1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

China's 'wet markets' have reopened

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vega, Apr 3, 2020.

1. RxR

Wise Guy

Rilly. Did you have an impoverished diet as a child or do you perhaps have a medical justification for your aversion to a regular carnivore diet?

Of course, you can also insert your lifestyle preference as a valid answer.

2. rubberduck

Mobster

Ego based meat eating... Are you imagining this person as some sort of Desperate Dan, Duke Nukem hybrid?

3. pooley

Mobster

how is eating nutritionally superior food even everyday to sustain yourself ego? now maybe eating a lot of meat ie bodybuilding then you may have a point..

4. EdwardTeach

Mobster

I think factory farming of animals should be banned. If people can't afford free range then they should get used to eating less meat. 100yrs ago meat was more of a treat. Daily chicken or sausage is not a right, there is no reason that we should be trying to keep down the price of fried chicken.

5. Beerbaron

Soldato

I would like to say I've been vegan since January but i still take Glucosamine Chondroitin and msm tablets for my knee. These are obviously not vegetarian or vegan but i know these work. I also take vegan omega 3 and protein. Other than i feel like i eat more but it doesn't affect my mountain biking.

6. pooley

Mobster

i think all professional physical sports should be banned, no more elite athletes, footballers, rugby players and alike.
    these people are eating and using more resources than needed.. just for our entertainment, very selfish behaviour indeed!
    do you agree?

7. mmj_uk

Capodecina

I'm not an intolerant fascist or anything but ban everything I don't agree with! So the Chinese do some pretty horrendous things to animals but I thought all cultures were equal? multiculturalism is a good thing you all sound like racists to me.

8. Efour

Caporegime

That's what my wife says.

9. Efour

Caporegime

I'm a total racist. I say ban everything not invented by Chinese people. Flipping white European, hypocrite, morons ruining everything with hygiene rules and regulations. As for those religion people. Don't get me started on their fancy "everything must bleed to death" on the floor rules, absolutely the best way to kill dinner.
    Wild, parasite infested animals are just "free range" deffo the way to go.

10. EdwardTeach

Mobster

No

11. Lord-Jaffa

Soldato

Good job nobody cares what you think then, people should be free to make choices for themselves, not be dictated too by virtue signallers.

12. 200sols

Mobster

I agree. Eat better, eat less.

13. FoxEye

Capodecina

I totally agree.

We pay much too little for our food and we expect much too much in return.

Also there are massive problems that stem from this.

1. Animal welfare (we're building and have built mega-barns that house 2 million chickens, or 20,000 pigs per barn.)
    2. Environmental concerns (slurry run-off getting into rivers, ground water tables, etc)
    3. Disease and antibiotic resistance (cows etc are routinely fed anti-biotics in their food just as preventative measure, given bacteria much better chance of becoming resistant..)
    4. Loss of habitats around the world to increase meat production

So many issues borne of a desire to eat far too much meat.

14. Nasher

Capodecina

We would need to cut down a LOT more habitat if everyone stopped eating meat though. Since we would need far more space to grow all the plants to meet demand.

Intensive farming of veg and pesticides are also ruining the soil and making it less fertile.

15. Efour

Caporegime

Last I checked God gave us domain over all lesser creatures. That's chickens.

Heathen god's dont get to say anything.

16. StriderX

Capodecina

What about all the space we use to feed the animals? What about all the fallow fields? What about vertical farms? It's not like habitats aren't being destroyed anyway in the goal of providing the cheapest crappiest meat people can.

I don't really want to get rid of them all, but it really has to be far more expensive than the high-consumerist **** that fills supermarkets and goodness knows what going into restaurant/fast food products.

17. Nasher

Capodecina

Cattle can roam in fields and woodland though. You need to clear it all to plant veg, as well as use chemicals/treatment on the soil.

Then since you need to eat a lot more veg than meat to get the needed proteins and vitamins (even then it's usually still not enough, so we need factories making supplements too) that makes the issue even worse.

18. StriderX

Capodecina

The bean burgers I eat say otherwise. Again you don't need to get rid of it all.

I reiterate that technology will resolve most of this issue this century, people can moan all they want about lab meat, but that's the way we're heading, it'll be subsidised like renewables have and cheap meat just won't be able to compete. I also don't see small time farmers surviving with the deeply corporate changes in the last few decades in the industry, which has nothing to do with whether it's reared or crafted, but it's a point to note. The US is a good example here all in the name of CAFOs.

I know it's the guardian, but it's a good enough article, it does mention a few political bits here and there, it's not important to the story being told.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...can-food-giants-swallow-the-family-farms-iowa

It looks rather rather soulless to me.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  19. Energize

Caporegime

Lol do people actually believe this?