Poll: Chinese Grand Prix 2017, Shanghai - Race 2/20

Rate the race: 2017 Chinese Grand Prix

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Caporegime
Yeah it was easy to predict and it will be even worse than the last 8 years because Merc will run away with it again but there won't be any decent racing behind to delude yourself you're being entertained. If Bottas finds anything like form it will be even easier as he gets between Hamilton and Vettel. I think Hamilton has 0.4 on Vettel whenever he needs it.

Caporegime
Watched the highlights (it's all I'll ever do now) and it was OK at the start. Boring afterwards. Without wet track this will be a boring year.

Feel for you guys who get up early!

I never minded merc domination. Especially as it allowed them to race. But the rest of the grid was better before

Caporegime
That was the biggest problem. They never went into the rule refresh with overtaking on the agenda. All they had in their brief was that 2-3 seconds a lap faster rubbish, look nicer and wide tires. At no point did they even look at will these cars be able to follow/overtake each other...

You don't get it do you .

They (FIA FOM the teams) do not want overtaking at all.

That would introduce danger and more chance of crashes and possibly people being injured.

It's the health and safety brigade taken over, no overtaking makes things nice and safe and protects those precious princess drivers.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

You don't get it do you .

They (FIA FOM the teams) do not want overtaking at all.

That would introduce danger and more chance of crashes and possibly people being injured.

It's the health and safety brigade taken over, no overtaking makes things nice and safe and protects those precious princess drivers.
What a ridiculous statement :rolleyes:

The "H&S brigade" as you call them, have done more to improve the sport than you will ever realise. Safety of the drivers, the crews and the fans has to be number one or else you'll start killing people quickly. I'm all for living with the risk, but you seem to be a bit confused about who is ruining the sport.

Here's a clue: It is the rule makers that keep mucking up the regulations with short-sightedness and preventing overtaking by mandating aero, aero, aero and not considering mechanical grip. This is why you keep seeing knee-jerk reactions as they can't think past next Tuesday and come up with a long term plan for the sport. The end of last season saw the gap between cars (excluding Merc) reduce as teams were used to the rule set.... so they tear up the book and start again. A 5/6 year standardization of rules which considers the reduction of aero would fix the racing IMO.

Soldato
I must admit I am excited to see that Ferrari and Mercedes look to be quite even. The Ferrari looks like an extremely well-balanced car, which I'd say probably puts them at a long-term advantage. The Mercs clearly have the grunt, but the car looks more unstable. I'm hoping RB can make up some pace with the looser engine development rules. But as you say EVH, these big rule changes only widen the gap between the teams with huge resources and those without. Over time it evens out as the big teams get diminishing returns, secrets are shared and people move about.

Also, I'm quite liking the state of the DRS. It appears to enable the front runners past the slower cars, but the front runners aren't sailing past each other anymore. Forcing the drivers to make overtakes in the braking zones, which is much more exciting.

Soldato
Is Bottas awful or just unlucky? As someone who hasn't watched either race so far. Even Rosberg did better than this.

He has just come to a new team with a more than formidable oponent. I would give him the benefit of doubt and let's see how he does in a few races time. In the past he has had some good results, so he does know how to drive (well). Is he at Alonso's level - driving like an animal, I don't think so! But then neither was Rosberg!

Certainly won't be posing much of threat to Lewis on Sundays at this rate but as has been said before, if he can come alive in the second half of the season, then it could make Vettel's job even harder!

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Apart from the spin under the SC, he was doing a solid job. Moreso in qualifying where he was 0.001 slower than Vettel in P2.

The difference seems to be that both Ferraris occupy the 3/10ths that Hamilton has on him.

Soldato
Well, it was definitely better than Australia, I'll give it that. But then being strapped to a chair with my eyes forced open to watch the Eastenders Sunday omnibus would have been better than that...
Rated it a 6, there were a few good moves and some things to keep attention.
Confused as to why Ferrari took so long to OK that tyre stop for Kimi. Saddened by that Honda being a POS.

Soldato
Is Bottas awful or just unlucky? As someone who hasn't watched either race so far. Even Rosberg did better than this.
He seems to be buckling under the pressure.

At Williams all he had to do on a weekend was beat Massa and come home 'best of the rest'. Now he's up against Hamilton and is expected to at least be on the podium every race. I'm sure he'll get it together. Next year's contract offer, if not his whole career, is dependant on exactly when that is.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Alonso's run of Chinese Grand Prix finishes came to an end when he was forced to retire on Sunday. Prior to that he’d been classified in every race at Shanghai since 2004, and had only been lapped once.

Pretty incredible when you consider the Honda of 2016 :eek:

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Good to see some technical overtakes going on. Maybe not the fight and drama we crave, but for F1, it's nice to see some impressive braking and outside overtakes.

Also, so glad Max is not in a top tier car, becasue he's an absolute star when he's got a job to do from the pack.

Caporegime
Good to see some technical overtakes going on. Maybe not the fight and drama we crave, but for F1, it's nice to see some impressive braking and outside overtakes.

Also, so glad Max is not in a top tier car, becasue he's an absolute star when he's got a job to do from the pack.

Crofty and Brundle wouldn't stop trying to imply the lack of drs overtaking was inducing more 'technical overtakes' happening, it's utter horse ****.

Sorry but we just had a year of people being amazed by the overtakes Max was doing almost all outside of DRS overtakes. Diving up the inside of a corner or gunning it on the outside of a long corner in the rain. It's utter nonsense to suggest that the overtaking being done was barely seen in recent years due to DRS, we've seen plenty of that kind of overtaking. We are seeing LESS of the so called 'technical' overtakes and massively less DRS overtakes.

Back
Top Bottom