• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Check Your 4090's 12vhpwr Connectors To Make Sure They are in Pristine Condition

This is annoying.

Yep. No way to know when existing stock will sell out so you get the new connectors.

OR buy it but only use a PSU with native 12VHPWR like Corsairs ShiftX series... nigh on all the melting issues I've seen, Not all but most, Come from people using CableMods 90/180 adapter or cheapy amazon 12VHPWR cables.
Yea seems safer option. As someone who was genuinely tempted to buy a 4090, I just decided the cost is just too high and the risk too vague. Better to wait for the refresh or the 50 series at this juncture.

Yea seems safer option. As someone who was genuinely tempted to buy a 4090, I just decided the cost is just too high and the risk too vague. Better to wait for the refresh or the 50 series at this juncture.
That will likely not come anytime soon (2+ years I reckon) and price might be even higher. Plus, same plug most likely.

OR buy it but only use a PSU with native 12VHPWR like Corsairs ShiftX series... nigh on all the melting issues I've seen, Not all but most, Come from people using CableMods 90/180 adapter or cheapy amazon 12VHPWR cables.
Or just buy Corsair cable that works with their older PSUs as well, which is what I did. Zero issues so far, not even warm in touch under full stress.

I feel like they have already discovered the price ceiling, likely on cards below the 4090. Sure there will always be someone buying whatever the price but sale volumes clearly not amazing in the lower tiers

This is annoying.

It is however I am not worried, All they're doing is shortening the sense pins to make sure people connect properly and maybe a smidgen of thicker pins don't know how true this is however as long as you're not using one of Cablemods dodgy adaptors and using a good spec PSU cable with both ends fully plugged I am quite confident you won't have any issues.

Last edited:
This is annoying.

connectors were grand sure, all user error.

User error indeed but bad product design because you shouldn't need to train a user how to use the product if it's a mass market product. Well I mean you can design a product that way, but good product design should be idiot proof

Nvidia could have used 4 8 pins for this, but optically that makes the card look like a power hog, so they went with this dinky little connector and we are where we are now.

FYI to everyone with a Seasonic this was their response:

Dear Josh,

Thank you for contacting Seasonic.

We are currently working on this new connector as not all information's are confirmed yet especially regarding backward compatibility of this new connector with current 12VHPWR connector. We will keep updated our customers on our website once we have more information.

Any other question, please let us know.
Thank you.

I also contacted SeaSonic support, here's my email:

Hi Seasonic support -

Firstly, I would like to say how much of a fan of your products I am. I have only bought/used SeaSonic power supplies in the last 20 years and would always recommend your products to anyone who asks what PSUs I recommend. I believe the reliability and quality to justify any premium and would like to continue buying your power supplies.

I purchased a Vertex GX-1200 for a new PC build, purchasing it from <Competitor> in the UK on the 25th May 2023. The PSU is great and I was hoping for many years of trouble free use, given the fact I had invested in a ATX 3.0 / PCIe 5.0 ready PSU.

So I am hugely disappointed to learn that PCI-SIG and NVidia have already released a replacement for the 12VHPWR connector, a 12V2x6 connector. I am left feeling that my investment was a poor one, in less than two months I've found it been replaced by a new standard. I am now left wishing I purchased a different PSU, one which takes three PCIe connectors from the PSU to a 12VHPWR connection - at least then I could use those PCIe PSU connections on the PSU for something else!

I understand other customers have contacted you regarding this and that you may be working on a new connector? Can you give any ETA for this solution?

Thank you and best wishes,

This is the reply from SeaSonic support:

Dear ***,

Thank you for contacting Seasonic and for choosing our VERTEX Series.

Like you may have noticed, standards are updated when required and unfortunately, this is beyond our control as we only apply them to our products. Now, we are working on this new connector, and we may have in a near future, a cable that will be compatible. However, it's still in early stage so it's difficult to provide any schedule on when and where you can get it. We will make sure to communicate more about this on our website/newsletter as soon as possible.
Rest assured that for now, as long as this 12VHPWR connector is properly use, it's safe.

Any other question, please let us know.
Thank you.

I hope we get an updated cable. Otherwise I’m going to be really annoyed just on principle alone.

Already annoyed that my 4090 FE now has the ‘old’ connector on it. You know in years to come people will ask which connector it has when you go to sell it etc.

They should never have released it in this state, the whole thing seems like a rushed mess.

I hope we get an updated cable. Otherwise I’m going to be really annoyed just on principle alone.
I agree, if I thought that <Competitor> would let me change my GX-1200 for a credit note or straight swap, I'd ask them. But at the end of the day, I am well outside the distance selling 14 days, the PSU does work and is fit for purpose - I've got no grounds really other than an item which I bought expecting to have many years of trouble free use out of, has already been superseded. I can only imagine how gutted anyone might be who bought an Nvidia card recently would be!

I can only hope that this starts to gain traction in the tech media and the negative coverage results in PSU companies (not just SeaSonic) releasing a solution or goodwill exchange programme.

I don’t understand why people are so bothered about a revised cable.

If you’ve already been using one what difference does it really make if they release a new one? It won’t provide a performance increase or reduce power consumption. If you’ve already got a working card and cable it’s pretty irrelevant IMO.

Back
Top Bottom