Poll: Chinese Grand Prix 2017, Shanghai - Race 2/20

Rate the race: 2017 Chinese Grand Prix

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
Once hamilton got away i dont think there was any doubt in my mind he would finish 1st. Was good racing between the two red bulls some good moves by Verstappen and his get away at the start was briliant. Cant see how mclaren will get back on top again they have a lot of work to do. The straight line speed when bottas overtook alonso was massive. Be surprised if alonso sticks around for much longer...

Soldato
I think I read somewhere that the rule states 'within' the grid slot, without providing definition for what within actually means. If there's a grey area I'm sure it'll be tightened up on Friday or Saturday in Bahrain and the world will move on.

Soldato
The Sporting Regulations only state:

When the cars come back to the grid at the end of the formation lap, they will stop within their respective grid positions, keeping their engines running.

Which is barely even grey by F1 standards.

I think it's just become standard practice to start from within the box itself, but I doubt there's ever been a written rule as such. Of course we don't know what's been said in the drivers briefings over all those years.

On that note, I thought we were going to get coverage of the briefings last year or this?

Soldato
Seems pretty clear that if part of your car is outside the box, then you are not within the box, at best only partially within the box. I can't believe he didn't get penalised for starting out of position like that, but I guess it goes to show that F1 still can't get their stewarding decisions correct or consistent. After all these are boxes on the grid bounded by left and right, not just lines where you can put your car anywhere.

Soldato
Seems pretty clear that if part of your car is outside the box, then you are not within the box, at best only partially within the box. I can't believe he didn't get penalised for starting out of position like that, but I guess it goes to show that F1 still can't get their stewarding decisions correct or consistent. After all these are boxes on the grid bounded by left and right, not just lines where you can put your car anywhere.
Point to the bit in the regulations about a grid box.

Soldato
That the best you can do? Grow up.

The FIA has ruled on the oil issue and all cars are now checked to ensure this isn't happening, yet you still persist on trying to spread your pathetic conspiracy theories.

As for Christian Horner, he's always been a whiner. Quite happy when Red Bull were dominating but, since Mercedes took over at the top, finds anything and everything to moan about. He's just bitter as Red Bull should have been up there at the front with the new aero regulations but it appears wonderboy Newey has screwed it up.

And you have been proven wrong:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/130298/fia-ramps-up-policing-of-illegal-oil-burning

'Pathetic conspiracy theories' :) :) :)

Caporegime

FIA stepping up testing and paying particular attention doesn't automatically mean anyone was cheating, it's an example that if and when people start making accusations it's in the FIA's best interest to investigate said claims and then in most of those cases the claim will be around a grey rule or difficult to test scenario and the FIA will often clarify exactly what is/isn't allowed. IT in no way means they did find anything not that they will. It just means someone brought it up so they were almost obligated to look into it. AFter making tests they have accused no one of cheating.

The FIA has clarified things before even without prompting simply because they thought people were getting way to close to the going over the limit of some rule just to make sure it's clear what is/isn't illegal. Partly so that if 6 months from now they find a way to test for something and determine it's illegal on a car then any excuses a team makes can be more easily shot down. The "well it wasn't technically illegal" doesn't work when the FIA deliberately made it definitely illegal.

For the record, after the 'crack down' FIA found no one guilty and no evidence anyone was cheating. There is rumour that they found a dubious result during the last race weekend, followed by a clarification. Now considering it was around cheating to gain more power... if I was to suspect any team of cheating after this weekend it wouldn't be Merc, it would be Ferrari. Which would make Horner allegations against Merc conspiracy theory. Hell, in some cases you might find Horner for instance thinking Ferrari were cheating but thinking the politically better way to go about it isn't directly accusing them but accusing someone else to get the FIA to test everyone(for fairness on their part) which could as a by product find Ferrari being naughty which is what Horner wanted.

Either way, as I said, the FIA testing for something that was being talked about isn't abnormal, isn't new and doesn't make Horner's accusations real. IT's pretty much the FIA's job to investigate such accusations and then when required just redefine a rule to make it absolutely clear you aren't allowed to do it and then move on.

Back
Top Bottom