• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Check Your 4090's 12vhpwr Connectors To Make Sure They are in Pristine Condition

I don’t understand why people are so bothered about a revised cable.

If you’ve already been using one what difference does it really make if they release a new one? It won’t provide a performance increase or reduce power consumption. If you’ve already got a working card and cable it’s pretty irrelevant IMO.
It's probably an uneasy feeling of not wanting to be the next member of the melted cable club. When it happens, we all see the headlines but it doesn't seem anyone here has had it happen to them..?

If you’ve already been using one what difference does it really make if they release a new one? It won’t provide a performance increase or reduce power consumption. If you’ve already got a working card and cable it’s pretty irrelevant IMO.

Because it’s a flawed design regardless and these are incredibly expensive products. Future GPU’s will also have the updated connector so I would like my £250+ PSU to be fully aligned and not the odd link in the chain.

Because it’s a flawed design regardless and these are incredibly expensive products. Future GPU’s will also have the updated connector so I would like my £250+ PSU to be fully aligned and not the odd link in the chain.

Well future GPU’s will quite possibly have yet another connector instead.

Sort of get what you’re saying but it doesn’t really matter too much TBH.

after paying such a premium and them doing revision obviously something isnt right with it leaves sour taste , Also can see when it comes time to sell it on and being asked if it is the old or new connector

They should be recall and replace connectors for free

Last edited:
Already annoyed that my 4090 FE now has the ‘old’ connector on it. You know in years to come people will ask which connector it has when you go to sell it etc.

Exactly this^ You can see it already next year in the MM forums. Buyers will ask which connector you have. This is what happens when your a early adopter.

Last edited:
So my understanding is the ATX3.0 PSUs that used 12VHPWR on both the power supply and GPU side have an 'issue', whereas companies that elected to use multiple PCIE connectors on the PSU side that combine to the new 12VHPWR have a much simpler job of just issuing a new cable with 12V2x6.

I must be missing something, yes, there is more faff from a manufacturing side to produce a rev2 updated model (as naturally they won't want to keep producing units using the older standard on the psu side), but in the interim, I can't imagine it's difficult to accommodate their customers and simply have a cable keeping one end 12VHPWR (PSU side) to 12V2x6 (GPU side)?

Last edited:
It's probably an uneasy feeling of not wanting to be the next member of the melted cable club. When it happens, we all see the headlines but it doesn't seem anyone here has had it happen to them..?
It has happened to people who have bought from OCUK as he/she posted in the Cablemod forum that he bought his GPU from here.

I'm guessing said person hasn't posted here because they knew the risks using the Cablemod adaptor and didn't feel like posting here when those who know don't touch those adaptors with a barge pole.

Already annoyed that my 4090 FE now has the ‘old’ connector on it. You know in years to come people will ask which connector it has when you go to sell it etc.
I don't understand this logic, the "old" connector has obviously worked for years, but now (in the future) when you come to sell it, it's going to stop working for the buyer all of a sudden ?

I don't understand this logic, the "old" connector has obviously worked for years, but now (in the future) when you come to sell it, it's going to stop working for the buyer all of a sudden ?

No, but clearly one is more susceptible to damage than the other otherwise they wouldn’t have made changes to the design so quickly. It’s always going to be known as the connector that melted even if the numbers are very small.

No, but clearly one is more susceptible to damage than the other otherwise they wouldn’t have made changes to the design so quickly. It’s always going to be known as the connector that melted even if the numbers are very small.
I'm not sure people will care, not unless the flaw becomes more problematic in the future and more cards with the connector start melting, based on current melts if it was going to melt it would have probably happened by now, unless there's a serious flaw that makes all the connectors a ticking time bomb

The connector has "special needs" in that it requires extra care and attention that other connectors in a normal PC build manage just fine without.

If two used cards are on offer and the only difference is the connector revisions, I'm going to prefer the revised connector. (assuming it pans out once in the wild) -particularly if both cards are out of warranty.

after paying such a premium and them doing revision obviously something isnt right with it leaves sour taste , Also can see when it comes time to sell it on and being asked if it is the old or new connector

They should be recall and replace connectors for free
Here here! I agree the only way is a recall… Nvidia do the decent thing now?!?

Spending £1600 and worrying about if your card is next in line for melt-gate is very unsatisfactory.

I'm not sure people will care, not unless the flaw becomes more problematic in the future and more cards with the connector start melting, based on current melts if it was going to melt it would have probably happened by now, unless there's a serious flaw that makes all the connectors a ticking time bomb

I would care because if we continue this trend with pricing I'll be looking for used cards and would want new connector considering probably won't have any or much warranty left

Back
Top Bottom