Cities: Skylines

I have this sitting in my Steam Library just waiting for me to click on it.

Reading through the thread this game seems really good, but really addictive and very complex.

How many hours will I have to put in to get a good feel for the game?

I wouldn't say it takes that long to get a feel for it, yeah it can be complex if you want to make a large and we'll functioning town, but the basics are straightforward.

Seriously guys, just click that play button and find out! :)

Very tempted to get this game. Annoyed that I missed out on it during the Steam Christmas sale but at the time I thought I had already spent too much on games so I decided to wait.

Might see if I can pick it up on the cheap from one of these CD key sites that work with Steam.

The complexity isnt that bad, its a straight forward game and the only time you'll have problems is when you start to hit population milestones and roads start to clog up.

Congestion is a big one though, the other one that tends to catch you completely off-guard is when your population start hitting old age and dying, you suddenly start losing a lot of the population, which costs you tax income, and bodies start piling up that your system cant cope with, which drives unpleasant living environments for people living in the building, and they potentially will move out as a result. Its a nasty cliff, and you never really anticipate it or realise its happening until its nicely rooted in :D

I might fire it up again in the next few days, its a nice relaxed game and easy to watch time fly by.

I have the deluxe version, and im googling to find out what was the difference, its THAT significant :D...

Decoration-Banner_deluxe.jpg

Nah, not really :D
Theres soooo many alternatives in the workshop (and probably replicas of these with the same perks) that i wouldnt worry about it. I just happened to get the Deluxe cos i found it on Nuuvem cheaper than the regular on 90% of sites, before they got around to implementing the region check on the cart. It was like £14 vs £16 or something minor like that, so why not.

Cheapest place to get After Dark dlc from?

Do you really have to declare you're in the EU and pay 20% VAT on G2A...

Or can I currently be on holiday in a non VAT country and pay zilch, can they find out...?

Not sure entirely, EU law says shops have to charge EU customers if they're buying from outside the EU, and its the shop owners responsibility to collect for it and pay that VAT. The only way they're likely to have an issue with you is if they choose to be strict or they get audited and it finds they didnt collect tax (which is their fault).

I believe Nuuvem goes as far as to check your IP, allowing you to bypass the first roadblock if you use a proxy, however upon removing it in order to enter payment details (you wouldnt send payment info over any public proxy) theres something in there which prevents it apparently (from others saying they got stopped within PayPal).

So clearly any of these key-selling sites could double-check based upon the payment account details, do whatever Nuuvem is doing. If they dont, clearly they're not that fussed. They might block/ban your account, but they'd have a job taking back the keys - again, its their responsibility, though its still fraud to give false details, but whether its actionable is highly unlikely for £5 or whatever, but it is what it is.

Nuuvem is fine, good site - however they do region lock stuff thats supposed to be for a specific region, which is what i mentioned earlier about them making the effort to comply, so if they can make it very hard for a customer to cheat the system, other sites should be able to also (not an excuse, but a sign of their effort).

If you can get onto a pre-order early enough, before they've actually applied the rules as they're told, then they wont cancel the preorder and you'll be fine (helps to check with the supplier or developer though). I got the deluxe version from Nuuvem a fair while before they locked it down, got confirmation from them on Reddit that their keys werent region locked, all was good.

I checked if that could be bought, it stops me at the checkout page saying its not for my region etc. You could bypass it with a proxy, but as mentioned they check the payment account info somehow, so it stops you even making the payment i think (maybe PayPal have implemented something to tie in).

Its annoying really, im not even entirely sure why it wouldnt be considered price fixing. You're allowing some customers to pay one price, and others to pay another price, for no reason other than where you live. Its not taxes, its not any other legal obligation, its price fixing based upon location, and its the studios who are orchestrating this, not the shops (can you imagine Nuuvem wanting to stop customers paying half the price via them, than RRP at our local stores??).

Ok thanks Paul, decided it wasn't worth messing about with VPN's and possible risk etc so just went with a slightly higher price from G2A for the expansion.

Thanks for the info though, good to know in the future, it does seem very silly though that two people pay very different prices due to geographical location when local taxes have nothing to do with the equation.

Slightly unrelated - do you/anyone else play Cities Skylines at 3440 x 1440? does it work at this resolution, or do you need to tweak/fix it yourself for it to be compatible.

Ok thanks Paul, decided it wasn't worth messing about with VPN's and possible risk etc so just went with a slightly higher price from G2A for the expansion.

Thanks for the info though, good to know in the future, it does seem very silly though that two people pay very different prices due to geographical location when local taxes have nothing to do with the equation.

Slightly unrelated - do you/anyone else play Cities Skylines at 3440 x 1440? does it work at this resolution, or do you need to tweak/fix it yourself for it to be compatible.

Works fine at 3440 x 1440 out the box :)

Im 2560x1080, so also Ultrawide, its nice for a lot of occasions, but there are a few instances where you get screwed by developers being ignorant to anything that isnt 16:9, 16:10 or 4:3.
Ubisoft have been doing it for a while, they place filters above the image, but they're designed for the regular 16:9 type size, and then the excess (the extra 33% we get) you can see the filter hasnt continued and it looks damn stupid.

FarCry4_21-9.jpg

Thats FarCry 4, same thing with The Crew, except instead of a fake mask it was with police lights, flashing red & blue in the middle, but not on the outsides.

There are a few variations of issues, but they all stem around the fact that developers dont seem to be aware that it isnt all 16:9. XCOM Enemy Unknown/Within has the cursor in the correct place, but where it interacts is different. Most of the time its older titles or early access. I suspect with them being more common it'll be less of an issue. With XCOM i had to play in windowed mode - not an issue really, cos its turn based so no urgency, but if it was live & competitive, like a shooter, it'd be impossible. More often than not it simply works out of the box.

Wow that is super ugly. Such lazy developers around.

I play most of my shooters on the PS4 so hopefully won't affect me too much.

I do really enjoy my strategy/simulation games on PC though like Cities Skylines, Age of Empires and the Total War Series plus random others like that.

I play ARMA 3 quite a lot too though, not sure how that handles that resolution however.

I'll give it some thought! Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom