• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Check Your 4090's 12vhpwr Connectors To Make Sure They are in Pristine Condition

This is how the 12VHPWR is done correctly: Crimping instead of soldering and how to supply the GeForce RTX 4090 with power properly​

English version of the article and video below too but in German and can be set to English with Youtubes auto translate but not worth it.

This should prompt recall of the cables. The recall isn't to send them back but throw them in the bin.
At this point its no myth that "it's only a matter of time" if you are using those 4090 adapters. But I do wonder who still thinks these adapters are "fine".

Last edited:
This should prompt recall of the cables. The recall isn't to send them back but throw them in the bin.
At this point its no myth that "it's only a matter of time" if you are using those 4090 adapters. But I do wonder who still thinks these adapters are "fine".

Oh but they've allegedly sold "hundreds of thousands" of these cards, (at least according to a single person on here who has no actual way of knowing if thats the case or not), so these are just outliers and not worth any concern...

Oh but they've allegedly sold "hundreds of thousands" of these cards, (at least according to a single person on here who has no actual way of knowing if thats the case or not), so these are just outliers and not worth any concern...
if you can afford a 4090 you can afford the insurance to fix your life when it burns down around you*

*family not included

This is how the 12VHPWR is done correctly: Crimping instead of soldering and how to supply the GeForce RTX 4090 with power properly​

English version of the article and video below too but in German and can be set to English with Youtubes auto translate but not worth it.

[..]
That photo of the cable! I'd be a bit upset if I paid £2 for such a shoddy piece of work and was intending to have no more than 20W running through it. I'd be more than a bit upset if that came with a £2K+ graphics card and would have 450W running through it. It wouldn't be any more insulting if the phrase "LOL SUCKER!" was printed all over the cable.

It doesn't look correct to me. The burn marks seem to be developing at the exposed ends where the adapter mates with the graphic card. I would suggest the guy needs to do a more proper analysis of the issue

i'm going to use 1 of my 30 adapter lives tomorrow to check my 4090 adapter for damage. i've used it for about an hours gaming everyday since i got it on the 13th so about 16 hours gaming use.

Seems now people are becoming aware and checking their connectors they are popping up more each day... Recall incoming ... :rolleyes:
It's really a shame that some won't believe until they see it for themselves. It's like they truly believe they are immune to the faulty adapters. But at least they are checking to actually see something is up before it gets any worst.

The actual correct response to all this is just remove the adapter regardless if you see any issues or not.

Last edited:
and the results after 30mins of cyberpunk @ pyscho 3440x1440

BHqcAT4.jpg
I'm with @Purgatory on this one: heat rises and an IR thermometer aimed at the actual cables in question is the way to measure this. Well, for those us who don't have thermal imaging camera.

Having said that, your case is wide enough to not have to worry about bending the cables
Yes they are

There is about 10 reports now of melting on Reddit and on every single one of them it's the 4x8 or 3x8 adaptor connector that's melted

There are no reports yet of issues with proper cables, though it's worth noting the fast majority of 4090 owners have been using the adaptors and not aftermarket cables
Wasn't there a report that not using the poor official adapter is meant to void the warranty?

And that even when everything goes well those adapters are rated at a crazy low max insert/removals anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom