• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Check Your 4090's 12vhpwr Connectors To Make Sure They are in Pristine Condition

Ive literally just bought the same psu, Reviews are very good, its quiet and you're not stuck with the 12vhpwr cable.
Yeah its quiet as a mouse, annoyingly I've water cooled every thing for the last 15 odd years, this one couldn't be bothered with the aggro, lancool 3, 7800x3d with a 360 arctic aio gainward 4090, few extra 120mm arctic fans, after a fan curve tweak on case fans its virtuality silent compared to the last system.

I got this Seasonic cable to go with my new 4090 FE but it's not that good as the cable goes straight into where the side of my case would be:

I've asked Seasonic where the Right Angled cable is, as one was rumoured to exist:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/13r515m/seasonic_released_an_official_90degree_12vhpwr

They replied to say: "Like there's now a new connector coming, 12V-2x6, it may take an extra time for usual verifications and tests. So, not before Q4. We will provide more information on our website once ready."

Not sure how this new connector stacks vs the existing 12VHPWR option I have, and whether or not this will have a right angle flavour which I'd still need.

Looks like my new 4090 FE also has the latest revision socket at least, according to this page the new ones are shipping with it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/14x5lif/brand_new_4090_fe_shortened_sense_pins_in

If I can't solve this all in a sensible way I was probably going to look at vertical GPU mount but it's £60 odd for the Cooler Master V3 to solve a problem which a simple 90 degree cable would solve.

Last edited:
They replied to say: "Like there's now a new connector coming, 12V-2x6, it may take an extra time for usual verifications and tests. So, not before Q4. We will provide more information on our website once ready."
Thanks for posting that update, I am hoping that SeaSonic offer a free/discounted cable for those who have purchased a Vertex recently.

The main ATX 3.x / PCIe 5.0 PSU requirement is for it to have an updated design where it's said to be able to handle twice it's rated output for transient loads.

The evidence about the updated GPU/PSU side connectors and updated cable connectors isn't so much about melting.

It's more that the original 12VHPWR cable connectors can significantly weakens every time they're plugged and unplugged. In the case of the Astron cable connectors, it's latch may not be robust enough.

Everything so far suggests GPU or PSU side 12VHPWR connectors will be fine when using cables using the improved 12V-2x6 connector. Not having recessed sense pins to prevent power output if the cable connector isn't plugged in properly isn't going to be an issue when the cable connector uses the improved female pin design and the more robust latch.

A picture of the new 12V-2x6 connectors shows it does indeed have a much more robust latch, and according to Bing AI :D, the confidence inducing sound when the latch engages will be back:

It could take a few months before these new 12V-2x6 cables are made available.

Thanks for posting that update, I am hoping that SeaSonic offer a free/discounted cable for those who have purchased a Vertex recently.

I have also asked about that, as I've only just received my Seasonic one. If there is a new version coming I sort of may as well send this back unless they honour a swap out of some kind.

Will update that here.

Last edited:
Update from Seasonic is disappointing in this regard:

Unfortunately, it's for now not planned to offer swap solution from 12VHPWR to new 12V-2X6. We are sorry for this.

Luckily I only just got the cable so have options, anyone who got this less recently seems kind of stuck with this issue.

I mean if they do update they usually offer spare cables for sale don't they? Not a perfect solution but it's there if necessary.

I mean sure, the new cable can also be purchased, but then the old cable becomes a redundant thing I don't need anymore.

If gunning for relative long-haul safety the standards on the new cables should be better and less inclined to melt.

I mean sure, the new cable can also be purchased, but then the old cable becomes a redundant thing I don't need anymore.

If gunning for relative long-haul safety the standards on the new cables should be better and less inclined to melt.

Yeah it's confusing really. You've got new standard connectors PSU and GPU side and also both sides of the cable. And who knows what needs to work together for it to be effective improvement.

Yeah it's confusing really. You've got new standard connectors PSU and GPU side and also both sides of the cable. And who knows what needs to work together for it to be effective improvement.

Yep I've put a ticket in with OCUK, I'll probably need the vertical mount anyway but I can use the Nvidia supplied cable for a bit if needed whilst this new one comes along.

Edit - Vertical mount ordered it's arriving today.

Last edited:
I don't think Seasonic will issue a PSU swap on this basis, Best they'll do is send every early Vertex user a new cable but only if needed ie if they found an issue with either their current plastic or terminals which I don't think there is as I am yet to find a single Seasonic Vertex user with their cable melt on a 4090.

Until that day I will continue to hammer my 4090 for the remainder of Innos warranty period and Seasonics PSU and see what happens, Right now 0 issues.

They already replied to me to say they would not offer replacements, you'd have to buy it again.
Oh I thought you meant an updated PSU my bad, Well that surprises me about them not sending a revised cable assuming it fits both ways and not split at the PSU end.

I guess if no one is having issues with their current cables then there's not really much that can be done unless their is an issue.

I will say and I haven't tested other cables other than Cablemods cable which I removed months ago because of black screens, Is that the current Seasonic cable is a tight fit and I mean to the point where you have to by force push it hard until you hear a click so I'm guessing Seasonics latch mechanism is much better than others out there, Can't comment on others I can only go off my experience with how they connected between the Nvidia dongle, The Cablemod cable and the Seasonic cable which as I said will not click until it is literally fully pushed in.

From that thread:
"Also happened to a friend of mine that bought a prebuilt, The stock Nvidia adapter was ever so slightly not plugged in all the way by maybe 1mm and he got the melts"

The connoctor can have that much gap when it is fully latched.

I posted pictorial evidence of this here:

The gap in my picture is just the amount of slop that the latching system allows. If 1mm is enough to cause such catastrophic failures, the connectors need more than just being properly plugged in.

They need to he properly plugged in and then treated like explosive ordinance whilst cable managing or touching your rig in any way, shape or form.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom