City Fibre

Soldato
Recently had my TalkTalk installed, has been nice & stable. Great to be able to use DHCP over PPPoE get a little more speed bcs of it too.

DFTGiBx.png

z58MFNp.png

T788oxr.png

Last edited:
Associate
Recently had my TalkTalk installed, has been nice & stable. Great to be able to use DHCP over PPPoE get a little more speed bcs of it too.

I seem to be doing the rounds.. I've actually issued cancellation with no one now. Although they got me better break out vs vodafone (and in the past couple days my download increased from 900 to 940 now), i was getting very bad latency to servers. I'm assuming bad peering from being a small ISP or some routing issue on their network. Eg I'm getting 24ms to this gaming server in london 51.195.189.144. What do you get on talk talk? Expecting it should be around 5 or 6ms given your generally good pings and its about what a mate in stoke is getting on lilaconnect. Same goes for a server on east coast US. I used to get mid 80ms on my normal BT connection and now get 105ms. Testing from a VPS I have in the midlands gives me the numbers i was expecting so its something on either no ones end or city fibre in my area.. Sad journey continues..

Last edited:
Soldato
i was getting 24ms to this gaming server in london 51.195.189.144, what do you get on talk talk?
2-3ms, I'm ~50miles from London for reference, let me know if you want me to ping anything else:
TalkTalk is slightly more pricey than the other ISPs, Voda at ~£30, same with No One. But has seemed well worth it.
TT is £45/mo, first 3mo free, 18mo contract, works out to be £37.50/mo.

G0WUiOd.png

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah.. I should have stopped being a cheapskate and just gone for the £45 a month. Going to try to move to talktalk, although i've noted that now their website says they don't serve my area. City fibre website still links to them as a provider to my postcode. Will call them up tomorrow and see how it goes with an agent. I just want the pings i had before with more bandwidth - is that too much to ask for!?

Soldato
Going to try to move to talktalk, although i've noted that now their website says they don't serve my area.
It's probably just your address since you've already got an active line, you can check by putting a neighbour in w/o an active line.
Same thing happened to me so I had to get another line installed as I couldn't be without internet. If you have internet from No One still I assume if you wait till it fully cancels it should appear back on TalkTalk.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yeah.. I should have stopped being a cheapskate and just gone for the £45 a month. Going to try to move to talktalk, although i've noted that now their website says they don't serve my area. City fibre website still links to them as a provider to my postcode. Will call them up tomorrow and see how it goes with an agent. I just want the pings i had before with more bandwidth - is that too much to ask for!?
Have you raised this with no one?

Soldato
Switch from Giganet to No one went through last night in the early hours. Had an issue where after firmware updating the router it wouldn't reconnect to the internet, rang No one at 08:30 picked straight up and 30 seconds later was back online after clarifying some settings.

Associate
I was looking at No One for my parents (they didnt want to pay so much but providers offerng landline are limited now) it all looked good so I contacted them asking a few questions.

A few hours later I received a response but they had side stepped the questions so I asked them again in a different way with some other ones.

7 days ago no response and even the ticket they created shows it's over due by 5 days.

Not impressed and if they can't even do this simple task what might happen if real issue comes up.

The other thing I do not like about them is the web site has very limited info unlike many other providers who will give you full t&c as well as technical details to do with equipment etc (They had deal on for fixed price yet no t&c this was one of questions I asked which they did not answer)

Associate
I was looking at No One for my parents (they didnt want to pay so much but providers offerng landline are limited now) it all looked good so I contacted them asking a few questions.

A few hours later I received a response but they had side stepped the questions so I asked them again in a different way with some other ones.

7 days ago no response and even the ticket they created shows it's over due by 5 days.

Not impressed and if they can't even do this simple task what might happen if real issue comes up.

The other thing I do not like about them is the web site has very limited info unlike many other providers who will give you full t&c as well as technical details to do with equipment etc (They had deal on for fixed price yet no t&c this was one of questions I asked which they did not answer)
Hm? Their T&Cs are linked to in their website footer no?

I've had to contact them a few times and have had quick responses each and every time, so it's a shame you've not had the same experience.

Associate
Currently with AAISP paying £67 per month way too much, Only advantage is that I'm on a rolling monthly contract. Seriously considering the move to talktalk not overly keen on the idea of being in a contract again though. Do you know if Talktalk is cityfibre local or part of the national cityfibre network?.

Last edited:
Associate
Currently with AAISP paying £67 per month way too much, Only advantage is that I'm on a rolling monthly contract. Seriously considering the move to talktalk not overly keen on the idea of being in a contract again though. Do you know if Talktalk is cityfibre local or part of the national cityfibre network?.
They pick up both generally, if you let me know your area I could tell you if they’re local, but it’s really down to them whether they they take you locally or at national.

Associate
They pick up both generally, if you let me know your area I could tell you if they’re local, but it’s really down to them whether they they take you locally or at national.

Thanks Si I'm in the NN4 area of Northampton. I Was originally with Giganet before AAISP. When i first signed up with Giganet they were using the local network but then changed over to national. Is it just me or is there a difference in speeds between local and national?. I can still push 940 on some London servers but others almost seem like they cap out at about 890 where as when i was on local they would always reach 934+. That was one of the reasons i changed over to AAISP i thought it was because of Giganet's new network being rubbish but i produce the same results on AAISP as i did with Giganet after the switch to National. I'm at a loss really im paying £27.67 more with AAISP for the same as i was getting with Giganet luckily I'm on a rolling contract so im not tied in. Currently looking at my options.

Associate
Have you raised this with no one?
Update to it, to be fair the thought didn't even cross my mind to raise the ping issue. Just viewed myself as too small to make an impact..

Anyway after contacting them they got City Fibre to reprovision the line which was done in a day, it was a city fibre issue in the end as to why service dropped (suspected given they did a visit that day, they shouldn't have done anything but here we are).
After that I proceeded to give them a bunch of data i collected for the ping issue, after doing some digging myself it seemed both servers i happen to be familiar with are OVH hosted and all traffic was going to Lille-Roubaix France (instead of the London datacenter and Beauharnois Canada.

I've had it confirmed to me that they do indeed having a peering issue with OVH so hopefully that will be resolved soon, your welcome to anyone on no one and games with servers hosted at OVH :D

Soldato
Again tonight no one connection all over the place, less than 400mb downstream, fine upstream, this is now actually worse than my virgin connection who I now regret leaving
How are you finding it now?

Mine seems to be anything from 150-600 mostly on WiFi.

Unfortunately don't have a PC to hardwire in ATM to test.

Back
Top Bottom