Chernobyl miniseries - coming to Sky and HBO in May 2019

Associate
I honestly wasn't sure about watching the next episode after watching the first one. You kind of need a week's break between episodes, it's seriously troubling stuff. The hospital scenes and pet hunting was awful. An undoubtedly brilliant drama but horrible too.

Soldato
E4 was a hard watch (they all are tbh). Struggled with the pet scenes, the liquidators just made me feel sad. Its brilliant but I find it emotionally draining, what a mess it was.

Edit the 90 second roof scene was incredible, the amount of tension they embedded into what was basically 4 guys shovelling concrete blocks over a parapet was insane.

Caporegime
Another superb episode. Felt terrible when they had to go round and kill all the pets :/. Pretty grim especially the scene where there was a mother dog and her puppies :(.

Roof scene was immense, I guess the guy whose foot got trapped probably died through radiation :/.

Soldato
Yeah for what was such a simple task of throwing some rubble off a roof, that scene was a fantastically executed piece of TV.

Can't imagine he fared too well after ripping his boot open on the graphite, but then again it was briefly and he had protection on him followed by decontamination procedures. The firemen who died where in prolonged contact with it and had no protection. I'm sure that part was just a dramatized scene anyway, although similar incidents probably happened.

As a bit of context, according to Wikipedia exchange rate in 1986 was $1.3184 for one Ruble so at 800 the soldiers got around $1055 for their troubles.

Soldato
I’m at ep 3 now, sooo those people in the hospital, the fireman and the chief engineer on the beds are essentially wasting away while conscious as the dead cells are not being replaced, almost decomposing from an alive state?

What radiation does is damage the DNA. basically the building blocks of you. your body has a natural defence mechanism that when your DNA is damaged, the cell is told to stop reproducing and live out its normal life cycle and let other undamaged cells replace it. This is normal, and it's how we combat cancer naturally.

A small radiation dose would damage some of the cells DNA, your body would tell them to stop reproducing and your body would replace them using the good cells around them.
now, as the dose of radiation goes higher more and more cells get damaged. and told not to reproduce. the cells are still there, but they aren't going to reproduce and be replaced. so, as is normal, your cells die but this time as they die they aren't replaced. you slowly start to break down. There is a set time table, certain cells have a certain life span. your stomach is about a weeks turnover, your blood is a couple of days, your skin can be about a month. So, as the cells die normally, nothing replaces them. From the point of a high dose on, you are already dead. it's just your cells are moving around doing their thing. They won't be replaced you won't heal. You are a dead thing walking, talking, and suffering.

Extreme radiation exposure... thats bad, but in a way more merciful? The radiation at this point is ionising radiation. This is strong enough to actually destroy the molecular bond of stuff. So, it's like getting hit with a really tiny machine gun. your cells, and stuff are shot full of little holes as the radiation particles penetrate your body and destroy some of the molecules. this starts to kill the cells.

Think of a cell like a steak. now picture the steak after tenderising it with a spiked mallet.

thats what the ionizing radiation does. couple that with the fact that your DNA is destroyed in the process means that the damage is completely unable to be healed.

With any luck at this point you just die. Because anything else is torture unimaginable.

Soldato
I’m at ep 3 now, sooo those people in the hospital, the fireman and the chief engineer on the beds are essentially wasting away while conscious as the dead cells are not being replaced, almost decomposing from an alive state?

Essentially - note how they were playing cards when the wife turned up. They seemed to be on the mend, but due to the severe cell damage, and bone marrow damage, their cells aren't being replaced when they die, so you essentially watch as their body decomposes cell by cell, their skin turning to mush in the process.

It happened to the guy that picked up the graphite in the first episode, but due to the more intense exposure he experienced, it happened quicker

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Can't imagine he fared too well after ripping his boot open on the graphite, but then again it was briefly and he had protection on him followed by decontamination procedures. The firemen who died where in prolonged contact with it and had no protection. I'm sure that part was just a dramatized scene anyway, although similar incidents probably happened.
The liquidators on the roof had the most minimal protection on! Honestly, do you think a rubber suit and some thin lead g-strap is stopping that level of radiation? Answer: no

At the levels they’re talking about, it was the duration of exposure that was the most effective control they had...

Oh, and it wasn’t dramatised. Men actually went up on the roof in short stints like it was shown.

Associate
Oh, and it wasn’t dramatised. Men actually went up on the roof in short stints like it was shown.

I think he was referring to the chap who ripped his boot. May or may not have happened. Certainly added to the drama.

Great use of the Geiger counters going crazy whenever they go near the edge, I'm sure they weren't actually using any as they'd all be off the scale up there.
Bit like the use of the movement sensor in Aliens, great way to build and build the tension.

Soldato
The liquidators on the roof had the most minimal protection on! Honestly, do you think a rubber suit and some thin lead g-strap is stopping that level of radiation? Answer: no

At the levels they’re talking about, it was the duration of exposure that was the most effective control they had...

Oh no, I meant the guy tripping up everywhere and ripping his boot was dramatised, the event most certainly happened. Apparently a lot created their own protection with lead sheets as they show in the series.

They also, according to some sources selected older men for the work, knowing the dangers. There's a Ukranian documentary that you can find on YouTube called Chernobyl 3828, makes you realise how eerily accurate they tried to get the roof scenes in the show.

Soldato
Another good episode. They built the tension really well and the atmos soundtrack was brilliant. Are there any ideas on how many of the 'biorobots' died as a result of their exposure?

Soldato
i have to say, initially i did not enjoy this. i'm thinking perhaps it was the english accents, i'm not sure, but i struggled with the first episode quite a bit. i actually thought the acting was utter gash! but i wanted to watch more so struggled on. i think now that i've accepted the accents it's made a huge difference - absolutely loving this now. even if it is hugely harrowing in some places. that poor sod in the first episode who was basically forced up on the roof, he knew he was going to be screwed but had no choice. radiation or the firing squad. **** that for options. though i'm guessing with hindsight he'd have taken the bullet!

Caporegime
Another good episode. They built the tension really well and the atmos soundtrack was brilliant. Are there any ideas on how many of the 'biorobots' died as a result of their exposure?

There were no direct deaths. 2 of the 3 people that went in the water to allow the water to be pumped out of the tanks are still alive for example. It still makes you wonder what the effects will be in the long term future. I was 6 months gone in my mothers womb when this happened and it was a big fright at the time. My mother for example distinctively remembered being out in the rain when the west found out about the accident and it worried her until birth.

Soldato
I knew a little bit about Chernobyl before watching this but I didn't know about the threat of the water tanks vaporising and exploding, I had no idea Europe was that close to catastrophe! It's a gripping show, it feels a bit wrong to say I'm enjoying watching it, but the atmosphere and tension is superbly done. Jared Harris was great in the Terror and he's really good in this too.

Back
Top Bottom