Cities: Skylines

Not sure about grids, but I've been playing with circles.

Quite like them but not sure, a bit too formal and not random enough maybe? Don't seem bad for traffic.

circle1.jpg

circle2.jpg

Hoping to finish this at the weekend. Nearly finished making the "shell". Then I'll give it some depth, overlapping faces etc to represent the glass panes - the finer details. Not so flat and boring then. Following that, a cleanup e.g. delete non-visible polygons. Finally will be texturing. Although it is mostly glass so the maps are pretty straightforward!

It's the Shard (well almost, can't go too detailed with polygons in games etc, want to keep it as low as possible :D).

JjBtD.jpg

Absolutely epic mate, amazing work. Can I ask what how many lanes the majority of your roads are, because at that size, it must be hell in there.

Bit late in replying.
I use a mixture of road types start with 2 lane then work my way up if needed, just watch for traffic hot spots and play around with the layout to fix the jam.
I use a lot of buses and tube networks with free travel, also placing the right zone types next to each other so the workers don't have to travel to the other side of town.
Just hit 260,000

2015-03-19_00008.jpg

2015-03-19_00007.jpg

2015-03-19_00009.jpg

2015-03-19_00006.jpg

2015-03-19_00011.jpg

2015-03-19_00013.jpg

Had a mess around with Solidworks tonight to attempt an Allianz Arena. Imported into 3DSMAX for a render. Nearly 13k tris, which is above the recommended 10k, however, it's real world size, which would translate to roughly 38x34 squares in the game (not including the rough esplanade I created. So unless CO increase the lot size, it aint going in the game.

Dimensions are as accurate to real life as I could using a ruler to measure a picture on my screen! :D

4gjg60.png

Thoughts?

I thought about using solidworks but then from past experience the stl files have so many triangles, as you would expect from cad. I figured I can't be bothered to fix it for a game. Best to design it ground up with few polygons. Given the nature of what I'm making, no curves etc, it's not going to have many.

Still, parametric modelling is more suited to buildings and I get fussy if dimensions etc don't match. Was a bit of a fiddle in Blender, but then I got some cad addons for it. Made the job so much easier.

I usually use gimp to get dimensions from drawings. Again, I'm fussy about everything being perfect haha.

Last edited:
I thought about using solidworks but then from past experience the stl files have so many triangles, as you would expect from cad. I figured I can't be bothered to fix it for a game. Best to design it ground up with few polygons. Given the nature of what I'm making, no curves etc, it's not going to have many.

Still, parametric modelling is more suited to buildings and I get fussy if dimensions etc don't match. Was a bit of a fiddle in Blender, but then I got some cad addons for it. Made the job so much easier.

I usually use gimp to get dimensions from drawings. Again, I'm fussy about everything being perfect haha.

I'd love to have the time to sit and learn 3DSMAX again, but its been 15 years since I could call myself proficient! I learned a little SW over the course of the past couple of years during my current degree, so I felt it was a good starting point. I'm sure I could make a more 'tri' efficient model in 3DSMAX if I spent the time, but SW makes it so easy.

Also, I partly did the model as an exercise to see how accurate I could make it. There are curves and details where there need not be. The curve under the canopy and the overhangs of the tiers...

https://christoskoukis.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/40.jpg

...which would never be seen in game.

I reckon I could half it if necessary. Let's face it, for a unique/monument building, even 12k wont break a reasonable computer.

I can't skin to save myself tho!

I'd love to have the time to sit and learn 3DSMAX again, but its been 15 years since I could call myself proficient! I learned a little SW over the course of the past couple of years during my current degree, so I felt it was a good starting point. I'm sure I could make a more 'tri' efficient model in 3DSMAX if I spent the time, but SW makes it so easy.

Also, I partly did the model as an exercise to see how accurate I could make it. There are curves and details where there need not be. The curve under the canopy and the overhangs of the tiers...

https://christoskoukis.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/40.jpg

...which would never be seen in game.

I reckon I could half it if necessary. Let's face it, for a unique/monument building, even 12k wont break a reasonable computer.

I can't skin to save myself tho!

Substance Painter is easy for making professional looking textures on the UV maps. I'd recommend trying the one month trial. Unwrap your mesh in Max, import into Substance Painter, then get painting onto it.

Well finally picked this up thanks to Joelk2, started my first city sorta following the starter guide for Industrial coffee filter layout as a way to separate industrial and commuter traffic. Seems to be working well so far and im off to a smooth start.

Im back to my SimCity 4 addiction of tweaking sliders and monitoring income and ive only started :D

Btw for those interested heres the basic premise of the coffee filter

http://simnation.tv/citiesskylines/guides/build-guide-the-industrial-coffee-filter-zone/

Last edited:
Well finally picked this up thanks to Joelk2, started my first city sorta following the starter guide for Industrial coffee filter layout as a way to separate industrial and commuter traffic. so be working well so far and im off to a smooth start.

Im back to my SimCity 4 addiction of tweaking sliders and monitoring income and ive only started :D

Btw for those interested heres the basic premise of the coffee filter

http://simnation.tv/citiesskylines/guides/build-guide-the-industrial-coffee-filter-zone/

*a note on the purchase Sharp & many others did with me, its all above board and done via the members market, the mods are well aware of my thread*

i started my first city last night also, and on that note i finished my first city too.

can someone help with with the basics of electricity and water? do i need to lay pipes and the power lines?

ive got a noob simcity head on and with that you just plonk a water tower/electricity place down and its all good. but i noticed power lines and pipes on this :confused:

If anyone fancies adding me to steam they can do. Not really used steam before until this game. I did use it a few years ago to play some free games but not really carried on with it. Now I find it really useful and addictive.

Anyway... it's droolinggimp.

*a note on the purchase Sharp & many others did with me, its all above board and done via the members market, the mods are well aware of my thread*

i started my first city last night also, and on that note i finished my first city too.

can someone help with with the basics of electricity and water? do i need to lay pipes and the power lines?

ive got a noob simcity head on and with that you just plonk a water tower/electricity place down and its all good. but i noticed power lines and pipes on this :confused:

When you go into the power or water data views you can see your coverage, the good thing i find is that you only need to connect the power to an occupied tile and it will automatically spread power to all other tiles connected to that.

With water pipes im sorta doing what i did in Simcity4 and making them follow the roads, that way i wont get lost with them when the city gets bigger.

Due to my zones being well spread out at the start i basically stuck a wind turbine for my industrial plot and a separate couple for my residential / commercial areas, that way i can manage the power needs of each area separately.

Also for the water make sure you put your water pumps upstream from your drainage pipes.

Back
Top Bottom