Chocolate...?

Associate
Hey chaps,

Just wondering if there was anyone on here who knew anything about decent choc? Edible, not drinking. Anything other than Willie's cacao to consider? After dark (70+) stuff.

Cheers.

beh

beh

Associate
Always perceived Hotel Chocolat to just be a slightly upmarket Thorntons? Or at least not really in the same league as Valrhona, Cluizel, Amedei etc.

Soldato
My wife's got a subscription and we get a box of their dark chocolate selection periodically arriving in the post. They are really good, high quality and some amazing flavours. Even the plain chocolate batons (if you let them melt in your mouth rather than wolf them down) taste much better than any of the standard high street chocolates.

Calling them an upmarket Thorntons is like calling a Ferrari an upmarket fiesta. Go to one of their shops and they'll probably offer you a taster, or you can get some of their small packets of various flavours. It's certainly worth at least trying them once, but it may spoil you for other chocolates. There may be boutique produced chocolates out there that are better, but nothing as good from a chain.

Caporegime
Prices on hotel chocolat seem insane. Tempted to buy to try but I can't justify it. Is it worth it?

Tip

Get it on sale, think Easter, Valentine, Christmas, etc etc.

As soon as that particular holiday is over, they do sales of those chocolates designed for that holiday, i.e. Santa Claus shaped chocolates. They usually sell them 50% off just because it is 1 day later.

I recall the box was £8.50 and the mini slabs were £1.50 each.

WRbXefs.jpg

That's what I do, I seldom spend £30 on a box unless for special occasions, and this week I shall be getting their Easter Eggs. Really thick shells stuffed with solid mini eggs that are often alcohol filled ! (no, those aren't my legs lol)

g9LSh8s.jpg

bu5dguF.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Tip

Get it on sale, think Easter, Valentine, Christmas, etc etc.

As soon as that particular holiday is over, they do sales of those chocolates designed for that holiday, i.e. Santa Claus shaped chocolates. They usually sell them 50% off just because it is 1 day later.

Yeah I saw they were flogging off the easter stuff but I think I missed the boat, most of it sold out. I'll have to stick a note in the diary for christmas :p

Associate
Always perceived Hotel Chocolat to just be a slightly upmarket Thorntons? Or at least not really in the same league as Valrhona, Cluizel, Amedei etc.

Yea, same here really.

It's just well marketed high street chocolate, nothing to write home about really.

Soldato
Yea, same here really.

It's just well marketed high street chocolate, nothing to write home about really.

Nah they are miles ahead of high street chocolate and Thornton's, not as refined as some of the high end chocolatiers but really good none the less

Back
Top Bottom