China's 'wet markets' have reopened

Pretty sure we dont need animal products but its very very easy to have a bad vegan diet especially if you eat the processed stuff ,my daughter went vegan ,nothing to do with me ,shes always struggled with iron levels but they have improved and that even surprised me tbh but the meals shes churning out are spectacular compared to my efforts.
Having said that im making stuff more from scratch now with fresh veg ,lentils ect probably end up as a hobby
omega oils were a concern but ,shameless copy and paste
  1. Seaweed and algae.
  2. Chia seeds. Chia seeds are an excellent plant-based source of ALA omega-3 fatty acids. ...
  3. Hemp seeds. ...
  4. Flaxseeds. ...
  5. Walnuts. ...
  6. Edamame. ...
  7. Kidney beans. ...
  8. Soybean oil.

There are problems associated with becoming vegan, the cost for a starter and the lack of any real meat substitute though things are changing, I put some meat free sausages on the BBG for missus last night and they were suprisingly good, not a million miles away from them meat ones I had so things are changing. Also had a meat free burger from a famous burger joint in Florida a few months back and it was properly nice and would not had been able to tell the difference if I did not know it was meat free :)

Soldato
There are problems associated with becoming vegan, the cost for a starter and the lack of any real meat substitute though things are changing, I put some meat free sausages on the BBG for missus last night and they were suprisingly good, not a million miles away from them meat ones I had so things are changing. Also had a meat free burger from a famous burger joint in Florida a few months back and it was properly nice and would not had been able to tell the difference if I did not know it was meat free :)
Aldis no chicken burger ,the plain one is spot on ,loads of fried onion with it ,tomatos and brown sauce

Soldato
Its strange but I still remember the time when they were just called bean burgers or veggie burgers.

Caporegime
Totally agree what China are doing is terrible and worse than here but that doesn't make what we do OK, this thread proves though that lots of people bury their head in the sand about where their meat comes from and are quick to condemn China when we arent much better in regards to animal cruelty, at least I can admit that I am a hypocrite when I eat meat almost daily unlike some of the LOL posters in this thread :D

Totally agree

I eat meat a couple of times a weak because I'm a hypocrite.
Everyone justifies there actions otherwise you'd be ravaged with guilt.

Meat substitutes are getting good though

I genuinely believe one day we will look back on eating meat as we do slavery now.

Soldato
Pretty sure we dont need animal products but its very very easy to have a bad vegan diet especially if you eat the processed stuff ,my daughter went vegan ,nothing to do with me ,shes always struggled with iron levels but they have improved and that even surprised me tbh but the meals shes churning out are spectacular compared to my efforts.
Having said that im making stuff more from scratch now with fresh veg ,lentils ect probably end up as a hobby
omega oils were a concern but ,shameless copy and paste
  1. Seaweed and algae.
  2. Chia seeds. Chia seeds are an excellent plant-based source of ALA omega-3 fatty acids. ...
  3. Hemp seeds. ...
  4. Flaxseeds. ...
  5. Walnuts. ...
  6. Edamame. ...
  7. Kidney beans. ...
  8. Soybean oil.
i ate the vegan way for 4 yrs so its a topic i am familiar with.
there are many issues with it for example to buy all those items you listed they are grown in different parts world then transported to this country which i did, that just in itself will cause more damage to planet than what i do now to go my local farm to buy my meat/eggs etc.. also to time and effort to make these dishes like you say needs to be a hobby i've got better things to do with my time.

nutritionally speaking what not is well known is the lack of bioavailability of the protein and vitamins in the plants compared to animal products such is the need to use additional 'supplements'
what is also not spoke about is the toxins in plants like lectins, phytates, oxalates and alike even a few raw kidneys beans can kill you..
but hey we now have a lot more vegan junk food as it's trendy right now to say meat is bad!

Soldato
The protein and vitamin supplements you need to replace meat are really expensive.

Trends pass and I only know one person who has actually gone "vegan", so it's not as popular as they claim.

Soldato
The protein and vitamin supplements you need to replace meat are really expensive.

Trends pass and I only know one person who has actually gone "vegan", so it's not as popular as they claim.
my point is that a good vegan diet wont need supplements ,but a bad one will ,keeping an eye on my muscle mass ,still in the good zone on my scales but would definitely think about vegan protein powder if i did see a decline ,must be eating enough nuts lentils though

Soldato
my point is that a good vegan diet wont need supplements ,but a bad one will ,keeping an eye on my muscle mass ,still in the good zone on my scales but would definitely think about vegan protein powder if i did see a decline ,must be eating enough nuts lentils though
please enlighten us what is a good vegan diet? even the vegans admit B12 is needed to be supplemented!

Soldato
l get through a lot of marmite but yes your right b complex is a good idea ,as for a good vegan diet ,im still working on that
so why are saying a good vegan diet won't need supplements when you don't even have one, even if one exists?
i have also made some comments to your post with my concerns with the diet which you have decided to ignore, do you not have any rebuttal?

Soldato
so why are saying a good vegan diet won't need supplements when you don't even have one, even if one exists?
i have also made some comments to your post with my concerns with the diet which you have decided to ignore, do you not have any rebuttal?
really cant be bothered ,dont like your attitude ,total waste of time these threads as people like you join in
im out ,need to sort my greenhouse ,toodle pip

Caporegime
Same as me and I have similar views to you

People can usually justify their actions. 'is ok to eat meat here as its less cruel' = what I contribute to is ok

That said what happens in China is absolutely vile. And it is worse than here. If all of those partaking in those disgusting traditions died it would be no bad thing.

So if you do things slightly better than another country you have a right to tell that country they cannot do it?

I'm not saying what they are doing is great. I'm just saying it's hypocritical to get involved in their affairs if ours are no better in reality.

If you watch the documentary on the history of wildlife breeding and the legalisation of it by the Chinese government. You will realise that this happened due to necessity. People were dying so they started eating anything they could.

They then allowed them to start farming this stuff as it allowed them to get back to feeding their nation without famine.

Then it became normal to do so. So now they still do it. As its a cheap source of food.

They didn't just decide to start eating these things they were forced to do so and theb it became normalised.

Like I said if the UK was put in a similar position. I'd be turning dogs here in the UK into hot dogs, sticking them in a brioche finger roll and lathering in ketchup.

People were dying due to famine. It's extremely ignorant to think people here wouldn't do the same at the drop of a hat.

Caporegime

I know a few vegans and none of them have any issues. One of them runs 5-15k every other day too.

You can get everything you need so long as you eat a varied sources of nutrition. Not just eating potatoes and nothing else. Grains, Lentils, vegetables, fruit, seeds and nuts.

Last night I ate potatoes, carrots and peas in a punjabi sabji. Today I'll have kidney beans and potatoes for dinner with rice. For lunch I'm going to have bagel with avocado, tomato and cucumber with some salt and pepper. I'll also have a banana, hazelnut butter, blueberries and chia seeds smoothie.

The majority of folk in the UK eat absolute crap in comparison. They have zero clue about nutrition or their diets. They still believe in myths like all saturated fat is bad, etc.

Caporegime
I'm not saying what they are doing is great. I'm just saying it's hypocritical to get involved in their affairs if ours are no better in reality.

But ours are better in reality. They are better by vast degrees of magnitude.

Last night I ate potatoes, carrots and peas in a punjabi sabji. Today I'll have kidney beans and potatoes for dinner with rice. For lunch I'm going to have bagel with avocado, tomato and cucumber with some salt and pepper. I'll also have a banana, hazelnut butter, blueberries and chia seeds smoothie.

Evolution has equipped humans with four canine teeth, and eight incisors. These are meat-specific tools. Humans have been eating meat ever since we first emerged from the evolutionary tree.

Soldato
I know a few vegans and none of them have any issues. One of them runs 5-15k every other day too.

You can get everything you need so long as you eat a varied sources of nutrition. Not just eating potatoes and nothing else. Grains, Lentils, vegetables, fruit, seeds and nuts.

The majority of folk in the UK eat absolute crap in comparison. They have zero clue about nutrition or their diets. They still believe in myths like all saturated fat is bad, etc.
nutritionally what you have ate is poor, and those smoothies are not healthy either, i used to have those sans the nut butter, they do taste nice tho :D

Caporegime
nutritionally what you have ate is poor, and those smoothies are not healthy either, i used to have those sans the nut butter, they do taste nice tho :D

Lol wut?

Avocado's are one of the healthiest things you can eat.

As are potatoes in their natural form. Much like most if not all vegetables.

Again nut butter is just processed nuts. Smoothies are better than juice so I have a smoothie instead of a third meal. It helps me with digestion the combination of fibre and easy to process.

I've got Cauliflour, broccoli, Peppers, etc as well that I'll be making stuff with tomorrow. Variety and everything in moderation.

Ill make a lentil daal and a veg soup too at some point.

I haven't bought a loaf of bread in years but in small quantities it's okay so I have Wraps and Bagels.

Different people get on with different types of foods.

Oh and I use coconut milk or oat milk which I make myself in my smoothies.

I also eats oats often for lunch as I tend to skip breakfast most days. In them I'll add nuts, seeds and fruit.

When the average person is eating processed refined crap and pizza for dinner. I think mine is much more nutritional.

If people can live off eating McDonald's I think ill be okay. My local one is that busy it has 2 drive thru lanes and it always has long queues 24/7.

Back
Top Bottom