Cities: Skylines

When you go into the power or water data views you can see your coverage, the good thing i find is that you only need to connect the power to an occupied tile and it will automatically spread power to all other tiles connected to that.

With water pipes im sorta doing what i did in Simcity4 and making them follow the roads, that way i wont get lost with them when the city gets bigger.

Due to my zones being well spread out at the start i basically stuck a wind turbine for my industrial plot and a separate couple for my residential / commercial areas, that way i can manage the power needs of each area separately.

Also for the water make sure you put your water pumps upstream from your drainage pipes.

ahh cool, that makes sense.

are the pipes required then?

yeah you need to lay pipes into the areas that need them, you will see the ground going blue for areas that have water coverage.

Also use the Economy tab to adust the funding for water as at the start you will have a large surplus and no point spending 500 a month for 50 a month of demand :p

Also maybe others will confirm but inSimcity4 if your water pipes were shared between industrial and residential areas then they would eventually get polluted but imnot sure if thats how skylines works also.

Hey Joel, got your trust message, thanks.

Forgot about the annoying steam username thing - I'll add you later. <Redacted>
Those with the game: Is it still fun now the intial 'wow' has faded a bit?

Last edited:
Started my new city last night, demolished a 120k city which took a while. A blank slate was needed with all squares unlocked with a nice cash reserve in order to create what I wanted, a highway ring around the main area of my city, with all services on a dedicated slip road for easy of access. Same with industrial.

Looking forward to seeing how it works, and also introducing major public transport and walkways to see how much it alleviates the traffic problem as running the no despawn mod. Had gridlock off of the map last night :D

Also took me a while to figure out that creating zone sectors also has a brush mode, would have saved me tonned of time on my past cities. And holding down bulldoze deletes all types of that object. So mass deletion of roads was made a lot easier.

Last edited:
I abandoned my first city after getting stuck at about 45,000 because the road layout was so bad that it was causing traffic jams everywhere. Dead people weren't being collected, buildings were burning down, garbage was piling up, etc. Today I started a new one and I'm using district policies and better road systems to try to minimise traffic. I was also bored with the standard square or rectangular grids everywhere so I'm trying to be a bit more creative with my district designs.

I abandoned my first city after getting stuck at about 45,000 because the road layout was so bad that it was causing traffic jams everywhere. Dead people weren't being collected, buildings were burning down, garbage was piling up, etc. Today I started a new one and I'm using district policies and better road systems to try to minimise traffic. I was also bored with the standard square or rectangular grids everywhere so I'm trying to be a bit more creative with my district designs.

It sounds like road layout is absolutely crucial. Apparently if a dead person is not collected quickly enough then the entire building is abandoned (imagine a skyscraper business district being decimated because of this) (according to a review i saw)

Will dive into this today :D

Bit of a strange request but would any be able to post their cpu core usage while playing the game on max speed?

I've found the game seems to use more of the CPU when overclocked vs when at stock speed and I can't work out why?

i was having the same issues so restarted again! didnt realise you could make footpaths for people to get around! may help with traffic

Bit of a strange request but would any be able to post their cpu core usage while playing the game on max speed?

I've found the game seems to use more of the CPU when overclocked vs when at stock speed and I can't work out why?

one of the games threads might be maxing out a core and the rest of the games threads are waiting for it, they wait less the faster your cpu is

Here are the graphs. Is there any way I can disable vysnc so I can see if the frame rate increases or decreases? I set it to off via CCC but it's still running at 60.

Overclock

Stock

Due to my zones being well spread out at the start i basically stuck a wind turbine for my industrial plot and a separate couple for my residential / commercial areas, that way i can manage the power needs of each area separately.

I'm not sure that's a great idea, as you can see overall whether you are producing enough power fro your whole city but it doesn't break it down into the separate areas, so you may be generating enough overall, while one area doesn't have enough.

Back
Top Bottom