Cities: Skylines

There is a huge community run overhaul being tested at the moment.

It overhauls the ai, adds rush hour traffic etc - it combines about 10 different mods and it's aim is to fix the traffic issues. Hopefully it won't be long before it fully releases.

For the Sim City 4 fans amongst us, it is being called the TAM - Transit Add-on Manager.

Wow sounds exciting!
A lot of people are saying the traffic is 'broken' in this game, I'd say 'broken' is a bit too far, you just need to know how to control it, I'm roughly 60 hours into this game and still have plenty of traffic problems, most of which can be resolved. The issues come when AI don't use all lanes and can't reroute whilst travelling to their destination & I think the devs said that can't be fixed otherwise it would require a complete rebuild of the engine... but it seems like modders can fix the majority of it:rolleyes:

Anyone tell me what adding to your collection means? I have the game but not installed yet due to not having a decent PC. I was going to add this to my wish list but don’t see that option so hit this 2Add to your collection” hoping it just gives me aan option to install this when I do get round to the new Rig.

..................The issues come when AI don't use all lanes and can't reroute whilst travelling to their destination & I think the devs said that can't be fixed otherwise it would require a complete rebuild of the engine... but it seems like modders can fix the majority of it:rolleyes:
The developers are capable of improving the traffic system but the performance cost is huge. They would have to change the system requirements of the game. I think most people would be happy with the traffic system the way it is instead of having lower frame rates.

After all, as you say, all the traffic issues can be resolved with the current system. You just need to grasp the concept the AI driving around your cities is following the rules of the road perfectly and they are unable to adapt to the spaghetti road networks people build.

People just need to learn the basics of good road design. Something many people seem unwilling to do and just keep blaming the devs. I remember some of the crazy roads I had in my first city. I'm still in awe the AI was even able to navigate it. Really is an astonishing achievement by the devs that regardless of how bad your road networks are the AI is still able to get from A to B.

The only case I see a problem is the fact more often then not you don't get dedicated left turn lanes. like you would on real road for busy turns coming off main roads. You can work around this by adding a one-way road in parallel but its not ideal. Manually being able to assign a dedicated turning lane would help a lot but you can only do that in mods right now. And those mods are extremely CPU intensive on larger cities.

Hi everyone, just downloaded the free weekend of Cities: Skylines and I must admit as far as stratergy goes it is leaps and bounds ahead of SimCity (Which I currently own).

However my issue is that I'm slightly confused at playing the game what with SimCity being less complex but also worse in quality. So I was wondering if anyone knew any mods which might aid in helping me get to grips with the game or any user guides as I'm really tempted to buy it but it would help if I could play :D

Hi everyone, just downloaded the free weekend of Cities: Skylines and I must admit as far as stratergy goes it is leaps and bounds ahead of SimCity (Which I currently own).

However my issue is that I'm slightly confused at playing the game what with SimCity being less complex but also worse in quality. So I was wondering if anyone knew any mods which might aid in helping me get to grips with the game or any user guides as I'm really tempted to buy it but it would help if I could play :D

This guy is very informative...
Skye Storme Youtube

My tips:
Open the game Properties in Steam & Set Launch Option to:

-limitfps 35

Anything between 35-45 works well and you will have nice cool/quiet graphics card while you play.

Keeping everything aligned and designing nice road patterns is tricky. I strongly recommend the Precision Engineering mod as it takes away a lot of the frustration.

At some point you will goof and have a one-way road pointing in wrong direction. Install One-Way Street Arrows will make the mistakes easier to spot. There is a button to toggle it on/off on the roads menu.
You can use the Road Upgrade tool to flip the direction of One-Way roads so you don't have to replace them if you make a mistake.

Installing *any* mod disables Steam Achievement. Install this mod to turn them back on ;)

To terminate the initial motorway connection. Use a 2-lane One-way road to make a roundabout about 20 units in diameter. This will allow you to disperse traffic in 3 directions and it will cope with all the traffic of the early game until you get the money to start putting in other motorway links.

Worth sticking to dirt roads until you get over the 1000 pop mark as they save a lot of money while you wait for everyone to move in and start paying their taxes :p

Apart from that just read the tool tips and popup tutorials and you should find it fairly easy going.

This guy is very informative...
Skye Storme Youtube
My tips:
Open the game Properties in Steam & Set Launch Option to:
-limitfps 35
Anything between 35-45 works well and you will have nice cool/quiet graphics card while you play.
Keeping everything aligned and designing nice road patterns is tricky. I strongly recommend the Precision Engineering mod as it takes away a lot of the frustration.
At some point you will goof and have a one-way road pointing in wrong direction. Install One-Way Street Arrows will make the mistakes easier to spot. There is a button to toggle it on/off on the roads menu.
You can use the Road Upgrade tool to flip the direction of One-Way roads so you don't have to replace them if you make a mistake.
Installing *any* mod disables Steam Achievement. Install this mod to turn them back on ;)
To terminate the initial motorway connection. Use a 2-lane One-way road to make a roundabout about 20 units in diameter. This will allow you to disperse traffic in 3 directions and it will cope with all the traffic of the early game until you get the money to start putting in other motorway links.
Worth sticking to dirt roads until you get over the 1000 pop mark as they save a lot of money while you wait for everyone to move in and start paying their taxes :p
Apart from that just read the tool tips and popup tutorials and you should find it fairly easy going.
Thank you, I'll have a look at these and see if they sway me to buying the game after testing over the weekend :D

I bought this last weekend and I'm loving it so far! Only got my city up to about 25k population at the moment but I've slowed down to sort out the traffic.

I looked back a few pages in this thread and found a good guide on road layout so I'll read up on that and then make some major changes. For some reason I thought coming straight off the interstate (?) onto a 2 lane road was a good idea when I first started...:D

Spent my first couple of hours on this today and loving it.

Followed a few of the YouTube guides to get my feet and now starting to put my own spin on things.

I see this taking over my life. :D

That was my concern with this DLC update. Having seasons would have been nicer instead of it just snowing all the time.

Are the trams part of the free update?

Still tempted to get the DLC just to support Paradox. If it were any other developer I wouldn't bother but I feel they deserve my money in some odd way :D

I would say it's odd but we all have our quirks. :D

I own Skylines but there's no way in hell I'm paying a tenner a piece for snow and nighttime. It's a liberty and it is an example of the bad side of the dlc system. Any brownie points they earned from making the game got gobbled up by releasing such overpriced tripe for DLC's

I paid a tenner for the snow one, and personally I think it's got enough content to justify it.

Trust me, it makes the game far more difficult than it was originally, and adds loads of unique buildings, strategies, policies and other stuff to the game.

I was umming an aahing for ages over getting it, decided to take the plunge and havent been disappointed so far. It's as true an expansion pack as we're gonna get these days.

I would say it's odd but we all have our quirks. :D

I own Skylines but there's no way in hell I'm paying a tenner a piece for snow and nighttime. It's a liberty and it is an example of the bad side of the dlc system. Any brownie points they earned from making the game got gobbled up by releasing such overpriced tripe for DLC's

Nightime worked out at £4-odd for me at Greenmangaming with their 20% off code- worth it to me just for tourism and they gave the nighttime part (main selling point) for free in the base game.

I think these devs deserve the money for their dlc's because they have made an amazing city sim and they're not EA :D

I paid a tenner for the snow one, and personally I think it's got enough content to justify it.

Trust me, it makes the game far more difficult than it was originally, and adds loads of unique buildings, strategies, policies and other stuff to the game.

I was umming an aahing for ages over getting it, decided to take the plunge and havent been disappointed so far. It's as true an expansion pack as we're gonna get these days.

Where you bought it for a tenner?
No worries found it :D was 14.99 from them greenman yesterday though! (plus with added 20% disc came £8 total!)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom