circa 1970 Honda Monkey Bike- Project/Resto

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Originally the idea was for kids to ride them at the Honda World theme park!

They were liked so much, were so reliable, and were cheap... So it made perfect sense to sell in the real world!

Once they were out there, they become very popular, so Honda started making road going versions, and they still sell and sell worldwide :)

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
The new bars arrived this morning, far earlier than predicted?!
newbars1.jpg

newbars2.jpg

They look very good, and means that when I am next with the bike, I will be able to build it up to ride-able again!

I should then be able to make a video of me on it, and riding about a bit :D

This leaves just the headlight/speedo combo to sort out and it should be effectively road legal!

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
I may have gone on a parts ordering spree a few minutes ago... From a UK supplier, for next day delivery.. Not had confirmation yet, but I might have all the stuff I need to finish the build by Friday!!

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Made some more progress.

New bars went on well, although, I had to drill a guide hole for the throttle brace and inner throttle cuff, as this was missing?!

Seemed to work ok, and the throttle went together as expected. The new grips I got were a tad too long, but make a nice squidgy end to help protect the bars from leaning dings :)

I had to modify the new headlight bucket as it was slightly too deep, and was catching part of the steering lock panel. So a couple of minutes with the hacksaw and things were swivelling cleanly. I knew this was likely to be an issue, as the part was designed for later bikes.

Wiring was next on the agenda, and finally after much head-scratching I got the new speedo lit up, and the sidelight. The rear light was not working, dead bulb as i was getting 6v on the line, and the headlight/main beam are waiting on me to fix the dimmer switch which I thought I had bodged enough for testing purposes. However, it would seem not.

How well these will work on a 6v bike remains to be seen, as they are all (bar the original rear light) using 12v bulbs. Not hard to change though!

Brakes were next to sort. I just had to attach the levers, and enlarge the capture holes for the cable nipples, all went well, but I do not have the original lever bolts, and just temporarily whacked in some screws to enable me to test the function. The front brake is really snatchy, and the rear needs more bite, some adjustment is needed.

The front tyre has dropped pressure over the last few months and was all but flat, and I had managed to mislay my shreider adaptor, so not able to test why at the moment. Was just about enough pressure left for a quick ride, so I got on to trying to adjust the carb and make it run cleanly.

Well it seems this is something of a dark art. I read plenty of conflicting advice, and in the end just winged it and have the bike so it (sort of) idles with the choke off. I think its running a bit rich still though as it bogs down a lot in second gear under throttle.

The mud guards were tricky to fit, as they seem to have been made to less than exacting standards. Some mild Clarkson (tm) adjustment got the front one fitted but the rear still needs further persuasion to line up all the bolt points. Job for next weekend I think!

I had to rotate the speedo pickup as it was fouling the fork legs, and tested this out quickly, and it seems accurate enough :)

I really am not happy with the original side stand, and think I need to get a wider one, as I really would not be happy leaving it anywhere on its own at the moment! It's almost toppled a few times. Luckily it can be caught, as it not exactly the heaviest bike on the block! I had to improvise a stand for todays work, you will see it in the pics :D

I am fairly confident it would pass an MOT (bar the lights) as it stands tonight. So looks like that is the next step after the niggles are sorted.

No time for a video of it today, but will get sometime next weekend hopefully!

Nearly forgot the pics...

progress1.jpg

progress2.jpg

Caporegime
briliant bikes someone near where i grew up had one and no one took the wee wee like you would with someone who owns a robin reliant.

pure awesome and they still look pretty cool, beeing 6"6 i dont think i would stand a chance on one though :(

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
I dunno, if i Put the seat up high, I think only the freakishly tall would not be able to ride it :)

Was definately fun to pootle around on it for a couple of minutes, even with a near flat front tyre. I had forgotten how much if I am honest :D

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Necro-bump!
I got this back in full working order today, apart from turning hard left opens up the throttle and the rear light is having a bit of a moment. :D

Only real issue was the carb. I decided to stop just fiddling with it, and imported a refurb kit from the states, fitted it this evening, and its all gravy! Im sure I can do some more adjustment, but it runs and I ran it up and down the road without issue for a good 5 mins. Much longer than I could get it to run for usually.

Going to try and get it off to the local bike MOT station and see what they think needs doing to get it on the road. I will ride it to work this year!

IC3

IC3

Soldato
There's a monkey bike with 180cc or 210cc engine in the local group, I'll see if I can find the picture.

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Went off for it's MOT today. Not expecting a pass, but will give me an idea of what's left to do.
Also booked in my CBT booked on 20th April.
So that gives me a deadline to try and get it registered.
Not sure how long the DVLA take to do this sort of thing, but I think it's feasible!

Back
Top Bottom