Chinese Grand Prix 2012, Shanghai - Race 3/20

Soldato
When Senna was driving for them, in general, he would make the strategy calls and invariably, they were correct. Even when Prost was there, they "ok".

The problems started when they seemed to have taken the decision out of the drivers hands and placed it in the hands of the strategy team, who allegedly are hooked up to super computers and come up with these poor strategies. To my mind, this was not the case when McLaren won 5 titles in a row (it was 5, wasnt it?).

The most difficult strategy to get right is when the race is inflicted with off and on rain showers, where drivers are making decisions on whether to change to different tyres types. And this is where Senna (and McLaren) excelled.

Soldato
Reasons why Hamilton will be WDC 2012:

1. Keeps out qualifying his team mate, often by large margins.
2. Vettel is nowhere, and RBR seems in disarray over their development direction.
3. Ferrari is nowhere.
4. Mercedes, ex-Brawn ex-Honda ex-BAR, team are good BUT they have a huge history of car setup problems.
5. Mercedes has a smaller budget and usually their developments grind to a halt around the mid-season point.
6. McLaren has a pedigree of constantly improving their car even to the last race.

Feel free to quote this (and possibly smash it around my head) in November :p

Caporegime
Interesting if thats based on the assumption that LH himself is a completely competent driver within the current rules. Doubt that many are convinced he is...

Quite easily could amend point 1 to read that JB more often than not converts decent qualifying into race points, or moves forward from his qualifying position more often than LH.

Actually on face value your points are more to do with why McLaren will be able to win the WDC/WCC rather than LH over JB - on reflection thats quite a large hole in your argument, but demonstrates how little there is between them...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Caporegime
By loose you mean empty right ;). Literally one point over why LH is better than JB while the rest refers to why McLaren will dominate.

Nice sunama-style swerve though ;). Im sure it will be ohsoserious if it comes true come November though!

Last edited:
Soldato
Strategy when he was racing was nothing like it is today or for much of the late 1990's and 2000's.

The whole thing had moved on a whole new level from one 4's pitstop. ;)

This is true. But the rain-affected races (even in the 80s), were decided (many times) on race strategy and tyre choice.

In general, the races where strategy plays a great part are the wet/damp races and Senna was pretty good in those.

Was it not at Donnington, 1993 where D.Hill made something like 6 pitstops? He ended up in 2nd place, behind Senna who stopped fewer times (great strategy), but also drove faster. Senna that day, lapped everybody except for the 2nd place man.

Caporegime
ps3ud0, you gotta take it easy dude.
You have to learn when to just let things go, especially when they mean very little.
LOL you are kidding me ;) Deflecting much when I called you out earlier? :p.

Made me smile though :D

P.S. What are your thoughts on Williams back end btw? ;);)

Man of Honour
Reasons why Hamilton will be WDC 2012:

1. Keeps out qualifying his team mate, often by large margins.
2. Vettel is nowhere, and RBR seems in disarray over their development direction.
3. Ferrari is nowhere.
4. Mercedes, ex-Brawn ex-Honda ex-BAR, team are good BUT they have a huge history of car setup problems.
5. Mercedes has a smaller budget and usually their developments grind to a halt around the mid-season point.
6. McLaren has a pedigree of constantly improving their car even to the last race.

Feel free to quote this (and possibly smash it around my head) in November :p

For that matter, smash it around my head to. At the moment I can't see anyone else taking it. The last race shows how Hamilton has sorted his head out this year, consistency is everything. Had he learnt this previously he may have a few more WDCs (at least one anyway).

Soldato
LOL you are kidding me ;) Deflecting much when I called you out earlier? :p.

No calling out.
No deflecting.
When 2 people cannot agree on something...why bother arguing the same point over and over. Nobody will change their mind.

On an internet forum, which means very little, why not just agree to disagree?

Look at it another way, if you win the argument...is it going to change your life in any way?

Soldato
The development only grinds to a halt as by mid season it's clear they have secured 4th place and they move onto the next car. If they are in the mix I bet their development keeps pace with the other teams.

Caporegime
No calling out.
No deflecting.
When 2 people cannot agree on something...why bother arguing the same point over and over. Nobody will change their mind.

On an internet forum, which means very little, why not just agree to disagree?

Look at it another way, if you win the argument...is it going to change your life in any way?
I do think you have a vague point when it goes to ad absurdum but you ever thought why a forum is called a forum?

Id rather get a (negative) response and respond, than approach it like yourself where you just ignore peoples posts if they pick holes in previous posts. I just dont see the value of using this forum as a written monologue. Perhaps you should get a blog if thats your thoughts?

I do find it amazing how loaded the word 'argument' is in here, when most of the time people are just referring to your point/statement

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom