Chocolate...?

Caporegime
... off'ish topic post ...
I do not know if others have the same problem, but in firefox none of Raymonds
pictures are visible, they seem to work on internet explorer and are hosted at
http://i.imgur.com, most other images seem hosted at http://*.photobucket.com
and these present no problem for firefox (my regular browser) .. is this an overclockers forum problem

I use safari - fine, Chrome - fine, iPhone - fine.

Photobucket however sucks balls because on some other forums you don't see the images, just links.

Caporegime
So what does weighing the full item, box & packaging included, prove? or am I missing something? :confused:

sorry I am skeptical about the potential weight of cookies in this one, from description
they'll discover a gigantic cookie-crammed milk chocolate Ostrich half-shell
there are some extensive hotchoc reviews

He said he was skeptical about the potential of the weight.

Obviously there is no way I could separate the weight of the cookies inside the egg shell without melting it, separate it then account for moisture loss...by weighing the box shows the label on the box isn't telling fibs, hopefully giving credibility to the labelling of the box?

Am I thinking too far ahead? :p

Soldato
He said he was skeptical about the potential of the weight.

Obviously there is no way I could separate the weight of the cookies inside the egg shell without melting it, separate it then account for moisture loss...by weighing the box shows the label on the box isn't telling fibs, hopefully giving credibility to the labelling of the box?

Am I thinking too far ahead? :p

Ahh I'd missed jpaul's post :p

Soldato
sorry I assumed from description that there was a bag or loose cookies inside the egg that were not embedded, so at the point where you cracked the egg (the description
even suggest that egg is a half one they'll discover a gigantic cookie-crammed milk chocolate Ostrich half-shell ) you would be able to weigh them separately ...
to establish the total g/£ chocolate measure
if they are embedded it is nigh impossible ... (maybe I do hotel Chocolat an injustice
and loose biscuits is not their style ..I have yet to take the plunge)
.. generally it annoys me when ingredients list do not give percentage of that component . I am not sure what the EU regulation is (muddying the discussion ..will
chocolate prices go up or down - that is as good as any reason, to make the choice)

Associate
That egg shell is like a bigger version of the Rocky Road to Caramel egg they do which has cookie chunks set into the Rocky Road side of the egg.

They do boxes of biscuits by the way. They seem to be branching out further away from their chocolate products, and as a result I think their chocolate creativity is suffering. I noticed BennyC posted the Hot Cross Bun selector in another thread, and in terms of how it's made up it's really not that different to their Apple Strudel selector, both are nice but I don't think the Hot Cross Bun is as good as it has been in the past.

Montezuma do some good chocolate flavours. They still have some things available in their sale at the moment if anyone wants to try it while it's a bit cheaper.

If M&S chocolate is your thing then their Easter products are 75% off at the moment.

Last edited:
Caporegime
sorry I assumed from description that there was a bag or loose cookies inside the egg that were not embedded, so at the point where you cracked the egg (the description
even suggest that egg is a half one they'll discover a gigantic cookie-crammed milk chocolate Ostrich half-shell ) you would be able to weigh them separately ...
to establish the total g/£ chocolate measure
if they are embedded it is nigh impossible ... (maybe I do hotel Chocolat an injustice
and loose biscuits is not their style ..I have yet to take the plunge)
.. generally it annoys me when ingredients list do not give percentage of that component . I am not sure what the EU regulation is (muddying the discussion ..will
chocolate prices go up or down - that is as good as any reason, to make the choice)

Perhaps there area cookies inside, all the Easter Eggs has "bits" inside. I have never bought the whole ostrich egg, partly because I would never spend £75 on it, and they are always gone when it comes to the sale.

bu5dguF.jpg

d7KnNmh.jpg

Soldato
Hi, a friend picked up some chocolates and chocolate biscuits (rejects in clear bags) from a market
Can anyone identify what product they are sold in ?
The chocolates are dark 70%+ with small pepites(coca nibs) and very nice taste/crack
similarly the biscuit is not too sweet with good cocoa content
[what biscuits do you recommend ?]

4a6e9b2c-353f-46ff-8edf-cd8c8024475b_zpseootabyd.jpg~original

Last edited:
Soldato
I have now abandonded toblerone - given their re-sizing betrayal.
This is an excellent alternative (forgot brand : Swiss - Frey White)

0067_zpspulxarwu.jpg~original

more interesting shape and tastes just as good/better
review here
I just need to find a regular supplier as have only been able to get intermittently at local market.

Anyone have any other alternatives ? need stocking fillers for xmas.

Last edited:
Soldato
I do love Hotel Chocolat. But their prices can be pretty ridiculous. I mean £75 for an easter egg? There's just no way I would ever pay that.

I do like their little selector packs though. And I'll sometimes splurge on something like an H-box.

Associate
Hotel Chocolat is good but I feel they've just marketed themselves very well in recent years and have expanded as a result so they're now a known 'luxury' chocolate brand.

I personally prefer Paul A Young but those shops are few and far.

Associate
Anyone have any other alternatives ? need stocking fillers for xmas.

Try mountain bars from Marks & Spencer as a toblerone alternative.

Peanut butter snowballs or just the normal peanut butter truffles from Montezuma's are amazing if you're looking for stocking fillers.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
I prefer Montezumas over Hotel Chocolat, but I'd happy eat both!

Need to try and remember to get the Xmas bargains. Always manage to forget.

Soldato
( Probably need a dedicated tv show thread to discuss their culinary content - as opposed to the presenters & GBBO contestants )

Chocolate/cake related -
C4 Extreme cakes makers, concluded this should probably be called Extreme bad taste show

Seems to be a trend for making cakes that are form(questionably artistic) over taste :
-Fondant icing(excessively sweet, but cheap) used to mould small characters/details - not marzipan - too many nut allergies these days ? or maybe this is a difficult skill.
-some cakes innards made of rice krispies also moulding icing around metal supports (all waste?)
-Excessive enrobing with sheets of laminated chocolate . (6kg+ choc on a cake)
Eg Mollys cakes https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_9cw0WUQAAIsMM.jpg Heavenly http://heavenlychoc.biz/wp-content/uploads/llandeilocake.jpg

lol - In slightly better taste (sic) for a stag do http://www.essexchronicle.co.uk/ima...22/Article/images/29371725/14492877-large.jpg

Soldato
Way too much love for Hotel Chocolat in here. Their chocolates come in at £70 / kg which is even more expensive than the likes of Mary which is leagues ahead in quality.

Soldato
About the new poundland twin peaks chocolate bar
anyone sampled one ? - your pre-orders. ?

I would like to know what the ingrediants are compared to toblerone (you do not get something for nothing)
will this be vegetable fat heavy ? and ultimately when UK leaves Europe be re-categorized as a chocolate substitute when the wounds of the
Chocolate war over after 30 years
are re-opened.
In all cases, no data yet, that they will market a white version

Poundland has unveiled a Toblerone-style bar called Twin Peaks.

Inspired by the top of Wrekin Hill in Shropshire, each ‘mountain’ has a double peak, while the chocolate-and-nougat bar weighs 180g – 30g more than the Toblerone of nearest equivalent size.

Created by Birmingham chocolatier Walkers Chocolates, the NPD will be available from July. It had “a distinctive British flavour compared to more traditional milk nougat bars from Switzerland”, said Poundland.

edit the reference

Swiss Milk Chocolate with Honey and Almond Nougat (10%)
Ingredients: Sugar, whole milk powder, cocoa butter, cocoa mass, honey (3%), milk fat, almonds (1.6%), emulsifier (soya lecithin), egg white, flavouring (vanillin).
Milk chocolate contains: Cocoa solids 28% minimum. Milk solids 14% minimum.

Nutritional Information | per 100 g
Nutritional Information | per 25 g
Energy 2200/525kJ/kcal 550/132kJ/kcal
Protein 5.4g 1.4g
Carbohydrate 60.0g 15.0g
of which sugars 59.0g 15.0g
Fat 29.0g 7.3g
of which saturates 17.5g 4.3g
Fibre 2.2g 0.6g
Sodium* 0.06g 0.02g
*Equivalent as salt 0.15g 0.04g

Last edited: