• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Check Your 4090's 12vhpwr Connectors To Make Sure They are in Pristine Condition

It's interesting that people latched onto user error as *the* cause of melting originally, and now that cable mod adapters are melting too, it's Cablemod's adapters' fault.

Here me out:

I saw the JTC video that shows a lot of play with the adapter connected and understand how people could asume that the play ammounts to "not fully seated" and thus results in the condition that many assume is the single and only cause for melting. -effectively resulting in a connection that's "not fully seated."

The issue is that there are adapters that are melting when clearly fully seated. There are pictures on reddit and close up video from Northridge Fix of perma-fused adapters that are fully seated.

It seems like the community is shoehorning all Cablemod Adapter failures into the original "not fully seated" issue and ignoring video and images to the contrary. I think a lot of people are now blind to the possibility that there could be more than one way to end up with a melted connector.

Yes, GN was only able to reproduce melting with their (tiny) sample size by running the connector partially inserted and, the connector that was sent to the lab had marks indicating that it also wasn't fully inserted.

I understand how this would lead the community to assume that partially inserted connectors is THE (single) cause for melting connectors.

However, we now have evidence that fully-seated connections can still melt.

Do we assume that no other connectors can or have melt(ed) while fully inserted? Or is it possible that there is only one way to reproduce melting 100% of the time (partially-inserted) and other causes of the melting require larger sample sizes to catch and reproduce?

My point is: there are examples of Cable Mod adapters melting when fully seated. Whatever caused those fully-inserted connectors to melt, it wasn't the cause GN found in their limited testing. It's something else.

Whatever this fully-inserted failure mode is, it would be nieve to assume all other connectors are immune. Cablemod used the same specs everyone else used to ensure fitment and compatability. It's still just metal pins in plastic housings at the point of failure.

We don't have a large enough sample size to nail down what is going on, but there is evidence that partially-inserted connectors is not the only cause of melting. There are clearly other ways to get a failure and we should be more curious rather than just ignore it.

Just one example for reference: This is clearly fully seated and it's melted in place.
aSxuDIe.jpg

Last edited:
It's interesting that people latched onto user error as *the* cause of melting originally, and now that cable mod adapters are melting too, it's Cablemod's adapters' fault.

Here me out:

I saw the JTC video that shows a lot of play with the adapter connected and understand how people could asume that the play ammounts to "not fully seated" and thus results in the condition that many assume is the single and only cause for melting. -effectively resulting in a connection that's "not fully seated."

The issue is that there are adapters that are melting when clearly fully seated. There are pictures on reddit and close up video from Northridge Fix of perma-fused adapters that are fully seated.

It seems like the community is shoehorning all Cablemod Adapter failures into the original "not fully seated" issue and ignoring video and images to the contrary. I think a lot of people are now blind to the possibility that there could be more than one way to end up with a melted connector.

Yes, GN was only able to reproduce melting with their (tiny) sample size by running the connector partially inserted and, the connector that was sent to the lab had marks indicating that it also wasn't fully inserted.

I understand how this would lead the community to assume that partially inserted connectors is THE (single) cause for melting connectors.

However, we now have evidence that fully-seated connections can still melt.

Do we assume that no other connectors can or have melt(ed) while fully inserted? Or is it possible that there is only one way to reproduce melting 100% of the time (partially-inserted) and other causes of the melting require larger sample sizes to catch and reproduce?

My point is: there are examples of Cable Mod adapters melting when fully seated. Whatever caused those fully-inserted connectors to melt, it wasn't the cause GN found in their limited testing. It's something else.

Whatever this fully-inserted failure mode is, it would be nieve to assume all other connectors are immune. Cablemod used the same specs everyone else used to ensure fitment and compatability. It's still just metal pins in plastic housings at the point of failure.

We don't have a large enough sample size to nail down what is going on, but there is evidence that partially-inserted connectors is not the only cause of melting. There are clearly other ways to get a failure and we should be more curious rather than just ignore it.

Just one example for reference: This is clearly fully seated and it's melted in place.
aSxuDIe.jpg
The reason being is because GN used a cable not an adaptor which is why it was user error and I still believe it is to this day for the cable melts because surprise surprise there are almost 0 reports of cables melting when a quality cable and fully inserted was used.

The Cablemod adaptors fully seated melting is because they're trash, Trash plastic and not the recommended terminals hence they're suddenly revising the adaptor.

No they're not revising the adaptor out of goodwill or because of the sense issue that plagues Cablemods cables and adaptors they're revising because they know they cheaped out on components whether it be cheap plastic and not the same quality reputable PSU manufacturers use or the terminals are the 2 or 3 dimple design which is not recommended.

Cablemod revising the adaptor is as good as what you would call a recall they're no they did not test them properly.

Last edited:
The Cablemod adaptors fully seated melting is because they're trash, Trash plastic and not the recommended terminals hence they're suddenly revising the adaptor.

No they're not revising the adaptor out of goodwill or because of the sense issue that plagues Cablemods cables and adaptors they're revising because they know they cheaped out on components whether it be cheap plastic and not the same quality reputable PSU manufacturers use or the terminals are the 2 or 3 dimple design[snip]

And you somehow just "know" no other connector vendor "cheaped out"?

Not a Cablemod adapter:

vep0dju-jpg.459221

"Don't be a sissy! Push harder until it's fully seated!"

Okay then:
bide4ip-jpg.459222

It seems that a lot of the community had decided that the 12VHPWR connectors were incapable of meting in the absence of user error.

Any subsequent evidence to the contrary must be viewed in a manner that maintains the core belief that the 12VHPWR connector is infallible.

So when we see pictures of 12VHPWR connectors perma-fused and clearly fully inserted, blame cable mod for being "cheap" in a way that no other connector vendor ever has or ever will be.

The 12VHPWR cannot fail. This is the sacrament.

Personally,, I'm curious what, precisely, is going on in the few cases of full-insertion-melting have finally been captired in the wild. Pins? Plastic? Load balancing? I want to know.

I'm also curious if there is a temperature state for the plastic whereby it becomes soft enough that the retaining mechanism no longer is effective and at the same time expands enough to push out of the connector a bit. If so, GN may have simply skipped-ahead to a point in the failure process that produces the same aftermath but doesn't capture one of the failure modes from the actual start of the process.

I suspect that we do not yet have a full understanding of the situation.

Last edited:
And you somehow just "know" no other connector vendor "cheaped out"?

Not a Cablemod adapter:

vep0dju-jpg.459221

"Don't be a sissy! Push harder until it's fully seated!"

Okay then:
bide4ip-jpg.459222

It seems that a lot of the community had decided that the 12VHPWR connectors were incapable of meting in the absence of user error.

Any subsequent evidence to the contrary must be viewed in a manner that maintains the core belief that the 12VHPWR connector is infallible.

So when we see pictures of 12VHPWR connectors perma-fused and clearly fully inserted, blame cable mod for being "cheap" in a way that no other connector vendor ever has or ever will be.

The 12VHPWR cannot fail. This is the sacrament.
But until we see reports of said cables and others melting which Cablemod have even admitted on their Reddit that their adaptors are failing more than anything else I think that's quite clear.

I've seen that post it's not about belittling people you'd be surprised how many have actually admitted they can't connect this cable to their GPU properly because it is stiff.

All the evidence is out there if people care to research.

I don't see any cables melting or Nvidia adaptors or even Cablemod cables melting it's just their adaptors.

It really is quite obvious what the issue is between the cheaper terminals they're using and the fact it's 4 joints mixed with a circuit board in their adaptors creating even more resistance and not allowing the flow of voltage and heat to travel effectively.

But until we see reports of said cables and others melting which Cablemod have even admitted on their Reddit that their adaptors are failing more than anything else I think that's quite clear.

I've seen that post it's not about belittling people you'd be surprised how many have actually admitted they can't connect this cable to their GPU properly because it is stiff.

All the evidence is out there if people care to research.

I don't see any cables melting or Nvidia adaptors or even Cablemod cables melting it's just their adaptors.

It really is quite obvious what the issue is between the cheaper terminals they're using and the fact it's 4 joints mixed with a circuit board in their adaptors creating even more resistance and not allowing the flow of voltage and heat to travel effectively.
I don't think that's likely because anyone who claims to have a fully inserted failure will get riduculed for not knowing how to plug in a cable so won't bother posting in the first place.

I suspect that getting a connector to perma-fuse is difficult (without overheating, softening, expanding,and backing out) and thus less likely to present in the wild. (I think overheated plastic could become too soft and allow things to change/move) I have seen one from Northridge fix and another on reddit...so two. (Assuming it's not the same eaxmple making its way through different stops on the internet)

If I were GN, I would setup a bunch of tests with just connectors and plugs and then see what happens if too much current goes through a single pin.

How much current is required for softening of different plastics? What are the outer limits of max current per pin from Nvidia's load balancing? Is there any overlap there?

If not, how far out of spec would load balancing (or any other current variability) need to be before a single pin pulls enough current to soften one or more of the plastics different vendors use?

Again, I suspect that GN found a failure mode that starts in the middle of the process rather than the beginning. Sure, "not fully inserted" is one way to start the process, but it may not be the only way. In some instances, it may just be an intermediate point on the time line.

Last edited:
I don't think that's likely because anyone who claims to have a fully inserted failure will get riduculed for not knowing how to plug in a cable so won't bother posting in the first place.

I suspect that getting a connector to perma-fuse is difficult (without overheating, softening, expanding,and backing out) and thus less likely to present in the wild. (I think overheated plastic could become too soft and allow things to change/move) I have seen one from Northridge fix and another on reddit...so two. (Assuming it's not the same eaxmple making its way through different stops on the internet)

If I were GN, I would setup a bunch of tests with just connectors and plugs and then see what happens if too much current goes through a single pin.

How much current is required for softening of different plastics? What are the outer limits of max current per pin from Nvidia's load balancing? Is there any overlap there?

If not, how far out of spec would load balancing (or any other current variability) need to be before a single pin pulls enough current to soften one or more of the plastics different vendors use?

Again, I suspect that GN found a failure mode that starts in the middle of the process rather than the beginning. Sure, "not fully inserted" is one way to start the process, but it may not be the only way. In some instances, it may just be an intermediate point on the time line.
That is true nobody would like to admit they didn't connect it properly like this guy

1st post anyone has seen completely destroyed his PSU side of his MSI but the thing is when people asked him did he have photos before he removed it or when the accusations of him not connecting it connecting it fully started in that thread he never posted again to correct people and I'm sure there will be others who damaged theirs thorough their own fault.

But yes there is the argument that it shouldn't be allowed to function if it's not connected properly hence the revision of the sense pin shortening.

There is not a single case of a direct cable melting in that Reddit since I started looking months ago.

GN did load test with some pins disabled deliberately, Did you see his follow up video? He said it still didn't melt so the correct pins can handle the load and some ( Not officially that is )

I've been hammering mine and checked both sides again GPU side now 8 times ( Not doing it again without buying a new replacement Seasonic cable lol ) And the PSU side once that has been connected for 4 months and both sides are pristine.

As I said on Reddit when you think about it logically with the Cablemod adaptors 100% every single time it's the Cablemod adaptors plastic melting into the GPU socket, There is never any damage to the GPU connector itself it's all the plastic from the adaptors that have melted into the socket clearly proves there is nothing with the GPUs or the GPUs connector as such it's whatever is connected to the GPU not allowing the smooth balanced flow of voltage and heat and it has 100% already been confirmed by Nvidia, PCI SIG and Intel that 3rd parties should be using the NTK 4 spring design which Cablemod are not on their current adaptors.

Either way the fact they have pulled them from sale speaks volumes.

There was no way Cablemod could have tested those adaptors properly over weeks and weeks from the short window they had when they officially released them.

My instinct told me better I was about to order one of those as soon as I could find out if 1 was compatible with the Innos but then 2 or 3 weeks after they were in the hands of users the 1st case popped up on Reddit, I don't know if it's age and wisdom but I always trust my instinct lol.

Last edited:
But I think the melting issues are always GPU end?

I've seen only one reported PSU side 12VHPWR melting. Someone else tested the same model PSU with a fully connected 12VHPWR cable and it was fine.

The melting is said to be user error in almost all cases, and as long as the cable is full connected, it's almost impossible for there to be a problem, even if the connector doesn't have recessed sense pins.

I'm on the fence still. :D

So yeah it is user error if a connector melts and it happens because they stupidly removed the confidence inducing locking mechanism sound. :eek:

I installed a Be Quiet! Straight Power 12 PSU recently which has two 12VHPWR connectors PSU side. I have confirmed all four 12VHPWR cable connectors are properly fitted. :D

I made sure both 12VHPWR cables were properly fitted with the locking clips confirmed as locked in place. It's virtually silent when the locking clip is engaged which is a dumb mistake by the people who designed it.

Evidently it is possible to plug in a 12VHPWR cable where it looks like it's installed properly but without having it locked in place and it doesn't take much for it to become loose resulting in the potential for a high resistance connection causing temperatures well beyond 100c.

Back
Top Bottom