• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Check Your 4090's 12vhpwr Connectors To Make Sure They are in Pristine Condition

Soldato
And a guy that actually knows what he's talking about!
"rambling about the 12VHPWR failures"
he s wrong in assuming the problem is at the pin end. the plastic is thinnest at the pin end, also as he pointed out air flow makes a difference. where the heat is generated may well be the solder joint but that area has more plastic to melt and the plastic gets airflow. when compared with the pin end which is just a few micron thick plastic which will have similar heat due to the metal pin conducting heat from solder joint to the top and also the plastic is buried in the female sokcet no air flow. so the ends melt first as there is less material to heat up and the plastic is wrapped heat blanket.

Last edited:
Associate
I think all that is left is as to how Nv handle this situation. Will they go full Apple and deny there is a problem and tell us we are doing it wrong? Or will they go the Samsung route and accept they have made a huge design flaw and rectify their error.
This Jensen I-admire-Apple Huang so I'd say will go that people are bending it wrong.
Jay had concerns about it and raised them with nvidia and got kinda cocky emails back from them saying "it just works".
It's the conceit of being/thinking they are Apple again!

What was Nvidia's research budget last year?
Since being burned by Nvidia's bumbgate solder mess-up, I have been weary of a hardware company which boasts that they have software engineer than hardware ones. Not that they don't need software, but rather that this implies that the hardware ones aren't respected. Would love to know if someone internally raise this issue before release.

Last edited:
Associate
he s wrong in assuming the problem is at the pin end. the plastic is thinnest at the pin end, also as he pointed out air flow makes a difference. where the heat is generated may well be the solder joint but that area has more plastic to melt and the plastic gets airflow. when compared with the pin end which is just a few micron thick plastic which will have similar heat due to the metal pin conducting heat from solder joint to the top and also the plastic is buried in the female sokcet no air flow. so the ends melt first as there is less material to heat up and the plastic is wrapped heat blanket.
I hope you're not trying to defend a death trap!?

Last edited:
Soldato
I hope you're not trying to defend a death trap!?
not defending anything in those dodgy plugs. just pointing out that a man you said "knows what he s talking about" which is heavily disclaimed that he s no expert, puts an assertion on YT which shouldn't be taking onboard as truth or facts. in such a small plastic thing, so muhc is going on. it is no wonder it is a fire hazard

Last edited:
Soldato
Since being burned by Nvidia's bumbgate solder mess-up, I have been weary of a hardware company which boasts that they have software engineer than hardware ones. Not that they don't need software, but rather that this implies that the hardware ones aren't respected. Would love to know if someone internally raise this issue before release.
admittedly whats clever about nvidia product is their software the driver, the AI, the DLSS algo etc??

Associate
admittedly whats clever about nvidia product is their software the driver, the AI, the DLSS algo etc??
I believe that was their boast was trying to say, but since their choice of solder back in 2008ish was so poor I do question if they are any good at the basic electrical hardware engineering.

As for people worried about this on the 4080: well the plug is poor but driving near its max current through also matters so if the TDP of the 4080 is a lot lower than the 4090s it might be okay.

Associate
not defending anything in those dodgy plugs. just pointing out that a man you said "knows what he s talking about" which is heavily disclaimed that he s no expert, puts an assertion on YT which shouldn't be taking onboard as truth or facts. in such a small plastic thing, so muhc is going on. it is no wonder it is a fire hazard
I think the notice is to cover his arse and keep him out of court lol. He was paid in the past to do PCB videos for Gamers Nexus. And regularly mentioned by the biggest YT channels.
Last thing I've got to say on this subject is if you have a 4090 and no ATX 3.0 PSU to power to without an adapter. Send the card back end of story lol. And going forward 4080 ect......

Soldato
Last thing I've got to say on this subject is if you have a 4090 and no ATX 3.0 PSU to power to without an adapter. Send the card back end of story lol. And going forward 4080 ect......
for sure...seems like it will fail at some point. when it does - it aint gonna be pretty. put the Ampere card back in and wait for the 3rd party adaptor to become available or go and buy a new PSU with native support

the card is launched 16 days ago, well within a consumers 30day return period.

those bought off ebay tho - might be better off to trade it in at the highstreet vendor :D

Last edited:
Soldato
There are the pictures in his post that show the other manufacturers cables with clear faults. I do not see what clarity you need other than the pics.

Ah yes, pictures.

There were 100s of thousands of units sold with the 3090Ti using an NVIDIA vetted connector from a different source. Do you see any failures dating back that far?

There is a multitude of reasons why this has come to pass, the least of them is the design of the connector itself.

Last edited:
Soldato
So is this another controversy around an NV launch that will end up soon forgotten? 20 series it was failing 2080 Ti's :)

Not read much on this but seems to be a bit of user error around install the cable. If you're going to bend it sideways along the length then yep you're asking for trouble. Do it as NV suggests and likely no problem.......

Caporegime
You no what’s strange - I’ve never seen anyone with a pc burnt out.

You would think it might happen a lot more with the power consumption of some of these systems.

I had a cpu cable and socket melt and catch fire. Scared the **** out of me. So glad i was using the PC at the time rather than leaving it on.

Took the mobo and cpu out with it.

Associate
Looking to get a MSI 4090 Gaming X (or non X, I really don't mind) when they become available and prices go down a bit. Hearing all these problems about the melting connector prompted me to buy the Corsair one in anticipation. Do you guys think this one will be okay? Jayztwocents says he stands by it but other people still show concern. What a strange situation.

Soldato
That would be sparking not arcing, arcing is when it jumps an air gap, sparking is when the voltage is to high for whatever the contact patch is (dragging live connectors over each other can result in a tiny contact patch that overheats and melts, a bit like how a fuse melts/blows when to much current is passed through it only on a microscopic level).

That's one large spark right there on 12v aka an arc. Also as explained in my previous reply not the volts that matter but the amperage/current.

Last edited:
Associate
It can depending on the amperage, you can even get 12v arc welders. It's not the voltage as many confuse but the current/amperage.
Not exactly. You can get arcing on a high-current 12V circuit, but it happens because because there's enough inductance that trying to interrupt the circuit causes the voltage to increase high enough to break down the air. Or, in the case of that 24V (two 12V batteries in series) welder you posted, the current is high enough to vapourise metal, forming a conductive plasma. That isn't going to happen with any 12V connector in a PC.

Back
Top Bottom