Poll: Chinese Grand Prix 2017, Shanghai - Race 2/20

Rate the race: 2017 Chinese Grand Prix

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Just saw a pic of where Vettel started. Absolutely cheeky.

I wonder if they'll come out with some sort of clarification for the next race? Otherwise we'll have this instead of people angling their cars like before. Plus if its fine they may aswell just draw lines across the track and people start where they want on that line! Haha!

Man of Honour
it was bizarre, the commentators didn't even send someone off to the rule books like they sometimes do.

just oh look hes way off the mark, fia no punishment........ never to be mentioned again.

Soldato
just oh look hes way off the mark, fia no punishment........ never to be mentioned again.
I think because it didn't really impact the race in any way they let it go. Horner said he was doing it to get off the greasy lines. It should be clarified either way, can't have people straying across the track.

Caporegime
It was RBs awesome tire strategy that got him where he finished up. The right tires at the right time.

You mean stopping when everyone else did at the start, then Max ruining his tire locking up killing his speed and forcing a pitstop? From the speed Ricciardo was doing being quite a long way back from Max before the lock up, going off and being slow after, it looked like Ricciardo might well be on a one stop attempt like Kimi, going a little slower attempting to get to the end.

Max's stop was basically enforced and his pace made RBR pit Ricciardo as well. It was also the strategy almost everyone else used. Only Kimi that I can recall really was hung out to dry with the team wanting to one stop him.

Caporegime
Also worth noting on the position is, because everyone focused on and talked about Vettel I was looking at him and somehow missed that Hamilton seems like his left tires are probably outside of his box too. Both Mercs are further over to the left than everyone behind them, though no where near the degree Vettel is out of his box.

Soldato
It was RBs awesome tire strategy that got him where he finished up. The right tires at the right time.

As drunkenmaster said (can't believe I've just written that), Max didn't get P3 due to strategy - he pitted with the majority and made no places in the 2nd stops.

He was up to 7th by the end of the first lap (he'd passed Stroll and Perez before their collision), Hulkenberg pitted at the end of the first lap, then Vettel and Kyvat pitted under the VSC and Bottas pitted behind the SC so that was him up to 4th. He then overtook Raikkonen immediately after the restart and Ricciardo a couple of laps later and that was him P2, only losing out to Vettel with his lock-up later on.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Also worth noting on the position is, because everyone focused on and talked about Vettel I was looking at him and somehow missed that Hamilton seems like his left tires are probably outside of his box too. Both Mercs are further over to the left than everyone behind them, though no where near the degree Vettel is out of his box.
In fairness, no one is going to complain about something which is barely noticeable. 8-9 inches is a world of difference compared to the 1 metre difference of Vettels car. His helmet is in line with the left wheel of Raikkonen!

Simplest solution is to make the grid box 100mm wider than the car so they have a buffer to play with. Anywhere outside that box = punishment.

The fact he gained nothing is irrelevant in my book. If he'd started correctly he may have lost positions which he avoided by illegal grid positon. This is as much of an advantage than not gaining in my book. Poor decision!

Associate
Anyone else think Hulk sits quite high in the Renault? I can't find a suitable comparison shot of him vs KMag but his head almost seems to be completely above the cockpit sides. I know he's a taller than average driver but there must be some safety implications?

Soldato
How can he have done it to avoid greasy lines and it also had no impact?
Well, he maintained his position. Nothing gained, nothing lost. He was still slow away, which gave Bottas a chance on the outside. We have no idea if positioning the car like that really helped.

Soldato
What if he only maintained his position because he wasn't in his slot? That would be him gaining, no?
To answer that we have to assume that there was better traction by moving out of position, which enabled him to maintain his place. In that sense, he has gained. However, in doing so all he has hypothetically done is gain traction by mitigating the track conditions, which are variable all the way down the grid. He hasn't gained any places. So your question really raises another, should the grid slot conditions be equal for each driver? And the true crux of your question, "do you gain by not losing?". I think that's for another thread in another part of the forum. <insert philosoraptor meme here>

Soldato
Guys, it doesn't matter. There is no rule about it and so long as he hasn't gained an advantage by starting ahead of where he should have, and the grid sensors still detected the car, then there's obvious reason why he shouldn't do what he did.

Remember they're trying to be lenient with regard to penalties too.

Back
Top Bottom