Cities: Skylines

Given up with it, I just seem to get myself tied up in knots with it so when I get to certain points my map either needs serious reworking or it just isn't worth it.

It's a game IMO that requires a lot of time and serious studying, both of which I don't have the patience/time for.

Got this on sale as im doing till I get a new PC. So looking forward to learning and taking my time. That’s the charm for me enjoying the game slowly. If its half a good as the old SC04 and it cost £12 I’ll be a happy bunny. Played the originals in their day and SC was one of my favourites. Used to get lost in it for hours, not play it for a while a pick up where I left off and play for hours again. No kiddies with no skill having to hack, no instant death over and over- Bliss.

Looking forward to RollerCoaster Tycoon World too..takes me back to my seocnd PC game Theme park, although sadly I’m sure I read they are going to charge for DLC for rides etc.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so sure that they'll charge for DLC in RCT:W, as they've announced Steam-workshop support (like Cities:Skylines has)

When you let the community make and release content it becomes very difficult to keep up with + justify releasing crappy little bits of content DLC (hence why the Cities:Skylines devs eventually made a bigger expansion to release as paid-for DLC). I'm tentatively hoping RCT:W will be the same

Given up with it, I just seem to get myself tied up in knots with it so when I get to certain points my map either needs serious reworking or it just isn't worth it.
I was the same. Constantly restarting when I suddenly found myself with a traffic jam of trains or mass exodus of the city population. It does pay off if you stick with the game.

My biggest advice would be to leave a corridors at least 20 squares wide for motorways and main roads. I often found I needed more and more lanes and hadn't left enough room. I used 12-lane roads (one-way 6-lane roads side-by-side) and later on even that wasn't looking sufficient.

Precision Engineering: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=445589127
This mod is a great help too. its a very useful guide/tool and really helps with planning roads, rail, paths in the way you want.

I finished my first city yesterday, all 9 tiles complete. Played it on and off for around 3 months. Reckon it took around 125 hours in total. Probably a bit more as at times I had to just leave it running to educate workers or for a new industrial zone to build.

My city is "Nexus" with a 150k population. Its a European themed city with lots of green spaces and trees with parks and pedestrian pathways hidden away. Its built on the north and south banks of the river flows through the official "Grand River" map.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=542306992
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=542307068
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=542307155
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=542307461

The unique buildings and landmarks are great. The only issue I had were several required you to deliberately ruin your city for a number of years to meet the requirements. Had to get a high crime rate or lots of abandoned buildings for some. Not a particularly enjoyable task to do.

Dont know if anyone can help me but my cities skyline just does not open whenever I use workshop mods. It just does not respond and crashes. It works fine until I try and subscribe to a saved game or a mod on steam.
I just dont understand it, I used to be able to when the game was released. I have tried some of the fixes I found online such as varifying the cache but just get nothing. Any help would be great.

How do you get European buildings? I'm on a European map, but all the buildings still come up vanilla?
The European-style buildings are limited to Offices + High Density Residential/Commercial.

I've seen some screenshots from other players who have Low Density UK style terrace housing. Have a look around the Workshop. Must be some custom assets to suit your needs.

How do you guys prevent the shimmering/aliasing ? I have AA enabled butI feel it has become worse.

Also, how do you guys cope with such big cities, I'm at 80% cpu use with a 4.5 ghz i7, at double speed it lags with 100% cpu use ?

My last city I worked on:
2015_10_27_00001.jpg

2015_10_27_00002.jpg

2015_10_27_00003.jpg

2015_10_27_00004.jpg

2015_10_27_00005.jpg

I agree anti-aliasing has got worst in the recent patches for whatever reason. If you have a beefy graphics card try the Dynamic Resolution mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406629464

At 150,000 population I was getting around 95% CPU usage on my 4690k @ 4.1GHz. Thats with only a few essential mods.
You appear to be running several mods and as I result I'd expect performance to tank even on a i7 @ 4.5Ghz. Might be worth figuring out what mods use the most CPU power and disabling them?

Nice city BTW. Really like those low density residential areas with all kinds of different shaped roads connected together!

Finally got this purchased at the weekend, I've seen some mentioning of putting some mods on, anyone able to recommend the essentials that I should be looking at?

Finally got this purchased at the weekend, I've seen some mentioning of putting some mods on, anyone able to recommend the essentials that I should be looking at?
I would recommend watching some CleaveTV streams / videos on Twitch. He is by far the best city designer I have come across, his attention to detail is incredible.

A list of mods he has subscribed to can be found here.

I am not suggesting you load them all, but some will definitely be useful.

[TFU] Thegoon84;28739618 said:
Are you all playing with unlimited money? Thats what i hate about the game... You should have to work to achieve a great city!

That was the good thing with sim city, no cheating so to speak.

I don't play with unlimited money enabled, but I don't think playing with unlimited money is cheating. It just depends on how you want to play the game. You can either play for the challenge of building up with no money, or play creatively to make an amazing looking city. Cheating would be playing a game with unlimited money off and then entering a cheat code to give yourself funds to afford something you need when you can't.

I would recommend watching some CleaveTV streams / videos on Twitch. He is by far the best city designer I have come across, his attention to detail is incredible.

Agreed. Anyone just starting out or who wants to learn a bit more about the game, definitely give his channel or videos a watch.

Last edited:
I agree anti-aliasing has got worst in the recent patches for whatever reason. If you have a beefy graphics card try the Dynamic Resolution mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406629464

At 150,000 population I was getting around 95% CPU usage on my 4690k @ 4.1GHz. Thats with only a few essential mods.
You appear to be running several mods and as I result I'd expect performance to tank even on a i7 @ 4.5Ghz. Might be worth figuring out what mods use the most CPU power and disabling them?

Nice city BTW. Really like those low density residential areas with all kinds of different shaped roads connected together!
Thanks, yes I use a few mods, I pretty much use all of them though! Forgot about Dynamic res, I even have that mod installed haha, lets see how a GTX680 will cope!
[TFU] Thegoon84;28739618 said:
Are you all playing with unlimited money? Thats what i hate about the game... You should have to work to achieve a great city!

That was the good thing with sim city, no cheating so to speak.
Nope, and not at all, money is a ***** in the early game imo ( I'm always in lack of money early on to build enough power/water/roads), but once you get to high density, making money is easy!

Champion, thanks mate, I'll have a look tonight after tea :)

Back
Top Bottom