviously
DSC_0984.JPG

as much as the whole "M" thing is great, plastering badges over the car is a touch desperate.

Soldato
OP
MOT failed. three items

Headlight alignment.
I hadnt tightened one of the nuts on the offside adjustable camber arm.
Excessive corrosion on rear jack points (which really cant be that bad as ive had it on axle stands for months)

I have to take it somewhere to weld. i cant weld myself but i also dont really know any garages so its a bit of a stab in the dark.

heres a funny one though. transferred insurance from mk3 golf to m3 today. i was quoted an eye watering additional £570 for the remaining 10.5 months of the policy. i could take out a brand new policy, with the same people, for £400.

i had forgot to tell him i wanted to change from TPFT to FC.

requoted me on FC and additional premium was £140 :D

Soldato
OP
another few £££ later the old girl has an MOT and the rear jacking points look nice again (i actually think it was just the floor around the jacking points as they worked just fine) but its all be stripped back, cleaned and repaired. no pics as its something i didnt do myself.

its being picked up tonight so itll be back on my driveway.

given the date, i wont be taxing it until saturday now

i ought to get a new maf ready for it really and hopefully drive it up to Elite for geometry on saturday afternoon

£££s for MOT
£££s for MAF
£££s for Geometry

Im still not certain if the thread title is sufficiently answered

Soldato
OP
before the paint on the rear arches, the new head/tail lights, lambdas?

good thing i like to fiddle

spending on the BMW will slow down for a while. i have a half built garage, which would be so much better once the roof is on, so i want to make sure i have the readies ready for when it comes to finishing that.

obviously ill be able to get far more car stuff done once i have a proper garage :D

Caporegime
Beam in the garage roof so you can lift stuff using it ;)

Wanted one in ours, but due to width of the garage and the roof pitching in 4 directions it simply doesn't have the structural strength in the loft floor for such things, which is a shame!

Soldato
OP
there is a proper beam thats going to be going across. it will have a block tackle / engine hoist

the same beam will also support a projector, the compressor will also be going in the roof

sadly, now that the BMW if functional and has moved from the front of the house, i really ought to actually carry on with painting the house as the car was stuck there so long, nothing has been done at the front

Soldato
OP
its back on my drive. being a newb at bodywork stuff i had to ask if it was undersealed/protected and it is and waxed inside apparently. ill have a look myself when its up in the air again

next little adventure is tax it this weekend, get some geometry done and then drive it.

Soldato
OP
Tax disc applied for online.

After midnight tomorrow night, Ill actually be able to drive it :D

Can anyone recall how serious an offence it is to use a car that doesnt display a valid tax disc?

Soldato
OP
hi there

its maiden voyage was a success, just got back in. i didnt get pulled over once (its probably still showing as SORN) and i didnt buy or sell any illicit substances

this evening i had the intake system apart as the idle wasnt satisfactory. the idle on mine seems to hang at about 900rpm as youre coming to a stop and then drop to 600rpm when you do actually stop and it does it consistently. i dont know if that is fluke or broken, any ideas?

all in all it drove nicely considering its dodgy geometry and feels quick. the shove feels in the region of 200lbft ish but its most surprising thing is going from 2nd to 3rd flat out, it really does pull well but i think there is more to come.

it responds well going on and off throttle, its easy to drive it smoothly. its relatively lazy to drive as there is a fair chunk of easily accessible torque almost everywhere. you seem to be in a gear higher almost everywhere compared to the Golf 1.8t. An Evo M3 must feel great as they are meant to have an extra 30lbft in most places

the sound is lovely. i wont be modifying the intake or exhaust unless i find a supersprint at a very good price.

only unexpected noise was the rear diff in slow tight turns. i did choose to use 75w90 oil. there is a lot of talk on the net about 75w140 fixing everything

the drive/hoon netted just over 25mpg average which i thought was good

temps all behaved as expected, even the interior is relatively rattle free, im actually slightly smitten with it. just need to sort those lights out to make it look less of a spacker.

geometry in the morning :D

its been a lot of work but im dead happy with it so far. for not a lot of money i think i might have a bit of a belter

i might rig up my phone as a camera and take it for a drive. it might be a bit of a boring video but im sure someone would be interested

Back
Top Bottom