• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Choices, Choices... 1070Ti or Vega 56

Soldato
Yesterday I sold my RX 580 for basically what I paid for it and now I'm left searching for a decent replacement.

I'm looking for something that's capable of achieving high/ultra settings in most games at 1440p or 4k, and there's a few choices on the table... 1070Ti, Vega 56 or pony up that little extra on the budget for a 2070.

My budget is £400 notes and have been looking into all options for a few hours now and thought I'd reach out to you folks for some help.

Soldato
Think OP should rule out 4K personally. IMO we're talking about having to spend over a grand to run it really well especially into the future
For 1440P, 2070 if you can afford/justify the extra cost. Looking ahead it's the GPU with the most potential.
For less money, I'd say the 1070 Ti over the 56. I'm no expert on the performance of the Vega cards but I think to consistently outperform the Ti you'd be looking at the 64. Depends too if you like to tinker or just want to plug and play. Power consumption I think is quite a bit less with the 1070 Ti. I had one, actually two until recently and it's a good GPU.
Black Friday on the 23rd BTW. Maybe see what offers are on then? Given you're already sold your old GPU, another 3 weeks or so isn't too long to wait.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yesterday I sold my RX 580 for basically what I paid for it and now I'm left searching for a decent replacement.

I'm looking for something that's capable of achieving high/ultra settings in most games at 1440p or 4k, and there's a few choices on the table... 1070Ti, Vega 56 or pony up that little extra on the budget for a 2070.

My budget is £400 notes and have been looking into all options for a few hours now and thought I'd reach out to you folks for some help.

Vega 64 if you have a freesync monitor. Just over £400.

Soldato
OP
I can raise the budget for a 2070 if the performance is there over the selection above, and of course I can always wait for the big day, Black Friday... although might go cold turkey by then?

Soldato
I can raise the budget for a 2070 if the performance is there over the selection above, and of course I can always wait for the big day, Black Friday... although might go cold turkey by then?
2070 ultimate performance is a bit unknown, same as the rest of the 20 series range, but is the one with the future potential in regards to this. One could see it as the "risky" option :). It shows potential that is not fully realised. Whether it will be is the risky part. IMO it's always good to have the current gen, not be buying into older gen, generally(gen gen gen :))
The Ti and as someone else said, even the Vega 64 options are good. I think I'd go witht he 64 over the 56, personally.

Soldato
OP
I have to agree that the 20 series is a risky option, although leaning towards the 1070Ti more than Vega for 1440p purely for pricing, if both do an exceptional job why spend the extra?

Associate
Where did you see this? Thought it was another refreshed of the RX 580? In other words 680.

Yes, it's just one more polaris. It's a tough decision. I'll tend to the 2070, if you can get it somewhere for 460, but don't pay 499 for it. The MSI Armor is a really nice gpu and it's msrp is on the same level, as the 2070s for 460, just retailers hiked the price, because many people want the card. So it would be 380 for the 1070Ti vs 460 for the 2070, which gives you 10-15% additional performance with a new architecture, which might gain more in the future.

Soldato
You don't need a bigger PSU than normal. The Vega cards will undervolt down to around 1 volt. So won't use any more power than the equivalent geforce card, maybe less.

Associate
Had both and sent back the 1070ti. The 56 is a better card with a much better control panel imo, better colours imo, more stable drivers as the 400 series drivers introduced crashes and blue screens.

Also getting HDR to work on the Nvidia card was problematic unlike the Vega card which simply just works.

The Vega card was faster in the latest games such as the Forza 7 and Horizon 4. Black ops 4 was faster on the Vega as well.

Back
Top Bottom