Cities: Skylines

Soldato
Really enjoying this.

On my first city still. I think I'm at around 10k population and traffic is just beginning to become an issue. I took experience from other city sims to plan out the road structure from the go. It seems to have worked well to far.

Soldato
Really addicted to this, not running any mods currently on my first city with 70k population. Some of the achievements have been very hard and almost ruined my city trying to achieve. the 50% crime one I went from 5m cash in the bank to 0 at the time of achievement, then a further -450k of debt trying to bail out while running no services. Trying to hold 40+% crime for 2 years was very difficult as I couldn't keep the crime rate that high.

Soldato
Looks good ( symetry :D), but why the reversing lanes !? Puts a huge load on the top roadway ( theoratically). Trumpet is more efficient than half cloverleaf, especially if loaded with an extra 2 reverse lanes&exits!

Trumpets for 3 way exchanges:

Or the classic stack 3 way :):

Last edited:
Soldato
I didn't notice the first time I looked :), I understand, but the game also allows the thick red routes though, nothing to do about that though and the traffic usually won't pick such an inefficient route:

So since the traffic isn't that dumb ( luckily) it's not a problem. However, the orange bit is still ''inefficient'' in a way, better replace it with a connection like the yellow one, to eliminate one ''conflict'' :).

EDIT: Meh i'm blind, what I meant is let the yellow one from the ''side'' motorway link up with the main one in that way, so that the 2 ''left turning'' connections don't share the same bit of ''main'' motorway ( like highlighted in the orange bit).

Last edited:
Soldato
Building roads that flow well but look nice is something I'm finding really infuriating at the moment. Keep ending up with queues coming off my motorways at the moment. Think I might have to try the traffic priority mod I saw mentioned.

Soldato
I just downloaded the ''remove traffic light mod''.

On anything but the most busy intersections, no traffic lights are far more efficient, designing roads has been a breeze!

Soldato
Whilst the above is certainly true... it feels a bit cheat-y to simply banish all traffic lights from the city. After all, real cities do have a fair amount of traffic lights

The traffic manager mod I posted earlier is coming along nicely and might be a better alternative. Latest update yesterday the guy has now added the ability to specifically setup and control the timings on traffic light setups - so you can force the higher priority directions to stay "green" for a lot longer and co-ordinate different sets of lights to optimise things... Seems really good :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I feel like people are putting too much stock into traffic. I've never driven through a city in my life without sitting I'm traffic.
I fix the worst of it if there's tailback on highways but otherwise I don't mind a pile of cars waiting at traffic lights.

Soldato
Building roads that flow well but look nice is something I'm finding really infuriating at the moment. Keep ending up with queues coming off my motorways at the moment. Think I might have to try the traffic priority mod I saw mentioned.

For what it's worth I've found the best way is to use a roundabout, obviously, then use a dual one way to exit into the neighbourhood, and a dual one way to enter from the neighborhood but make sure it's further round than the exit.

That and I make sure I have a few exits to service large sectors rather than just one.

Soldato
Whilst the above is certainly true... it feels a bit cheat-y to simply banish all traffic lights from the city. After all, real cities do have a fair amount of traffic lights

The traffic manager mod I posted earlier is coming along nicely and might be a better alternative. Latest update yesterday the guy has now added the ability to specifically setup and control the timings on traffic light setups - so you can force the higher priority directions to stay "green" for a lot longer and co-ordinate different sets of lights to optimise things... Seems really good :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I suspect my attitude towards the scenario would be different if i was actually a politician in Europe. Luckily i'm just a nerd playing a game and my nonchalance has no major effects on the populace.

Soldato

Soldato
Forgive me for asking, but is it available for download ? I can't make heads or tails out of the Reddit discussion, and can't seem to find it, I want it!

As far as I've gathered - the author is planning to allow it to mature a reasonable amount and do quite a bit of testing before committing to a "final" release... (rather than release it too early and end up breaking people's saves when the mod needs to be further updated)

So not sure when it will be released... he seems to put out a new video showing progress pretty regularly though

Soldato
Has anyone got an effective solution for high-traffic input from highway into Industrial area? (IE: 3 lane highway to two lane suburb)

I made my own in Asset Editor and it's super effective but it's ENORMOUS. If anyone fancies trying it out i'll happily upload it to see where we can perfect it.

Associate
Some of you guys are clearly talented at making junctions and stuff! Some of mine look like scribbles :(

I found this guy on YouTube and got some handy tips for city building. He is more form over function but makes some seriously impressive stuff.

There is also a video on train tracks/station placement which is pretty good as well.

Back
Top Bottom