Cheap vs Expensive helmets and your preferred bike style?

Man of Honour
Shoei Qwest
CBR600FS

Bit of a bargain hunter and have very good quality gear without spending much at all.
Tempted to get a cheap 2nd lid for shop runs/airport and pillion.

Soldato
5 star sharp rating, then quality of construction and feel, then price.

I currently have an x-lite x 603.
it was the only plain black helmet i could find in my price range with a decent rating at the time.

Soldato
Currently using a Nolan N90 N-Com flip thing.
Previously a Caberg V2 fan.

I'd generally not go lower than a Caberg, spec-wise, as while the basic safety may be excellent, the features in daily use often aren't up to it.

I'd *love* a Shoei Neotec, which is the best personal match I've found so far but that's a LOT of money for me.

Bike - FJ1200-3XW Sporty-Tourer-Fast-Thing.
I've mostly been on Cruisers and a couple of Hoolie-bikes in the past, but my kit has not really changed. Armoured leather jacket, armoured leather trews, 1982 Falklands issue combat boots, padded leather gloves.
I am using a textile jacket at the minute, though there's pros and cons to both options.

I generally find peoples' gear doesn't have anything to do with their bike, unless they're Power Rangers. Most tend to wear what works for them, either as daily users or as short-term occasional riders.

I've seen both full-kit and the t-shirts, shorts and flip-flops on Cruisers, Trailies, Sporties and all sorts in between.
Not seen Power Ranger suits on anything below 1000cc, I don't think...

Associate
Shoei Neotec
VFR1200

You should buy the best gear you can get for you budget based on its primary function, the level of protection that it gives. After that I suppose it's about looks, brand maybe, and other features.

Soldato
This is one of those topics which was mentioned many times and there's tons of similar threads created. But... what are you opinions on the expensive helmets vs cheapish helmets?

I personally have Shark S700S which is not bad for the price, but when I had in my hands Icon Airframe Ghost Carbon it felt a lot more premium, it was lighter, the ventilation seemed better and the inside of the helmet seemed to be engineered better.

I'm also interested what sort of bikes you ride along with your opinion, as from my observation people on naked and supersports have more protective gear and it usually costs quite a bit more as its usually leathers. Not saying other bike riders don't wear appropriate gear, as they wear appropriate gear to the bike they ride.

So what are you thoughts on this topic?

I've had one cheap helmet and it just felt unsafe. It was a flip-up one (felt like if I came off, it'd fail at the hinge in some way) and was just nasty in terms of styling. I only bought it cos I had literally just passed my CBT in the morning, picked up my bike in the afternoon, bought a cheap helmet from the same shop and rode home :D

I then upgraded to a Shoei XR1100 a few years ago. I wanted a Shoei for no particular reason & liked the look of it, plus SportsBikeShop offer free returns if they don't fit, so gave it shot. It fit nicely.

Also turns out it's nice & quiet with the whisper kit and has perfect speaker holes for the Sena 20S headset.

Helmets over here need to pass certain tests, so in terms of safety you'll be fine with something cheap. Granted, a more expensive helmet can (but not always) offer more protection. Not sure how up to date this is these days, but you can see the safety ratings of helmets here: http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

I've only ever had naked bikes so far. I wear textile bottoms and jacket zipped together for winter. This summer I've only been wearing my leather jacket & jeans. Should really get some kevlar jeans.

I've seen people on naked and supersports in shorts and t-shirt and other riders in full kit. There isn't really a trend with who wears better kit at all. Maybe you just have a lot of chavs riding supersports and naked in your area :p

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Well... I've seen a guy on K7 black gixxer wit t-shirt, shorts and some casual footwear. But in general most people on naked/supersports have more protective gear than someone on a classical or harley bike.

I have Shark S700S, textile jacket with armour, kevlar jeans, bikers boots with ankle support and leather gloves that go past my wrist. I don't see too often other people on 125's with that much gear on, its usually chavs in jogging bottoms... I don't care what others wear, their life... their choice. To me no gear doesn't seem "cool", a biker looks so much better in full proper gear.

I'm still thinking of what bike to buy once I pass, it also depends on my budget and how much I'll be able to save up. But if I buy a classical bike such as triumph boneville then leather jacket, casual kevlar jeans, some casual protective footwear with ankle support and black leather gloves and for the helmet something such as the Shark RAW.

IF I buy a sport such as GSXR, I'll go with 2-piece suit, full facial helmet such as Icon Airframe or Shoei GT, boots that also protect your tibia, gloves that go way past your wrist and full back protector.

There's a reason for why I would do that, I would take the sports bike to trackdays and classical I would just ride normally like a good boy. :p

Associate
I have an AGV K3 which cost in the region of £120/£130 and I came off recently with it at about 120mph and although scuffed, the lid (and my head) have been fine. I did suffer from headaches for a couple weeks but I think that would happen with any lid if you bang your head hard enough.

I have an R6 track bike with which I have an Astars GP pro 1 piece suit, SMX plus boots and SP1 gloves - all of which did its job well I might add :)

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
I have an AGV K3 which cost in the region of £120/£130 and I came off recently with it at about 120mph and although scuffed, the lid (and my head) have been fine. I did suffer from headaches for a couple weeks but I think that would happen with any lid if you bang your head hard enough.

I have an R6 track bike with which I have an Astars GP pro 1 piece suit, SMX plus boots and SP1 gloves - all of which did its job well I might add :)

Ouch, how badly injured were you? I think the protection level stops at a certain price point, then its just looks, comfort, extra features, better air vents and other features which won't protect you better during a crash. But will make your life a lot easier during your normal ride outs.

Associate
I walked away with lightly, cut finger, grazed inner arm (where the stretch panel is on the leathers), bruised thigh, bruise on my back, sore wrist and a headache. The only thing that still hurts is the wrist. It was money well spent on the gear that's for certain! When you consider a young girl (21) came off in pitlane and hit a metal railing and died it puts things in perspective. It's not the coming off so much as what you hit / hits you that will do the damage. Just look at Stuart Eastons crash at Brands last weekend :eek:

The same however cannot be said for the bike, but it's nearly back together now :)

Soldato
What I do is buy last years kit at discounted prices. I've got 3 HJC helmets that cost me no more than £100 each but when they were released were all round the £250 - £300 mark. I did buy a Shoei Neotec and whilst all helmets must meet a minimum standard the Shoei's extra cost is easily noticeable in the quality of the lining as it was just so much more comfortable out of the box than my HJC's which I thought, and still think, were comfy. They're just not in the Neotec's league for comfort.

For the last 3 years I've ridden more upright seated position tall bikes but am thinking of getting a sports tourer though I might get myself a "fun" bike, MT-09, but that probably won't happen as I get lots of ideas that never pan out.

Soldato
What's the consensus on us lowly 125 riders? I ride everywhere in RST blade textile jacket and trousers with RST racetec boots and gloves. Spada helmet from the Honda main dealer... A few friends have passed comment 'you're only on a 125' type crap... Better safe than sorry!

Associate
What's the consensus on us lowly 125 riders? I ride everywhere in RST blade textile jacket and trousers with RST racetec boots and gloves. Spada helmet from the Honda main dealer... A few friends have passed comment 'you're only on a 125' type crap... Better safe than sorry!

Just cause its a 125 doesn't mean you won't get seriously injured if someone sideswipes you or you take a tumble going full throttle. Ignore your friends and let them kill themselves if they don't want to protect their limbs ;)

Associate

When you're busy sliding down the road it doesn't really matter what bike you were just riding, or what your mates think, its all about whether you had the right gear on.

Soldato
My sentiments entirely, I may look like a 'tard but I stand a better chance than I perhaps otherwise would... Maybe it's because I'm a bit older than your average 125 rider my mates are faggots... It'll all be just as relevant once I do my A license and get a Daytona :D

Soldato
And yet on my pushbike I've reached 54mph in Lycra...

How much of a factor is the sharp guide to you lot? my £70 helmet has a 4 star rating, my mrs' Shark S700 has a 4 star rating at nearly twice the price... looks much more badass than mine though to be fair... Also there are some expensive 4* helmets out there and cheap 5* helmets... I guess it's not the be all and end all.

Last edited:
Associate
Sliding down the road at 50mph hurts whether its a 125 or a 1200 you've just fallen off, always wear gear, whether you look a 'tard or not.

Caberg V2RR
VFR750F

Soldato
I was surprised when visiting Amsterdam last week (on the motorbike - crazy city to ride in!) that generally no one wears crash helmets on cycles or scooters. Cycles I wasn't surprised at, but assumed helmets were a European law for motorized bikes? I found it quite refreshing to be honest, especially seeing all the hot women on bikes!

Back
Top Bottom