Cities: Skylines

Soldato
Does CS prefer cores or GHz? Does it do much with hyperthreading? I'm thinking of my next PC and whilst I'm not going to fully base it around CS it would be good to know!

From what I have noted and read the game utilises cores well.
I have a 6700k at 4.7ghz and all my cores are being used in this game.
Some have written similar with AMD's, upto 8 cores.
I run with a 1080Ti at 1440p using high settings for the graphics.
It is not the FPS that will be the issue but the time it takes for the day cycle to run.
I remember toying with the idea of thinking how much of a difference would a change of CPU etc make to what I already have. From chatting with others who did just that I realised that at the times of my biggest cities the speed was more limited to the game engine being able to process all the agents etc than my hardware.

Mods and assets do make a difference in slowing the game down, as does the size of the map and your population.
I remember thinking that when I had a city of about 600k and it was running quite slow. I download a comparable sized city made from the vanilla game, my goodness it ran so much smoother
Then again vanilla is this game is too boring for me

Soldato
At least with skylines we have the freedom to make monstrosities that bring PCs to their knees. Unlike simcity 2013 "we need to make sure dave with his celeron from 2007 can run it so the maps will be 100m2 in size sorry dealwithit"

For all its fault SC2013 was a great game, especially the multilayer part.

True cities were limited in size but not scope.

Also bear in mind, if you want to fully use the Cities Skylines simulator, and not just a handful throusand pops, you need the realistic population mod. Which tanks even the best cpu out there.

Soldato
I'm having some problems with my new-ish city. I've got 32,000 cims but my population is dropping by 110 a week! I've had zero resi demand for ages. I've got moderate commercial and employment demand, which is being built as office.

Ive got good traffic 85%, enough school places, parks everywhere, good garbage, water, power, health, police and fire etc. Everyone is really happy!

Any idea what is going on?

Soldato
Zoning slowly to build new residential will help those death waves.
I also use a citizen age mod from the workshop as it will vary the age of the Cims moving in. That helps in staggering the times that they will die, to avoid those types of issues

Soldato
^^^ That link isn't working for me.

No, I too am not enthused at all about this one.
Seems to have little relevance for me and my Cities in what I have read so far. Might not bother buying this one.
Probably more excited, apart from some inevitable broken mods, as to what the patch might offer.

Soldato
I'm not sure if I would want to play vanilla. But that is due to the wonderful assets, as well as the mods.
Easy to be an asset junkie. Thank goodness memory prices have dropped.!

Soldato
There is the CSL Show More Limits as well as the newer Watch it! mod to show if you are indeed close to those limits.

I'm trying to think of the name of the mod which reserves what you need for the services to function. CSL Service Reserve, that's the name of it. It might help...?

There is no way to increase those maximums as they are hard coded.
Reducing commercial / industry (increase offices to offset) and better public transport (keep the roads empty) is what I have done in the past to reduce vehicles and agents as best as possible.

Soldato
There is the CSL Show More Limits as well as the newer Watch it! mod to show if you are indeed close to those limits.

I'm trying to think of the name of the mod which reserves what you need for the services to function. CSL Service Reserve, that's the name of it. It might help...?

There is no way to increase those maximums as they are hard coded.
Reducing commercial / industry (increase offices to offset) and better public transport (keep the roads empty) is what I have done in the past to reduce vehicles and agents as best as possible.

I've got 99% of the permitted vehicles in the city.

Soldato
I've got 99% of the permitted vehicles in the city.

when I got to around 600k or so in population I only managed that by severely reducing industry (keep the traffic down) and commercial to almost zero. I then built offices with good public transport. Having virtually no industry or commercial kept traffic down and the fewer buildings overall needed less service support. By then tho the game was lagging.
Not sure what else you can do, perhaps someone else might have ideas..?
Annoying to hit those caps tho.

Soldato
when I got to around 600k or so in population I only managed that by severely reducing industry (keep the traffic down) and commercial to almost zero. I then built offices with good public transport. Having virtually no industry or commercial kept traffic down and the fewer buildings overall needed less service support. By then tho the game was lagging.
Not sure what else you can do, perhaps someone else might have ideas..?
Annoying to hit those caps tho.

I think the problem I have is my public transport consists entirely of buses and trams and you need a lot of them to keep the city moving. I might try building some metro lines and I should be able to get away with reducing my total bus routes (currently have about 150 bus routes).

Soldato
Anyone give me a list of some decent expacs or mods that really add to this?

Going to re-install and give it another whirl.

Perhaps take a look here, might help you...?

There is the roundabout builder I would add as well as watch it, and Elektrix's Road Tools 2.0

I don't use RICO tho.

I could post a link to the mods and assets that I use BUT there is a crapton to go through....?

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the problem I have is my public transport consists entirely of buses and trams and you need a lot of them to keep the city moving. I might try building some metro lines and I should be able to get away with reducing my total bus routes (currently have about 150 bus routes).

No real need to do that perhaps but consider using Advanced Vehicle Options (AVO) to increase the capacity of your transport vehicles. IIRC I set buses from 30 to 90. Allows less congestion and less needed vehicles for each type. I did the same to each of the transport type. Especially useful for metro.

Soldato
I can't imagine this game without mods, perhaps just bland? I've got 4000 assets and about 50 mods. On my laptop it takes 15 mins to load the game then a further 5 mins of freezing and jerking until it is set and runs about 20fps. On the desktop with a 1080Ti and 6 core AMD it's only slightly faster but playable on both. I'm hoping the game has a lot of integration of current mods as thing like Move It should be integral to the game and not an addition.

Back
Top Bottom