• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Check Your 4090's 12vhpwr Connectors To Make Sure They are in Pristine Condition

Soldato
Will be interesting to see how much safer the 12v-2x6 versions are.
I expect catastrophic failures to drop like a rock, but I also expect some instances of GPU's simply not powering up one day after dusting out a rig or cable management, etc.

Still, "failure to power up" is a much better mode of failure and easy to rectify for the end user.

Associate
Nice toasty one here haha, Left any longer that would have caught fire.

Cablemod said they have been contacting retailers to remove them from shelves but hey look all in stock on OCUK's site.

This is so irresponsible from Cablemod, I hope they get sued if someone's house burns down.

I hate being right but my gut told me these adaptors were dodgy as **** from day 1, I hope it's a lesson learned for all the "Experts" on Reddit that kept saying it's the card and not the adaptors.

Associate
PCIE 8pin has 2 sense cable and the load is distributed into 3 sets of +12V wires. below is the pinout for PCIE 8pin. max power rating for PCIE 8pin cable is 288W meaning each cable carries 8A current.

M3aeL.png
PCIe2.png

the 16pin connection or 12VHPWER connection has 12pin power and 4 pin sense - power is delivered on 6 sets of pins with a shared bus-bar it seems then the total 600W is distributed over 4xPCIE8 which gives each set of PCIE8 150W. the below is the only diagram seems available as per Igor's invesigation on the wiring of the connector to the PCIE8 pins. so doesnt seem to be that the PCIE8 pin are only having 1 cable going into the 16pin connection - at least that would only fullfill 4 sets of the 6 sets of +12V power pin and its assocaited ground.
Adapter-Scheme-Web-4-980x617.png

tehcnically you can easily deliver 600W power on 3 PCIE8 pin - in corsairs adaptor case, it is delivered via 2 pcie8 pin - one pressume the cable gauge is significantly increased for that purpose. it makes total sense for 2 pcie8 pin to the new 16pin connection as each cable is a direct pin to pin connection to the new 16pin
Edit: I forgot to say hi as this is my first post to this forum. I just joined because I saw this post and didn't want to take it off topic. I am just at a loss and there is no information I could find to figure out how to measure the output.

Original: How would I go about testing sense 0 and 1? Can I use a multimeter? I recently had trouble where my card was only running at 78W even when benching and after reseating the cables my card goes up to 350ish while benching. I have a 3 connector that came with the MSI card. I've already tested the 12 pins for power but want sure how to test the output of the ic for the sense pins.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just ordered my 4090 FE, I have a Corsair RM850, is there any need to do anything or am I okay using the cable in the box from the FE? I noticed there is an official Corsair cable which I guess I could get but are there any precautions I should take with the included cable? Sorry not read entire thread on this but my heads a bit scrambled with it!

Soldato
Just ordered my 4090 FE, I have a Corsair RM850, is there any need to do anything or am I okay using the cable in the box from the FE? I noticed there is an official Corsair cable which I guess I could get but are there any precautions I should take with the included cable? Sorry not read entire thread on this but my heads a bit scrambled with it!

You have to make sure it is fully inserted and latched, and *also* ensure it stays that way after you have closed the case. The locking mechanism allows some play / gap [even when it's fully latched] and this connector should not be trusted with any gap whatsoever.

If you get the new connector, you can just treat it like all the other connections in your build and it should be fine.

Last edited:
Soldato

You can use the adapter but if you've got a windowed case you'll soon order the type 4 corsair cable :)

HRL

HRL

Soldato
You can use the adapter but if you've got a windowed case you'll soon order the type 4 corsair cable :)

Indeed, I’ve used a CableMod cable since launch and was able to remove about 1m worth of power cable in doing so.

The standard GPU power cables from most PSU’s are too long and have additional connectors that are surplus to requirements.

Didn’t want the cable spaghetti reducing airflow!

Soldato
So my CM Vertical mount appeared yesterday, this will enable me to remove the CableMod 90 degree connector. I haven’t noticed any issues in 2+ months but can’t take the risk and don’t want the hassle of having to send the card for repair.

Pretty miffed I’ve had to spend around 100+ notes to overcome a manufacturing design fault. Really all affected cards should be returned and exchanged for models with updated connectors. It surprises me how the majority of us will accept such poor products and customer service, me included :(

Back
Top Bottom